[NFBofSC] Positive Note 1855

Jennifer Bazer jennifer.h.bazer at gmail.com
Mon Feb 28 12:59:52 UTC 2022

February 28, 2022

From:  Jennifer Bazer, President

Positive Note 1855

803-960-9977

  Jennifer.H.Bazer at gmail.com <mailto:Jennifer.H.Bazer at gmail.com>

          Greetings Fellow Federationists:

I cannot believe February is coming to a close and we are diving into March.
I am currently in Minneapolis, Minnesota for a week. I will be touring Blind
Incorporated, one of the National Federation of the Blind's training centers
while I am in the Twin Cities. My hope is also to connect with Ryan Strunk,
affiliate president of Minnesota. As always, I am available to all of you;
just wanted you all to know that I am an hour behind all of you until March
6 so when you text or call, just a friendly reminder.

I want to share a few things for the upcoming week. Please insure if you
wish to support Computer Science and Technology division, please purchase
your tickets for the drawing on March 3 during Palmetto Connects by 5:00 PM
on March 3.. Information follows below for this drawing or you may contact
Steve Cook, President of the division at 803-254-0222. Also, get your money
in for the senior division drawing and Merchants' Division drawing. You may
find information about all of these drawings below or contact the
respective president of each division to make sure your information is
received for those drawings. They will be held on March 3 during Palmetto
Connects. Don't delay in getting it in; you may win! Girl scout cookies are
coming to a close this week. If you need more, contact me. Currently, Kaylin
has sold 773 boxes and I will give 10% of her total sales back to the NFB of
SC. Don't forget to enter the Talent show; all entries due by 11:59 PM
Eastern on February 28, 2022; voting continues until March 19 at 2:00 PM
Eastern.

The board of the National Federation of the Blind of SC voted during
Thursday's meeting that all dues for 2022 must be in and membership form
completed by 11:59 PM Eastern on May 31 in order to vote during the election
at the state convention in North Charleston August 25-28. After May 31,
folks can still become members of our organization; however, they will not
be eligible to vote at the end of August. Please insure all dues and forms
are complete by this deadline. We appreciate your assistance with this
process.

Additional Black History Information

Thank you to Patricia Smith Jenkins for submitting the following information
to continue the observance of black history month.

Amanda Gorman recited her poem "The Hill We Climb."Credit...Ruth Fremson/The
New York Times

Raphael Warnock is the first Black senator elected in the state of
Georgia.Credit...Stefani Reynolds for The New York Times

Tishaura Jones became
<https://www.nytimes.com/2021/04/07/us/st-louis-mayoral-election-tishaura-jo
nes.html> the first Black woman to be elected mayor of St. Louis. In fact,
for a brief period of time during the summer and fall, there were
<https://www.nytimes.com/2021/10/27/us/black-women-mayor-us-cities.html> a
record number of Black women mayors at the helm of large U.S. cities.

March is Women's History Month

As we slide into March on Tuesday, we want to remember Women's History
month. If you have facts or information to share, please feel free to email
me with submissions.

          Girl Scout Cookies, Purchases will Benefit NFB of SC and they have
arrived!

          Girl scout cookies are selling out fast! Peanut butter sandwiches
and caramel delights are hard to get! Only one week left; don't delay, get
yours today!

          My daughter Kaylin is selling girl scout cookies again this year.
She was the top seller in her troop 3395. Let's see if she can be the top
seller again in 2022. Last year, I personally donated 10% of all her sales
to the NFB of SC which was $250. Will you help her and the NFB of SC by
purchasing girl scout cookies?  Adventurefuls, Indulgent brownie inspired
cookie with caramel flavored cream with a hit of sea salt, Toas/Yay,
Lemonades, Shortbreads, Thin Mints, PB Patties, Caramel Delights, PB
Sandwiches.  $5 per box

          I will deliver in South Carolina or you can order online and they
will ship from her personal link.

https://app.abcsmartcookies.com/?fbclid=IwAR0V1MEO_sGolJCpSWwu5gj7PaG1FleZh8
A51a7LHVtcV14nAHHcl94maY0#/social-link-landing/0207a3a1-8f94-4a0e-8f56-46a8f
f27810f

          Thank you for your support of Kaylin and troop 3395 along with the
NFB of SC!

