[NFBofSC] Positive note 1898

Marty McKenzie marty2music at outlook.com
Mon Dec 26 14:27:20 UTC 2022

December 26, 2022
Memo To:  Executive Officers, Board Members, Chapter & Division Presidents & Others
From:  Marty R. McKenzie, President
Positive Note 1898
843-939-8091  marty2music at outlook.com

Dear Federation Family,

The major winter holidays are behind us, and we've experienced some of the coldest weather seen in South Carolina in 40 years.  The work of the Federation goes on though, and we are now looking to 2023 and the events taking place during the new year. I appreciate all members of the Board of Directors who attended Christmas parties and other gatherings to represent the state organization.

We will hold Palmetto Connects on Thursday, December 29, 2022, at 7;30 p.m. and conclude no later than 8:30 p.m. The information to join this virtual meeting is below.

https://us02web.zoom.us/j/8032543777?pwd=QTVQd2RzN3l6QnNmZ0FmSnp6NG8vQT09

Meeting ID: 803 254 3777
Passcode: 124578
One tap mobile
+19292056099,,8032543777# US (New York)
+13017158592,,8032543777# US (Germantown)

The State-wide Seminar is now less than two weeks away, and excitement is building. Please let David Houck know by December 30, 2022 if you plan to attend. Chapter presidents and district representatives, please help your chapter and district members to get in touch with David if needed.  We want as many members of our Federation Family as possible to attend this mid-year meeting.

This is the last week of the Friends of Rocky Bottom fundraiser, and we appreciate all who have donated. If you still want to give, please contact Chairman Thom Spittle at 803-331-3344, or via e-mail at rockybottominfo at gmail.com. This fundraiser ends on December 31, 2022.

As you read about Mrs. Betty Capps, take a moment and absorb her many years of service to the blind of South Carolina. She is truly a legend in her own right.

Happy new year!

Here is David Houck's Federation fun fact for this week! Let's continue to read and learn together about our rich history in South Carolina.

Helen Betty Capps started making the world a better place on May 5, 1931, and, continued to do so until December 17, 2018. Betty Capps, while she was the ever-present loving wife of Dr. Donald C. Capps, was quite an accomplished person in her own right. She was educated with a diploma from Mullins High School, and then graduated from Daruhon's Business College. Her work experience included employment at First National Bank from 1950-1953, the South Carolina Department of Health from 1953-1955, and was a Property Manager from 1961-1985.

Mrs. Capps other activities included assisting her husband in several areas of service including driving throughout all the 48 contiguous states for work with the National Federation of the Blind, all 46 counties in work with NFB of SC, and as a travel assistant in work with World Blind Union in Madrid, Cairo, and Melbourne. Since 1953, Mrs. Capps was an active member at Kilbourne Park Baptist Church in Columbia where Don Capps also held his membership. All her tireless work with the blind over the years won her several high honors and recognition including the State of South Carolina's Order of the Silver Crescent, the NFB's national honor conferring upon Betty Capps "The Spirit of the NFB" award, the NFB of SC's Associate Member of the Year Award, and the Columbia Chapter's Mother of the Year Award. An important part of the "Capps team," Betty Capps always was by Donald Capps' side.  Together they vastly improved life for the blind locally, statewide, nationally, and internationally. She dearly loved her son Craig and daughter Beth as well as their grandchildren who admire her. She indeed will be greatly missed by all.