[NFBofSC] FW: August Chapter Meeting Minutes August 11, 2022

Steve Cook cookcafe at sc.rr.com
Tue Aug 16 22:19:24 UTC 2022

August Chapter Meeting Minutes

August 11, 2022

Hello Columbia Chapter Members, Our current board members are as follows:  President – Ike Nelson, 1st Vice-President – Steve Cook, 2nd Vice President – David Bundy, Treasurer – Thom Spittle, Secretary – Casey Williams, Member-at-large – Shelley Coppel, Member-at-large – Maggie Floyd

Our August meeting was held on Thursday, August 11th and was called to order at 06:15 pm. Ed Bible led the Pledge to the American Flag. The Pledge to the NFB flag was led by David Houck/Frank Coppel, and our invocation was led by David Bundy. Dinner included baked spaghetti, corn on the cob, salad, garlic bread (Ike’s way), water and soda. Thank you for all that prepared, served, and cleaned up for us this evening.

Welcome visitors! We are glad you were able to join us this evening. Ray and Leah Haskins, Joe Haskins, Stevie (Carolyn’s granddaughter) Ralph Morales and Susan Lewis. The Contact Committee is in full swing and most individuals were called. The purpose of this service is to remind our chapter members of our monthly meeting and collect a number of individuals that plan to eat the meal provided during the meeting. In an effort to spend our funds wisely, it has become a priority to prepare the food requested with as little leftovers as possible. Please help us in this goal and plan ahead when possible. If you were not contacted by the contact committee, please reach out to Thom Spittle to ensure we have accurate contact information for you.

Our guest speaker this evening was  Mr. Kenneth Reed from State Parks and Recreation. For our pleasure he brought give-ways including: carabiners, books, key chains, and ink pens. Mr. Reed shared information about our state and the 47 state parks it offers which include waterfalls, trails, camping, fishing, and so on. South Carolina is a beautiful place and has a wide variety of great place to eat. Parks are medicine for the soul! In some parks, you may be able to borrow a fishing pole to go fishing right off the bank. There are discounts available such as group less than 15 can go for free with park passport that he will bring back. With proven disability or proof of age, discounts are available. Take the Challenge … the ultimate outsider…visit all 47 state parks from the coast to the mountains and get a stamp. Parks are ADA accessible. At Myrtle Beach State Park, you do not need a salt water permit to fish off the pier. You should have a fishing license when going fishing in fresh water places. Some parks have primitive camping available.(30 out of 47) Majority of the parks have cabin rentals. There are three levels of options. Wifi is available. As you plan your next vacation, keep our state parks in mind.

Our devotion was led by Shelley Coppel on Impressions…Scripture tells us to love one another. This means loving others in spite of their differences regardless of geography likes or dislikes. New individuals coming into the federation need help as they join us. It does not matter where they started. They need the assistance of the NFB. People ask questions about whether we need help and are confused if we look in their general direction or are able to go to and from. It is not a miracle to us what we are capable of accomplishing as individuals with blindness. This is a way of educating others about blindness and feeling at ease as they learn more about blindness and all that can be accomplished. This is a way we can show love. New seniors are going to be at our state convention. They may ask if someone can meet them to show them around and raise their comfort about being a part of this program.

Casey Williams called the role. We had a full house this meeting. Happy birthday Pam Schexneider, Ike Nelson, Jennifer Bazer, Scott Johnson, and Carolyn Jackson.

Treasurer’s Report… We have a $4171 balance, $600 cash in the bag, $2990.22 available balance. A member raised the question of why a fee was not collected for a trip to Morehead using the van. Ike indicated that he would submit that fee soon.

Fundraisers: We are still collecting metal can tabs for fundraiser. Please remember to bring them in or give them to Pathronda Anderson. The Krispy Kreme fundraiser is complete. It has been decided that for those that participated, 20% of the profit they brought in will be used to assist them in offsetting convention costs. You must reach out to Thom in order to claim your 20%. It is time for the drawing for the gift card fundraiser. A total of 946 tickets were sold to raise money for the chapter. The winner of the $50 gift cards were John Williams and Thom Spittle. The winner of the $100 gift card was Jack Watts.

As we prepare for the convention coming up in a couple of weeks, the chapter agreed to provide $250 towards the John Fling Scholarship fund and $100 towards the banquet fundraiser. A motion was made to raise the donation to $250. The motion was seconded and all said I. The Van will leave at 10 am on Friday August 26th for NFB for convention. If you would like to ride the van to Charleston for the convention a $20 deposit is required to reserve your seat. Your deposit will be returned to you when you show up to claim your seat. If you are not able to ride the van, you forfeit your deposit.

The Columbia Chapter will be staying at Rocky Bottom September 3-5th over labor day weekend. At this time, 10 people registered.

Upcoming Dates

Aug. 26-28th – NFBofSC State Convention

Sept. 3-5th – Labor Day Weekend for the Columbia Chapter at Rocky Bottom

Beam – October

Oct. ? – Cookout from 11-4pm  at the Federation Center

Oct. 28-30th  - Rocky Bottom

Our scholarship winners are with us this evening. Congratulations to Andrew Adams, Matthew Duffel-Hoffman, and Anna Price.

Free Will Offering is being given to Dorothy Barksdale. We wish this could be more, but we love you and are here for you!

Congratulation to Mag Floyd for winning the 50/50! Since the tickets are already brailed, please turn them back in.

Jeremiah Holmes voted into chapter. Welcome Jeremiah.

Please remember our fellow members in sickness or loss: Pat and Dale Woltoff, Tucker and Lois Marshall, Dorothy Barksdale, and many others.

In closing, our chapter president left us with these words, “Let’s not get carried away when we have a disagreement. We are all in this to get and want to work together. Let’s build the NFB of South Carolina”. Adjourned at 7:55.

We look forward to seeing you at our next chapter meeting on September 8th, 2022! At this time, we plan to meet face-to-face unless numbers begin to rise. Our desire is to keep everyone safe and healthy.