          Vote, Vote, Vote, Talent Show NFB of SC

         We have several contestants in the 2022 Talent Show! You can go to
www.nfbofsc.org <http://www.nfbofsc.org>  and click on the Talent Show
heading to view the contestants entries. Once you have enjoyed the great
talent, click on the donations link to vote via secure PayPal. You will need
to go to the NFB of SC PayPal button to vote. For example, if you donate $50
for Contestant 1, this will give her 50 votes! Each dollar counts as 1 vote
for the contestant in which you vote for. Be sure to put the contestants
number in the notes field when donating via PayPal.  Thank you for
supporting the National federation of the Blind of SC!

          Calling All Talent!

 NATIONAL FEDERATION OF THE BLIND OF SC PRESENTS THE 2ND TALENT SHOW HOSTED
BY THE FUNDRAISING COMMITTEE This event will take place on March 19, 2022 at
4PM  INTERESTED??? If so, here's how to enter:  To register pay a 15-dollar
registration fee to the Fundraiser Committee go to  <http://www.nfbofsc.org>
www.nfbofsc.org and click donations and choose NFB OF SC PayPal(make sure to
put Talent Show Registration in memo field). Then submit your information
including name, phone and/or email address to
<mailto:nfbofscfundraiser at gmail.com> nfbofscfundraiser at gmail.com. Once you
have submitted your registration you must create and submit a 90 second
video or audio of your talent to  <mailto:cookcafe at sc.rr.com>
cookcafe at sc.rr.com.  RULES

. All video or audio submissions must be no longer than 90seconds.

. All submissions need to be in by the deadline of February 28, 2022

. All voting should be placed by 2PM March19, 2022.

*No exceptions all rules enforced*

Here's how to win and what you win:

Each dollar raised is 1 vote. The contestants that raise the most money in
votes from friends, family, etc. take home the CASH. To cast your vote, go
to www.nfbofsc.org <http://www.nfbofsc.org>  and click donations and choose
NFB OF SC PayPal (make sure to put the contestant's number in the memo
field)  1st place 10%, 2nd place 5%, and 3rd place 3% of all proceeds

          Palmetto Connects, Thursday, March 3, 2022, 6PM

          Palmetto Connects will be held Thursday, March 3, 2022 at 6:00 PM
Eastern on the Federation zoom platform. I look forward to seeing all of you
for happenings in the NFB of SC! Please note, this is not for just leaders,
it is for all of us around the state and beyond. We will have drawings that
we were unable to have during statewide seminar including CSTD, Seniors, and
Blind Merchants. Please insure you have entered these drawings if you want a
chance to win!

          Medical Equipment Application

          The Talking Medical Device Application is now on www.nfbofsc.org
<http://www.nfbofsc.org> .  If anyone does not use computers and needs a
form mailed to them, please let me know and I can send them one by mail.  My
number is (803) 605-4250.  Remember, in order for the applications to be
complete, we need a statement from your doctor attesting to the fact that
you have a health condition that requires monitoring. This program is funded
by an Aflac grant that was awarded to the Federation Center of the Blind.
-Shannon Cook

          NFB of SC Jackets

          Note, this is a project of Frank Loza personally and 25% of the
proceeds benefit the Federation Center in Columbia.  From Frank Loza:

          Get your National Federation of the Blind jackets.  There is two
kinds that you can get.

One is a micro fiber that comes in black or blue, in sizes small to 4x.  The
other one is polyester blend that comes in black, blue and gray, in sizes
small to 5x.  On the back of the jacket it has our national logo.  Under
that it has National Federation of the Blind.  And under that it has, live
the life you want.  On the front left side it has NFB of SC.  If there is
any other states that would like to have one of these jackets, it can be
made according to your state.  The logo and lettering is embroidered, so it
can be felt.  The micro fiber is eighty dollars and the polyester blend is
seventy five dollars.  If you have any questions, you can call Frank Loza
at, 803-617-8016 and it can be explained in more detail.  Payment can be
made with check, money order, Paypal or Zelle.  If you pay by Paypal or
Zelle, you make the payment to my email, which is, floza58 at bellsouth.net
<mailto:floza58 at bellsouth.net> .  Join all the other Federationests that
really like their jackets.  And for all you other states join the states
that have bought their jackets already.  Thank you so very much.

