[NFBofSC] Palmetto Blind Summer 2022

Jennifer Bazer jennifer.h.bazer at gmail.com
Sun Jul 10 00:10:18 UTC 2022

The Palmetto Blind

The voice of the National Federation of the Blind of South Carolina

Post and Courier Photo by Jeffrey Collins/AP

Gov. McMaster signs bill to end minimum wage exception for blind and disabled people

SUMMER 2022

TABLE OF CONTENTS

PAGE ARTICLE

          3        President Ponderings by NFB of SC President Jennifer Bazer

          4        2022 Washington Seminar Tackles Legislative Issues by David Houck

          10      How to Kill a Chapter Anonymous

          11      Subminimum Wage Ended in South Carolina by Joint Resolution

          16      At-Large Chapter Cooking Club Meets Again by Melanie Torrance

          20      Reflections by Jennifer Bazer

          28      A Cup of Water by David Houck

          29      Statewide Picnic Was a Sizzling Success by Jennifer Bazer

30                A Directory of South Carolina Services for the Blind – 2022 Edition by David Houck

          31      From the Editor’s Desk by David Houck

          31      Final Thought

          33      Palmetto Blind Subscription Information

NFB PLEDGE:

I pledge to participate actively in the effort of the National Federation of the Blind; to achieve equality, opportunity, and security for the blind; to support the policies and programs of the Federation; and to abide by its constitution.

ONE-MINUTE MESSAGE:

The National Federation of the Blind knows that blindness is not the characteristic that defines you or your future.  Every day, we raise the expectations of blind people because low expectations create obstacles between blind people and our dreams.  You can live the life you want:  blindness is not what holds you back.

President Ponderings

By Jennifer Bazer

The first half of 2022 has flown by and I cannot believe summer is halfway over as well. Soon, the holiday season will be upon us!

When this version of the Palmetto Blind goes to print, about thirty NFB of SC members will be in New Orleans for our national convention, the largest gathering of blind people in the world. Just over a month after we return from New Orleans, we will be getting ready for our sixty-sixth annual state convention at the North Charleston Marriott, August 25-28. We hope all of you will join us! Summer is the busiest time in the SC affiliate with children’s and teen camps happening,  national and state conventions being planned and attended,and  other activities taking place throughout the state.

As we look ahead at our state convention, ten positions are up for election including:

President, currently held by Jennifer Bazer

Vice-President, currently held by Lenora Robertson

Second Vice-President, currently held by Debra Canty

Secretary, currently held by Shannon Cook

Treasurer, currently held by Valerie Warrington

District 2, currently held by Steve Cook

District 4, currently held by JW Smith

District 6, currently held by Marty McKenzie

Member at Large, currently held by Demetrius Williford

Member at Large, currently held by Neel Sheth

As we consider these ten positions, I hope that we can consider who would be the best individuals for each position. Who attends most if not all board meetings and other leadership meetings? Who is qualified for the position and wants the position? Who can do the job of each position? Who believes in the affiliate? Who is willing to help and doesn’t expect recognition. Who comes up with solutions when there are challenges? Who is ready to grow the affiliate, build the Federation and think outside of the box at times? Who is willing to give of their time, their talents and their finances to make a difference?

Being president is not always easy. In fact, most of the time it is challenging. People don’t always like the decisions that need to be made. There are always folks thinking someone else or themselves can do a better job. Often, the president is criticized more than he/she is praised or patted on the back. Often, it is the loneliest position. You don’t know whom you can trust, you don’t know who your friends are. You receive calls and texts at 6:00 in the morning and at 11:00 at night. You receive calls, texts and emails about everything from can we provide money for surgery to housing to I just lost my sight and my family has disowned me. You take boost to a member because they have experienced cancer treatments or have kidney and liver failure; you dig into your own pocket for medicine for a member who lost insurance or cannot make it financially to the end of the month. You attend funerals, visit folks in the hospital and introduce newly blind individuals and their families into the Federation. You respond to numerous email message from our national office within a reasonable amount of time. You participate in trainings by our national office at night or during the weekends. You do what needs to be done, when it is the right thing to do. No matter the time of day or night, no matter the personal financial cost, no matter the sacrifice.

