[NFBofSC] Fishing Email messages

Jennifer Bazer jennifer.h.bazer at gmail.com
Tue Feb 15 20:03:56 UTC 2022

I know that several of you have asked me about possible spam messages from
me. Apparently other affiliate presidents have been getting this as well and
here is President Riccobono's response. If it sounds fishy or something I
may not say, please delete or contact me to ask. Thank you all!

>From President Riccobono

Protecting Our Treasury from Phishing Emails:

Several of our affiliate and division leaders have received spam and
phishing emails from what looks like other leaders within the organization.
These emails have directed people to purchase gift cards or make sure Venmo,
Zelle, or other electronic payment systems are set up to the bank account.
These emails are not legitimate and should be deleted immediately. We have
always recommended affiliates, divisions, and chapters issue payment by
check once appropriate documentation is provided. We continue to recommend
check as the only payment option. We do not recommend NFB organizations make
electronic payments because few of our organizations have the capacity or
accounting controls to initiate, manage, or track electronic payments. In
our recent presidents retreat meeting, we discussed receiving income through
electronic systems such as PayPal and Zelle; these transactions come into
the organization's bank account through systems that were set up by the
organization. You should never provide your bank account information to
another party. If you receive an email from the affiliate or division
president directing a transfer be made, you should contact the president
directly by phone. If an email system has been compromised, responding or
sending a separate email to the same address may be intercepted by a third
party trying to steal funds. If you receive an unexpected email from a
president or treasurer directing you to purchase gift cards or send money to
a Zelle account for the organization, contact that person by phone
immediately. Unexpected or unusual requests and requests without backup
documentation should always be questioned. It is the job of every
Federationist to protect the funds of our organizations.