[NFBofSC] Convention Bulletin 2023

Steve Cook cookcafe at sc.rr.com
Mon Dec 12 11:06:46 UTC 2022

Convention Bulletin 2023

Hilton Americas-Houston Convention Center Hotel

There are plenty of reasons one might travel to Houston, Texas, the fourth
most populous city in the United States. One might visit for the nearly
three-week-long

Houston Livestock Show and Rodeo. The city's vibrant arts scene boasts the
largest concentration of theater seats outside of New York City. And no
Houston

resident would let a visitor forget that the city is home to the 2022 World
Series Champion Houston Astros. There is little question that Houston has a

great deal going for it. The city's real draw, however, is that it will play
host to the National Federation of the Blind's 2023 National Convention.

It has now been more than fifty years since the largest gathering of the
organized blind last convened in Houston, Texas, and our return in 2023 will
be

an event not to be missed. The Hilton Americas-Houston hotel (1600 Lamar
Street, Houston, TX 77010) will serve as our convention headquarters hotel.

Situated

in the heart of downtown Houston across the street from the beautiful
twelve-acre Discovery Green Park, the Hilton Americas is an ideal location
for our

annual event. Ballrooms, breakout space, and sleeping rooms are all stacked
in the same tower housed on a single city block, simplifying navigation and

minimizing travel distances. In-room internet is complimentary to all
attendees as is access to the health club and swimming pool on the 22nd
floor. There

are several dining options on the hotel's lobby level (including a Starbucks
for those of you requiring a caffeine fix) and many more choices within easy

walking distance from the Hilton's front door.

The nightly rate at the Hilton Americas-Houston is $105 for singles,
doubles, triples, and quads. In addition, the sales tax rate is 8.25
percent, and

the hotel occupancy tax rate is 17 percent. To book your room for the 2023
convention, call 1-800-236-2905 after January 1 and ask for the "NFB
Convention"

block. For each room, the hotel will take a deposit of the first night's
room rate and taxes and will require a credit card or a personal check. If
you

use a credit card, the deposit will be charged against your card
immediately. If a reservation is cancelled before Monday, June 1, 2023, half
of the deposit

will be returned. Otherwise refunds will not be made.

We have also secured overflow space at the wonderful Marriott Marquis
Houston. The Marriott is only a three-block walk directly across Discovery
Green,

or attendees can walk entirely indoors through the George R. Brown
convention center, connecting both hotels on the second level. You will find
many of

the same amenities at the Marriott as well as a Texas-shaped lazy river
pool. The room rate at the Marriott Marquis is a slightly higher $119 per
night

for singles, doubles, triples, and quads. To book a room, call

1-877-622-3056 after January 1. Again, ask for the "NFB Convention" block.

Similarly, the

same deposit and cancellation policies apply.

The 2023 convention of the National Federation of the Blind will be a truly
exciting and memorable event, with an unparalleled program and rededication

to the goals and work of our movement. A wide range of seminars for parents
of blind children, technology enthusiasts, job seekers, and other groups
will

kick the week off on Saturday, July 1. Convention registration and
registration packet pick-up will also open on Saturday. Breakout sessions
continue on

Sunday along with committee meetings. Monday, July 3, will kick off with the
annual meeting, open to all, of the Board of Directors of the National
Federation

of the Blind. National division meetings will follow the board meeting that
afternoon and evening. General convention sessions will begin on Tuesday,
July

4, and continue through the afternoon of Thursday, July 6. Convention ends
on a high note with the banquet Thursday evening so be sure to pack your
fancy

clothes. The fall of the gavel at the close of banquet will signal
convention's adjournment.

Remember that as usual we need door prizes from state affiliates, local
chapters, and individuals. Once again prizes should be small in size but
large

in value. Cash, of course, is always appropriate and welcome. As a rule, we
ask that prizes of all kinds have a value of at least $25 and not include
alcohol.

Drawings will occur steadily throughout the convention sessions, and you can
anticipate a Texas-sized grand prize to be drawn at the banquet. You may
bring

door prizes with you to convention or send them in advance to the National
Federation of the Blind of Texas at 1600 E Highway 6, Suite 215, Alvin, TX
77511.

The best collection of exhibits featuring new technology; meetings of our
special interest groups, committees, and divisions; the most stimulating and

provocative program items of any meeting of the blind in the world; the
chance to renew friendships in our Federation family; and the unparalleled
opportunity

to be where the real action is and where decisions are being made-all of
these mean you will not want to miss being a part of the 2023 National
Convention.

To assure yourself a room in the headquarters hotel at convention rates,
make your reservations early. We plan to see you in Houston in July.

Do you have a smart phone, tablet ETC! How would you like to be able to look
at your calendar on your phone for upcoming events for the NFB of SC?   Are
if you are at your desk and wondering do I have any events scheduled today
for the NFB of SC? Well, we have something that you will really like! Below
is a link to the NFB of SC Google Calendar that you can subscribe to for
upcoming events without having to visit our fabulous NFB of SC website to
check the Events Calendar. Below is the link in which you will need to
subscribe to the Events Calendar on your smart phone or computer.

<https://calendar.google.com/calendar/ical/nfbsouthcarolina%40gmail.com/priv
ate-4df60c862f41a1d9bf2e25ed4a6af1f2/basic.ics>