I have been honored to be the president of the SC affiliate for two years. I am seeking reelection in August, and if you believe I have given of my time, my talents and my finances; if you believe I have made some positive changes in the affiliate; if you feel I have gone over and beyond the expectations of a president, I would ask your support, your vote in August.

As I write this on this last day of June 2022, let’s go build the Federation with love, hope and determination; let’s live the lives we want; let’s not let blindness hold us back; and, let’s remember we are a family; we may agree to disagree; we may not share the same faith, views, opinions, but we come together with love

2022 Washington Seminar Tackles Legislative Issues

By David Houck

          Before the onset of COVID in 2020,  traditionally in-person Congressional office visits  were scheduled in advance of the Washington Seminar, which is the annual meeting where approximately 500 Federationists from around the country converge at the nation’s capital to apprise our Congressional leaders from each state respectively of legislative issues affecting the nation’s blind.   Each state’s delegation informs the leaders of current legislation that the NFB is attempting to get passed in Congress, and to ask for their support and sponsorship.  Many white canes could be heard tapping throughout the halls of Congress.  The Great Gathering In meeting was the kick-off to cover pending or proposed legislation, daily reporting on the progress of co-sponsors, and to learn to foster and grow relationships between the blind and Congress.

          With the onset of COVID, the NFB had to pivot and hit from a different angle.  In the past few years including 2022, the same thing happened, only in a virtual environment on ZOOM, including Congressional appointments.  Below are the issues presented to Congress February 7-10, 2022:

1.  ACCESS TECHNOLOGY AFFORDABILITY ACT  (ATAA)

(H.R. 431/S. 212)

Issue — The cost of critically needed access technology is out of reach for most blind Americans.

The high cost of access technology creates a difficult economic reality. Most access technology ranges from $1,000 to $6,000. For example, a leading screen reader is $900, a popular Braille note taker is $5,495, one model of a refreshable Braille display is $2,795, and a moderately priced Braille embosser is $3,695. According to the United States Census Bureau 69.1 percent of blind Americans are either unemployed or underemployed.  Consequently, most blind Americans do not have sufficient financial resources needed to purchase these items. These financial barriers can ultimately lead to a loss of employment, insufficient education, or even isolation from community activities.

Medical insurance will not cover the cost of access technology. Current definitions of "medical care," "medical necessity," and "durable medical equipment" within common insurance policies do not include access technology. These definitions were adopted in the 1960s “when medical care was viewed primarily as curative and palliative, with little or no consideration given to increasing an individual's functional status.” Many states’ Medicaid programs and individual health insurance plans adopted similar definitions and likewise will not cover the cost of access technology.

Access technology enables blind Americans to participate in today’s workforce. Blindness is well defined and measurable, but affects each person differently and at different ages. Since individuals’ needs differ, manufacturers have designed various tools that enable each blind American to perform tasks that they were once unable to accomplish themselves due to their blindness. Braille note takers are frequently used in schools, screen-reading software allows workers to check their email at home, and screen-magnification software can help seniors losing vision learn about community activities. Access technology equips blind Americans to seek employment and stay employed. For the 69.1% of blind Americans who are either unemployed or underemployed, it is a vehicle that facilitates the job seeking process. Despite this critical need, public and private entities struggle to meet consumer demand. This leads to untimely delays in the delivery of necessary technology and ultimately harms the blind consumer.

Solution—Access Technology Affordability Act (H.R. 431/S. 212):

Makes access technology more affordable so that blind Americans can procure these items for themselves. It establishes a refundable tax credit for blind Americans in the amount of $2,000 to be used over a three-year period to offset the cost of access technology. The credit created by the Access Technology Affordability Act will sunset after five years and will be indexed for inflation.

ATAA provides flexibility for individuals to obtain access technology based upon their specific needs. Accessibility requires an individualized assessment of one’s own skills and needs. Therefore, blind Americans should be given the opportunity to procure access technology on their own to ensure that they are receiving the tools that are most useful for them.

ATAA will increase federal income tax revenue. More blind Americans working means more people paying taxes. It also means that those blind Americans who obtain gainful employment through this tax credit will no longer need to draw from federal programs such as Supplemental Security Income or Social Security Disability Insurance and will instead be paying into the Social Security Program.

