[NFBofSC] Positive Note 1852

Jennifer Bazer jennifer.h.bazer at gmail.com
Mon Feb 7 13:42:14 UTC 2022

I have pasted it for you below in case anyone else had the same challenge.

After asking folks to contribute information on facts and history of black Americans or to contribute information about our black leaders, the following was submitted by Debra Canty, second vice-president of the NFB of SC, president of the Sumter chapter and co-chair of our fundraising committee.

George Crum
Crum, a chef and restaurateur is said to have unintentionally created the potato chip during the summer of 1853. They were made in response to a customer who sent back their fried potatoes after complaining they were too thick. The crisps were an instant hit, and though Crum never patented the creations, chips are arguably now one of the world's favorite snacks.

Charles Richard Drew
Dubbed the "Father of the Blood Bank" by the American Chemical Society, Drew pioneered the research used to discover the effective long-term preservation of blood plasma. He also streamlined the country's blood banks, establishing methods that were used by the Red Cross. Drew's contributions saved countless of lives during World War II.

Marie Van Brittan Brown
Brown filed a patent in 1966 for the first-ever home security system after wanting to increase her own house's security in her Queens, New York neighborhood. Her original design contained a camera, two-way microphone, peepholes, and monitors, all serving as the foundations for today's modern systems.

Patricia Bath

In 1986, Bath, an ophthalmologist and laser scientist, invented laserphaco—a device and technique used to remove cataracts and revive patients' eyesight. It is now used internationally.

Shared from the Internet by, Debra Canty on Thursday, February 3, 2022