          New Orleans

WHAT? New Orleans Here We Come!!!

WHO? The National Federation of the Blind of South Carolina!!!

WHAT? Offering an opportunity to win a 6-day 7-night stay during our
National Convention!!!

WHEN? July 4th through July 10th at the Marriot located at 555 Canal Street,
New Orleans.

WHAT SHOULD I DO? Purchase tickets which are 1 for five-dollars and 3 for
ten-dollars. For every thirty-dollars you donate, then you will have a
chance to win one-hundred dollars in CASH! The winner will either win a room
or funds will be applied to your previously reserved room.

WHAT DO I GET? Hotel accommodations for the room. If the convention is
cancelled the winner will take home the cash.

HOW will I win? You can send your donation to NFB of SC PayPal at
www.nfbofsc.org <http://www.nfbofsc.org> . You may also mail a check, cash
or money order to NFB of SC and mail to 119 S. Kilbourne Road, Columbia, SC
29205 and please make sure to put Hotel Tickets in the for/memo field. To
have your information placed into the drawing please send us an email with
your name and best reached phone number to, nfbofscfundraiser at gmail.com
<mailto:nfbofscfundraiser at gmail.com> .

WHAT SHOULD I KNOW? In order for the winner to have enough time to cancel
previous reservations, WHEN IS THE DRAWING? The drawing will take place on
Monday May 30, 2022 at 5:30pm on the Federation zoom platform.

WHAT IS THE ZOOM INFO?

Join Zoom Meeting

https://us02web.zoom.us/j/8032543777?pwd=QTVQd2RzN3l6QnNmZ0FmSnp6NG8vQT09

Meeting ID: 803 254 3777

Passcode: 124578

One tap mobile

+19292056099,,8032543777# US (New York)

Easy way to add to your contacts for a quick connection.

9292056099,,,8032543777#

          Thank you for your support to the National Federation of the Blind
of South Carolina-Fundraising Committee!!!  For more information please
contact Andrew Adams at (803)269-3803 or Debra Canty at (803)775-5792
Co-chairs of Fundraiser Committee.

          Convention Planning Committee Seeks

          The Convention Planning Committee is asking all Chapter and
Divisions to donate at least 25 dollars for a fundraiser we are working on.
This fundraiser will help offset some of the cost of our State Convention
and possibly help more of our members be able to attend in person.  You may
send check to the state office at 119 S. Kilbourne Road, Columbia, SC 29205.
Yu may also go to www.nfbofsc.org <http://www.nfbofsc.org> .  Click on
donate for the NFB of SC and use pay pal. Please note State convention funds
in your memo.

          National NFB Convention New Orleans, LA July 5-10, 2022

New Orleans Site of 2022 Convention  by John Berggren

          An aerial view of the New Orleans MarriottThe 2022 Convention of
the National Federation of the Blind will take place in New Orleans,
Louisiana, July 5 to July 10, at the New Orleans Marriott at 555 Canal
Street, New Orleans, Louisiana, 70130. You can reserve a room now at the
Marriott by calling 800-654-3990 ensuring you'll be in our headquarters
hotel. If you wish to stay in our overflow hotel directly across Canal
Street, call 855-516-1090 to book a room at the Sheraton New Orleans.

          The nightly rate for both the Marriott and the Sheraton is $109
for singles and doubles. Triples and quads can be booked for $119 per night.
You should also anticipate the combined sales tax and tourism support rate
of 16.2 percent, and note there is a hotel occupancy fee of $3.00 per night.

          Both hotels will take a deposit of the first night's room rate,
taxes, and fees and will require a credit card or a personal check. If you
use a credit card, the deposit will be charged against your card
immediately. If a reservation is cancelled before Monday, June 1, 2022, half
of the deposit will be returned. Refunds will not be issued for
cancellations made beyond that date.

          The hotels sit astride the storied Canal Street at 555 and 500
Canal Street respectively, only blocks from the mighty Mississippi River and
even closer to the historic French Quarter. Both hotels offer a range of
dining options as well as twenty-four-hour fitness centers. You'll find a
rooftop pool at the Marriott while the Sheraton features a Starbucks in its
atrium lobby.