GOAL—IMPROVE AFFORDABILITY OF CRITICALLY NEEDED ACCESS TECHNOLOGY NECESSARY FOR EMPLOYMENT AND INDEPENDENT LIVING

2. MEDICAL DEVICE NONVISUAL ACCESSIBILITY ACT (MDNVAA) (H.R. 4853)

Issue—Inaccessible digital interfaces prevent blind individuals from independently and safely operating medical devices that are essential to their daily healthcare needs.

Medical devices with a digital interface are becoming more prevalent and less accessible for blind Americans. The rapid proliferation of advanced technology is undeniable. Most new models of medical devices, such as glucose and blood pressure monitors, along with the emergence of in-home devices that offer medical care options, such as chemotherapy treatments and dialysis at home, require consumers to interact with a digital display or other interfaces. This new technology has been, and continues to be, developed and deployed without nonvisual accessibility as an integral part of the design phase, which creates a modern-day barrier. The inaccessibility of these medical devices is not a mere inconvenience; if accessibility for blind consumers is omitted from the medical technology landscape, the health, safety, and independence of blind Americans will be in imminent danger.

Telehealth currently makes up 20% of all medical visits, and more healthcare providers are looking to expand telemedicine services. Unfortunately, these visits assume that a person has easy access to accessible medical devices in order to take their own vitals. As a result of inaccessibility, blind and low-vision Americans are at a distinct disadvantage when it comes to receiving the same virtual healthcare as their sighted counterparts.

Nonvisual access is achievable, as demonstrated by a number of mainstream products. Apple has incorporated VoiceOver (a text-to-speech function) into all of their products, making iPhones, MacBook’s and Mac desktops, and iPads fully accessible to blind people right out of the box. Virtually all ATM’s manufactured in the United States are accessible, and every polling place is required to have a nonvisually accessible voting machine. Frequently, a simple audio output or vibrotactile feature can make a product accessible at little to no additional cost for manufacturers.

Current disability laws are not able to keep up with advancements due to the expeditious evolution of medical technology and its incorporation into medical devices. Although the Americans with Disabilities Act and other laws require physical accessibility for people with disabilities (e.g., wheelchair ramps, Braille in public buildings), no laws protect the blind consumer’s right to access medical devices. The National Council on Disability concluded that accessibility standards lag behind the rapid pace of technology, which can interfere with technology access. This trend of inaccessibility will continue if accessibility solutions are ignored. Only a fraction of medical device manufacturers has incorporated nonvisual access standards into their product design, while others continue to resist these solutions.

Solution—Medical Device Nonvisual Accessibility Act (H.R. 4853):

MDNVAA calls on the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) to promulgate nonvisual accessibility standards for Class II and Class III medical devices. The FDA will consult with stakeholders with disabilities and manufacturers and issue a notice of proposed rulemaking no later than twelve months after the date of enactment of the act. No later than 24 months after the date of enactment of the act, the FDA will publish the final rule including the nonvisual accessibility standards.

MDNVAA requires manufacturers of Class II and Class III medical devices to make their products nonvisually accessible. Manufacturers will have twelve months following the publication of the final rule to ensure that all of the Class II and Class III medical devices they produce are nonvisually accessible.

MDNVAA authorizes the FDA to enforce the nonvisual access standards for Class II and Class III medical devices. Any manufactured device found to be out of compliance, whether by a public complaint to the FDA or by an independent FDA investigation, will be considered an adulterated product under the Federal Food, Drug, and Cosmetic Act.

GOAL—END UNEQUAL ACCESS TO MEDICAL DEVICES FOR BLIND AMERICANS.

3. TWENTY-FIRST CENTURY WEBSITES & APPLICATIONS ACCESSIBILITY ACT (21CWAAA)

Issue—Websites are required by law to be accessible, but without implementing regulations, most businesses and retailers have little understanding of what accessible means.

Websites and mobile applications are an essential part of modern living. More than 313 million Americans use the internet, and 81% of Americans say that they access the internet at least once each day.  The need to access websites and mobile applications does not stop when it reaches Americans with disabilities. According to the American Community Survey, conducted by the United States Census Bureau, approximately forty million Americans currently have a disability.  Based on the numbers above, it is more than reasonable to assume that the vast majority of them are trying to use websites and mobile applications.

The Department of Justice announced its intention to publish accessible website regulations more than a decade ago. On July 26, 2010, the twentieth anniversary of the passage of the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA), the government published an advance notice of proposed rulemaking to address website accessibility.  After that initial announcement, no further action was taken to advance website accessibility substantially. Without regulations in place, blind and disabled Americans are not reliably able to electronically access businesses, apply for jobs, and work at places due to the barriers created by inaccessible websites and mobile applications.

The past few years have seen a significant increase in the prevalence of so-called “click-by” lawsuits. Accessibility is readily achievable, but many businesses that are required by law to make their websites accessible claim to have no clear-cut definition of what “accessible” actually means. Meanwhile, people with disabilities must cope with inaccessible websites. ADA Title III lawsuits, which include website accessibility suits, hit record numbers in 2019, topping 11,000 for the first time.  The number of lawsuits has been increasing steadily since 2013, when the figure was first tracked.  Businesses yearn for a clear definition of accessibility standards and to be able to expand their potential customer pool to consumers they were not reaching before.

Solution—Twenty-First Century Websites & Applications Accessibility Act will:

21CWAAA will direct the US Access Board to promulgate accessibility guidelines. The US Access Board will have six months following the enactment of the legislation to issue a notice of proposed rulemaking regarding website and mobile application accessibility, then an additional six months to issue the final rule.

21CWAAA will promulgate guidelines that strive to harmonize with Section 508 standards. The Section 508 standards promulgated by the US Access Board on January 18, 2017, are established regulations for website and technology accessibility. Therefore, the guidelines promulgated by the Access Board should harmonize with these standards.

21CWAAA authorizes the Department of Justice and the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission to investigate the accessibility of websites and mobile applications. Of its own volition or via a logged complaint pertaining to inaccessibility, the Department of Justice and the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission will have the authority to investigate accessibility concerns and commence civil action if necessary.

GOAL—END WEBSITE AND MOBILE APPLICATION INACCESSIBILITY

FOR BLIND AMERICANS.

4. TRANSFORMATION TO COMPETITIVE INTEGRATED EMPLOYMENT ACT (TCIEA) (H.R. 2373/S. 3238)

The purpose is to promote competitive, integrated employment for people with disabilities.

Section 14(c) of the Fair Labor Standards Act allows employers to discriminate against people with disabilities. Passed in 1938, Section 14(c) authorizes employers to pay workers with disabilities subminimum wages while they perform mundane tasks that do not transfer into skills necessary to transition to other employment options. This law only reinforces stigmatic misconceptions of people with disabilities and creates an artificial barrier to future employment opportunities. The misconception that the elimination of 14(c) will displace workers with disabilities is based on speculation and rhetoric. A growing number of employers have already stopped relying on Section 14(c) and have voluntarily withdrawn their certificates. In 2011, 420,000 people with disabilities were paid subminimum wages under the 14(c) program.  Today, only 39,386 people with disabilities continue to receive subminimum wages.   During that same time (2011-2017), the employment rate for people with disabilities has steadily increased every year from 33.4 percent to 37.3 percent.  Additionally, ten states have passed legislation limiting or barring the payment of subminimum wages for people with disabilities.

Bipartisan consensus supports the phase out of Section 14(c). The Republican and Democratic parties’ 2016 platforms both called for an end to subminimum wages for people with disabilities.  In 2016, a committee tasked by Congress to increase employment opportunities for people with disabilities also recommended the phase-out of Section 14(c).  In addition, in an October 2018 report, the National Council on Disability, an independent federal agency charged with advising Congress, recommended “the phase out of Section 14(c).”  Furthermore, in September 2020, the US Commission on Civil Rights recommended that “Congress should repeal Section 14(c) with a planned phase-out period to allow transition among service providers and people with disabilities to alternative service models prioritizing competitive integrated employment.”

The Transformation to Competitive Integrated Employment Act (H.R. 2373/S. 3238):

*       Discontinues the issuance of new Special Wage Certificates. The Secretary of Labor will no longer issue Special Wage Certificates to new applicants.

*       Creates a grant program for states and individual 14(c) certificate holders to assist with their transition to competitive, integrated employment. This grant program will be available to all states and individual 14(c) certificate holders who transition their business models to support competitive, integrated employment for people with disabilities. States that receive grants must establish an advisory committee that includes employers, organizations specializing in employment for people with disabilities, Medicaid agencies, AbilityOne contractors, people with disabilities, and vocational rehabilitation agencies.