          The schedule for the 2022 convention is:

Tuesday, July 5 Seminar Day

Wednesday, July 6 Registration and Resolutions Day

Thursday, July 7 Board Meeting and Division Day

Friday, July 8 Opening Session

Saturday, July 9 Business Session

Sunday, July 10 Banquet Day and Adjournment

          The health of our members is of paramount importance as we plan
for our first in-person convention in three years. Both of our convention
hotels are committed to ensuring the safety of guests and have implemented
cleaning protocols and elevated practices to deliver on this commitment. The
National Federation of the Blind will continually monitor masking policies,
vaccination requirements, and other health guidelines that may apply to our
convention. Updates will be shared with members throughout the months
leading up to convention, so members can plan accordingly.

          NFB of SC Bags, Shirts, hoodies, and crew neck sweatshirts

          The NFB of SC is selling bags with the NFB of SC logo and Live the
Life you Want on the front. The bag is black, bottom is red and the straps
are white. The top is open. There is a zipper that expands the bag. There is
a zippered pocket on the front where the NFB of SC logo is located. The bags
are great for a gift or for sporting the NFB of SC logo and tag line. The
bags sell for $25 each. You can pay pal the money on our website
www.nfbofsc.org <http://www.nfbofsc.org>  or send cash or check made to NFB
of SC to the Center at 119 S. Kilbourne Road, Columbia, SC 29205.

          We are also selling short sleeve t-shirts. They are gray with the
logo and tag line on the right side if looking at the shirt. On the back,
you will find the state of SC. These shirts are $25. You can purchase two
bags for $40 or two shirts for $40, or, one bag and one shirt for $40. If
you just want one or the other, the price is $25 each. We are hoping to get
in some sweatshirts and hoodies and will let you know the cost of these once
they are secured. All funds will go to the NFB of SC.

          We have added hoodies and crew neck sweatshirts to our NFB of SC
apparel.  Blue crew neck sweatshirt, With yellow logo, and NFB of SC Live
the life you want. Written below.  Blue hoodie sweatshirt, with front
pockets. Has the NFB logo in yellow with NFB of SC, Live the life you want,
written below the logo.  Prices are as follows:  Sweatshirt or hoodie:
Adult small to adult extra large is 35 each or 2 for 60, 2x to 5x is 40 each
or 2 for 70.  T shirt and bags 25 each or 2 for 40 Same price for Bags. You
can mix and match.

`Make money orders or checks payable to NFB of SC and mark what you are
purchasing and size. You may also pay through pay pal at www.nfbofsc.org
<http://www.nfbofsc.org> .  Please note in the comments section exactly what
you wish to purchase. Questions, call President Jennifer Bazer at
803-960-9977. Thank you for your support of the NFB of SC!

          Blind Merchants Fundraiser - From Demetrius Williford

          Hello Federation family The National Federation of the Blind of
South Carolina Blind Merchants Division is having a fundraiser for a 55 inch
or above Smart TV. The tickets are 1 for $5.and 3 for $10. Contact President
Belinda banks at 8649095587 or email her at banksbelinda21 at gmail.com
<mailto:banksbelinda21 at gmail.com>  or Second vice president Demetrius
Williford at 8643288177 or email him at Santez1981 at gmail.com
<mailto:Santez1981 at gmail.com>  or any of the blind merchants members for any
additional information. You may pay through PayPal if you choose to used
this method there is a a transaction fee of 2.2%. Our PayPal information is
Blindmerchantssc at gmail.com <mailto:Blindmerchantssc at gmail.com> . With that
being said in order for us to receive your full payment through PayPal that
2.2% will need to be added to the amount of tickets you purchase. We truly
appreciate you all for participating in our fundraiser. At time of purchase
please put in memo field your name and how many tickets you're purchasing.

          Fusion, JAWS or Zoom Text

          The Computer Science & Technology Division would like to thank
Freedom Scientific for donating an annual license for a division fundraiser!
The winner will receive a copy of an annual license for their choice of
Fusion, Zoom Text or JAWS! Please help support the CSTD by purchasing one or
more tickets. Prices are one for $3 or two tickets for $5. To purchase, go
to the Computer Science & Technology Division's PayPal at the below link. Be
sure to include the following information when purchasing your tickets:
Name, phone number and number of tickets purchased.
https://nfbofsc.org/donations/ The Computer Science & Technology Division
greatly appreciates your support!