*       Creates a technical assistance center to support all 14(c) holders in their transition to competitive integrated employment. Under the Department of Labor, the technical assistance center will disseminate information about best practices to facilitate transition of entities to competitive, integrated employment.

*       Requires reporting and evaluation of the progress of creating and expanding support for workers with disabilities. States and 14(c) certificate holders will be required to report on their grant activities, evaluate changes in employment for people with disabilities, report average wage information, and evaluate employer actions taken to comply with the phase out of 14(c).

*       Sunsets Section 14(c) of the Fair Labor Standards Act. Five years after enactment of the TCIEA, employers will no longer be permitted to pay workers with disabilities subminimum wages.

*       Removes artificial barriers to employment opportunities.

Legislative and Advocacy Committee Co-Chairs Elizabeth Rouse and Anna Price assisted NFB of SC President Jennifer Bazer when making Congressional appointments via Zoom. These three individuals with others spoke to our SC Congressional leaders to persuade them to join us in support of the four legislative efforts outlined earlier in this article.

          Once the Washington Seminar is over and all contacts have been made, the National Office follows up with each contact.  They document the Sponsors and Co-sponsors to each bill or issue.  Then they report to the membership, encouraging further action to be taken. One example of this was a legislative alert letter that was disseminated on March 7, 2022, asking all members to contact their senators and representatives and ask that they support and urge passage of H431/S212.  At that point, there were 145 sponsors in the House and 36 in the Senate.  A sample script was provided as well as the means to contact your specific Senator and Representative.

          The only Congressman to co-sponsor of our 9-member SC Congressional delegation to date was Rep. Timmons, William R. IV [R-SC-4].  In order to move this bill to pass, all of us must work hard to get more co-sponsors.  South Carolina has its work cut out for it in order to get eight more SC Congressional members to sign on.  There is always much to do to see a bill pass but because of the long-term benefit to blind Americans, it is well worth it!

This is how we can go build the Federation!

How to Kill a Chapter

Contributed by Shannon Cook

This list has been circulated for many years.  No one has been identified as the author.

Let’s see if we recognize any of our own habits in the list below?  Maybe you recognize your own behavior in one or more of these, even if it is only one or two.  We should all strive to practice better habits to make the Federation a more inviting and uplifting place to belong.

*       Don't attend meetings, but if you do, arrive late.

*       Be sure to leave before the meeting is closed.

*       Never have anything to say at the meeting - wait until you get outside.

*       When at the meeting, vote to do everything, then go home and do nothing.

*       The next day, find fault with the officers and other members.

*       Take no part in the organization's affairs.

*       Be sure to sit in the back, so you can talk freely to another member.

*       Get all the organization will give you, but don't give the organization anything.

*       Never ask anyone to join the organization.

*       At every opportunity, threaten to resign and try to get others to also.

*       Talk cooperation, but don't cooperate.

*       If asked to help, say you don't have time.

*       Never read anything pertaining to the organization.

*       Never accept an office - it is easier to criticize than do things.

*       If appointed to a committee, never give any time or service to it.

*       If there are finances to pay, just ignore it.

*       Don't do anymore than you have to, and, when others willingly and unselfishly use their ability to help the good cause along, then complain that the organization is run by a clique.

Anonymous

Subminimum Wage Ended in South Carolina by Joint Resolution

S0533

Session 124 (2021-2022)

S 0533 Joint Resolution, By Shealy, Gambrell, Allen, Williams, Jackson, Gustafson, Stephens, Malloy and McElveen

A JOINT RESOLUTION TO PROHIBIT THE USE OF SECTION 14(c) OF THE FAIR LABOR STANDARDS ACT OF 1938 TO PAY SUBMINIMUM WAGES TO INDIVIDUALS WITH DISABILITIES.

   05/11/22 Senate Roll call ayes-39 Nays-0 (Senate Journal-page 88)

   05/12/22 House Concurred in Senate amendment and enrolled

   05/12/22 House Roll call Yeas-101 Nays-2

  05-23-22     Signed by Gov. Henry McMaster

A JOINT RESOLUTION

TO PROHIBIT THE USE OF SECTION 14(c) OF THE FAIR LABOR STANDARDS ACT OF 1938 TO PAY SUBMINIMUM WAGES TO INDIVIDUALS WITH DISABILITIES.

Amend Title to Conform

Whereas, Section 14(c) of the Fair Labor Standards Act of 1938 authorizes employers, after receiving a certificate from the United States Department of Labor's Wage and Hour Division, to pay special minimum wages that are less than the federal minimum wage to workers who have disabilities, for the work being performed; and

Whereas, Section 14(c)(1) defines a "worker with a disability" as an individual whose earning or productive capacity is impaired by age, physical or mental deficiency, or injury; and

Whereas, in 2020, more than two thousand nine hundred South Carolinians with disabilities were employed in settings in which they could be paid a subminimum wage; and

Whereas, South Carolina continues to have one of the highest unemployment rates for persons with disabilities in the country. Now, therefore,

Be it enacted by the General Assembly of the State of South Carolina:

SECTION    1.    Employers, community rehabilitation programs, and hospital patient care workers at regional centers shall not use Section 14(c) of the Fair Labor Standards Act of 1938 to pay disabled employees a subminimum wage. No individual with a disability may be paid less than the federal minimum wage.

SECTION    2.    Beginning on January 1, 2023, and annually thereafter, the Department of Disabilities and Special Needs shall submit a report to the General Assembly concerning the payment of a subminimum wage in South Carolina. The report shall:

(1)    identify all providers in this State that maintain a Section 14(c) certificate;

(2)    identify which of those providers pay a subminimum wage;

(3)    identify which of those providers used to pay a subminimum wage but have stopped that practice;

(4)    identify which of those providers that stopped paying a subminimum wage did so due to an increase in the federal minimum wage; and

(5)    provide data regarding the success in obtaining minimum wage employment of individuals with severe intellectual disabilities as compared to individuals with mild or moderate intellectual disabilities.

SECTION    3.    (A)    For the purposes of this SECTION:

(1)    "Competitive employment" means employment in a competitive labor market that is performed on a full- or part-time basis in an integrated setting and for which an individual is compensated at or above the minimum wage but not less than the customary wage and level of benefits paid by the employer for comparable work performed by an individual without a disability.

(2)    "Disability" means a physical or mental impairment that substantially limits one or more of an individual's major life activities, or a record of a physical or mental impairment, of being regarded as impaired, or of any condition that would be considered a disability under the Americans with Disabilities Act.

(3)    "Integrated setting" means an employment setting in which individuals with disabilities interact with individuals without disabilities, with the exception of those who are providing services to employees with disabilities, to the same extent that individuals without disabilities in comparable positions interact with other persons.

(4)    "Task force" means the South Carolina Task Force on Eliminating the Subminimum Wage.

(B)    The South Carolina Task Force on Eliminating the Subminimum Wage shall be comprised of the following:

(1)    one member from Disability Rights South Carolina;

(2)    one member from the South Carolina Developmental Disabilities Council;

(3)    one member from Able SC;

(4)    one member from the South Carolina University Center for Excellence in Developmental Disabilities;

(5)    two members who are currently authorized to pay a subminimum wage appointed by the Director of the South Carolina Department of Disabilities and Special Needs;

(6)    two members who are current or former employees with a disability who are or were paid a subminimum wage appointed by the Director of the South Carolina Department of Disabilities and Special Needs;

(7)    the Director of the South Carolina Department of Employment and Workforce, or his designee;

(8)    the Director of the South Carolina Department of Health and Human Services, or his designee;

(9)    the Director of the South Carolina Department of Disabilities and Special Needs, or his designee;

(10)    the Director of the South Carolina Vocational Rehabilitation Department, or his designee; and

(11)    the Director of the South Carolina Commission for the Blind, or his designee.