         2022 NFB of SC Membership Dues

          The National Federation of the Blind of SC has had our 2022
Membership Form on our website at www.nfbofsc.org <http://www.nfbofsc.org>
since October 1, 2021. When you fill out this form, you will receive a copy
of the information you entered if you provided your personal Email address.
If you are assisting someone with the form that does not have an Email
address, feel free to use cookcafe at sc.rr.com <mailto:cookcafe at sc.rr.com>  in
the Email field. Once you click on the submit button, you are taken to the
Donations page in which you can choose to pay your $10 state dues using the
NFB of South Carolina State Affiliate secure Pay Pal button. Remember you
must fill out the new form and the $10 state dues in order to complete the
process for your 2022 dues!  https://nfbofsc.org/2022-membership-form/ If
you have any questions or need assistance with the above process, please
call Steve Cook at 803 260 1292. If I am unable to take your call, I will
call you back when I am available. Also, if you sign up on the NFB national
site, that is awesome, you will receive your welcome coin and packet, but
please remember, you must also sign up on www.nfbofsc.org
<http://www.nfbofsc.org>  as a member of our Palmetto affiliate. I want to
thank you all for being willing to assist those who are not familiar with
online registration or payment so that their membership can be completed.
Please remember, all dues and membership form must be completed and
submitted by 11:59 PM Eastern on May 31 in order to vote in our state
convention election during the weekend of August 25-28.

          Zoom Events for the upcoming month!

          Below are the events scheduled this  month for the NFB of SC.
Chairs and co-chairs, please make sure your agenda for the committee is on
the list serv before your meeting. Also, starting now, chairs and co-chairs
of committees along with presidents of chapters and divisions will be
responsible for sending out meting reminders to the listserv along with the
agenda. Thank you! Committee chairs and co-chairs, please also send me a
list of committee members for the committee you are chairing or co-chairing.
Please remember, I need a list of all committee members so we can add to the
website.  Just a reminder since 2 new divisions are scheduled below. Someone
will need to send out the daily reminder, agenda and Zoom information for
the meeting.

          Monday, February 28, 2022

Computer Science & Technology Division Meeting 7:00 PM Federation Center
Zoom

SC Association of Guide Dog Users 8:00 PM Federation Center Zoom

March 2022

Tuesday, March 1, 2022

Get Fit with the Sports & Rec Division 5:30 PM Rocky Bottom Zoom

Presidential Release 8:00 PM

Wednesday, March 2, 2022

Cooking with the At Large Chapter 6:30 PM Federation Center Zoom

Legislative & Advocacy Committee 8:00 PM Federation Center Zoom

Thursday, March 3, 2022

Palmetto Connects 6:00 PM Federation Center Zoom

Darlington County Chapter 7:00 PM Federation Center Zoom

Student Division 8:30 PM Federation Center Zoom

Friday, March 4, 2022

Movie Night 8:00 PM Federation Center Zoom

Field of Dreams

Saturday, March 5, 2022

Get Fit with the Sports & Rec Division 9:00 AM Rocky Bottom Zoom

Greenville Chapter 11:00 AM Federation Center Zoom

Monday, March 7, 2022

Fund Raising Committee 7:00 PM Federation Center Zoom

Tuesday, March 8, 2022

Get Fit with the Sports & Rec Division 5:30 PM Rocky Bottom Zoom

At Large Chapter 7:00 PM Federation Center Zoom

Wednesday, March 9, 2022

Sports & Rec Division 6:00 PM Rocky Bottom Zoom

Blind Equality Achievement Month 7:00 PM Federation Center Zoom

Thursday, March 10, 2022

Lancaster Chapter 7:00 PM Rocky Bottom Zoom

Clarendon Chapter 8:00 PM Federation Center Zoom

Saturday, March 12, 2022

Get Fit with the Sports & Rec Division 9:00 AM Rocky Bottom Zoom

Sunday, March 13, 2022

Lee County Chapter 7:00 PM Federation Center Zoom

Monday, March 14, 2022

Braille Literacy Committee 6:30 PM Federation Center Zoom

Convention Planning Committee 8:00 PM Federation Center Zoom

Tuesday, March 15, 2022

Get Fit with the Sports & Rec Division 5:30 PM Rocky Bottom Zoom

Diabetes Action Network 7:00 PM Federation Center Zoom

Wednesday, March 16, 2022

Public Relations & Social Media 8:00 PM Federation Center Zoom

Thursday, March 17, 2022

Palmetto Connects 6:00 PM Federation Center Zoom

Florence Chapter 7:00 PM Federation Center Zoom

Friday, March 18, 2022

Trivia Night 8:00 PM Federation Center Zoom

To register, please Email david Rebocho at  <mailto:drnfbsc at yahoo.com>
drnfbsc at yahoo.com

Saturday, March 19, 2022

Get Fit with the Sports & Rec Division 9:00 AM Rocky Bottom Zoom

Technology Presentation and Q & A 10:00 - 12:00 Federation Center Zoom

Charleston Chapter 1:00 PM Federation Center Zoom

Monday, March 21, 2022

Membership & Outreach 8:00 PM Federation Center Zoom

Tuesday, March 22, 2022

Get Fit with the Sports & Rec Division 5:30 PM Rocky Bottom Zoom

Diversity & Inclusion Committee 8:00 PM Federation Center Zoom

Wednesday, March 23, 2022

Communities of Faith 6:00 PM Federation Center Zoom

Reliving Banquet Speeches 8:00 PM Federation Center Zoom

Saturday, March 26, 2022

Get Fit with the Sports & Rec Division 9:00 AM Rocky Bottom Zoom

Monday, March 28, 2022

SC Association of Guide Dog Users 8:00 PM Federation Center Zoom

Tuesday, March 29, 2022

Get Fit with the Sports & Rec Division 5:30 PM Rocky Bottom Zoom

Thursday, March 31, 2022

Computer Science & Tech Division 8:00 PM Federation Center Zoom

          Federation Center

https://us02web.zoom.us/j/8032543777?pwd=QTVQd2RzN3l6QnNmZ0FmSnp6NG8vQT09

Meeting ID: 803 254 3777 Passcode: 124578

One tap mobile +19292056099,,8032543777# US (New York)

          Rocky Bottom

https://us02web.zoom.us/j/8648789090?pwd=QTVQd2RzN3l6QnNmZ0FmSnp6NG8vQT09

Meeting ID: 864 878 9090 Passcode: 124578

One tap mobile +19292056099,,8648789090# US (New York)

          Joke of the Week -

What do Alexander the Great and Winnie the Pooh have in common?

Same middle name.

          Fascinating Fact of the Week -

The practice of vaccinations was brought to America by a slave.

With the recent devastating spread of Covid and the life-saving vaccines
that have started to turn the tide, some appreciation should be given to the
man who brought this game-changing practice to the United States. In 1721, a
smallpox epidemic struck the city of Boston. This highly contagious virus
was killing hundreds during a time of lesser medical advancements, and it
was an enslaved man by the name of Onesimus that changed everything.

Onesimus was purchased in 1706 for Cotton Mather, a prominent Puritan
minister. Though Mather held a great distrust for Onesimus, he knew that the
man was clever. Amid the spreading sickness, Onesimus confided to Mather
about the practice of inoculations, which had been used in Africa for
centuries. Mather brought this vital information to Dr. Zabdiel Boylston,
who, despite a major pushback against the idea, managed to successfully
inoculate 240 people.

          Final Thought -

"Impossible is just a big word thrown around by small men who find it easier
to live in the world they've been given than to explore the power they have
to change it. Impossible is not a fact. It's an opinion. Impossible is not a
declaration. It's a dare. Impossible is potential. Impossible is temporary.
Impossible is nothing." -Muhammad Ali

          NFB Pledge -

I pledge to participate actively in the effort of the National Federation of
the Blind to achieve equality, opportunity, and security for the blind; to
support the policies and programs of the Federation; and to abide by its
constitution.

          NFB One Minute Message -

"The National Federation of the Blind knows that blindness is not the
blindness is not what holds you back."

 <https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H4awrn7eddQ&t=16s> Click here to view the
National Federation of the Blind of SC 2021 PSA!

          If this message was forwarded to you and you would like to receive
it directly in your inbox, as well as, receive messages regarding the
National Federation of the Blind of South Carolina, please email Steve Cook
at cookcafe at sc.rr.com <mailto:cookcafe at sc.rr.com>