(C)    The task force shall be responsible for the following duties:

(1)    developing a plan to phase out the use of the subminimum wage by August 1, 2024;

(2)    identifying and developing protections for disabled subminimum wage employees to maintain competitive employment while phasing out the use of the subminimum wage;

(3)    identifying and collaborating with employees, employers, organizations, agencies, and stakeholders impacted by the phase out of the subminimum wage on how to implement the plan and create sustainable, competitive work opportunities for employees with disabilities;

(4)    proposing a plan to establish and evaluate benchmarks for measuring progress for each year of the phase out;

(5)    proposing a plan to monitor and track the outcomes of employees with disabilities;

(6)    identifying initiatives, investment, training, and services designed to improve wages, reduce unemployment rates, and provide support and sustainable work opportunities for persons with disabilities;

(7)    identifying and making recommendations for sustainable support, funding, and resources for eliminating the subminimum wage, including the cost of implementing and providing ongoing employment services, training, and support for employees with disabilities and the cost of paying a minimum wage or more to employees with disabilities in integrated settings;

(8)    ensuring that the plan protects the rights of persons with disabilities and follows Americans with Disabilities Act protections for employees and prospective employees with disabilities; and

(9)    reporting on or before August first of each year the to the Governor and the General Assembly on the benchmarks and results of the outcomes described in the above duties until the subminimum wage has been phased out, at which time the task force is dissolved.

(D)    The task force may utilize the staff of the South Carolina Senate and House of Representatives for clerical or related assistance, as approved and designated by the President of the Senate and the Speaker of the House of Representatives, as appropriate. The task force members may not receive compensation and are not entitled to receive mileage, subsistence, or per diem as provided by law for members of boards and commissions.

SECTION    4.A.    Title 41 of the 1976 Code is amended by adding:

"CHAPTER 5

Employment First Initiative Act

Section 41-5-110.    This chapter must be known and may be cited as the 'Employment First Initiative Act'.

Section 41-5-120.    As used in this chapter:

(1)    'Competitive integrated employment' means work in the competitive labor market that is:

(a)    performed on a full-time or part-time basis in an integrated setting; and

(b)    for which an individual is compensated at or above the minimum wage, but not less than the customary wage and level of benefits paid by the employer for the same or similar work performed by individuals without disabilities.

(2)    'Integrated setting' means, with respect to an employment outcome, a setting typically found in the community in which employed individuals with disabilities interact with individuals without disabilities, other than individuals who are providing services to employees with disabilities, to the same extent that individuals without disabilities in comparable positions interact with other people.

Section 41-5-130.    All state agencies and political subdivisions of this State are encouraged to consider adopting a policy that encourages competitive integrated employment for individuals with disabilities.

Section 41-5-140.    All state agencies are encouraged to:

(1)    coordinate efforts and collaborate within and among themselves to ensure that state programs, policies, procedures, and funding support the competitive and integrated employment of individuals with disabilities;

(2)    share data and information across systems in order to track progress toward full implementation of this chapter, whenever feasible, and in accordance with all applicable state and federal confidentiality laws; and

(3)    adopt rules and promulgate regulations to implement the provisions of this chapter.

Section 41-5-150.    (A)    There is hereby established the 'South Carolina Employment First Oversight Commission' consisting of nine members appointed by the Governor, five of whom must have a disability or have substantial knowledge of disability issues, and four of whom must be from the business community.

(B)    The Governor shall designate one member to convene and organize the first meeting of the commission. During this meeting, the commission shall elect a chairperson and a vice chairperson from among its members.

(C)    All actions of the commission must be taken by a majority of the members of the commission present and voting.

(D)    Members of the commission may not receive compensation, mileage, subsistence, or per diem for their service to the commission.

Section 41-5-160.    Within six months after the first meeting required in Section 41-5-150(B), the commission shall establish evidence-based measurable goals and objectives to encourage implementation of this chapter. The commission shall track the measurable progress of state agencies in implementing this chapter. All state agencies are encouraged to assist the commission in carrying out its duties by fully cooperating with each other and the commission, and by providing data and information in accordance with all applicable state and federal confidentiality laws.

Section 41-5-170.    The commission annually shall, before January first, issue a report to the Governor and members of the General Assembly which details progress toward the goals and objectives of the commission and progress toward the full implementation of this chapter. The report also shall identify barriers to achieving the outcomes and effective strategies and policies that can help realize the employment first initiative. All state agencies are encouraged to cooperate with the commission on the creation and dissemination of the annual report.

Section 41-5-180.    The commission may seek the guidance and expertise of all stakeholders, including individuals with disabilities, organizations that advocate on behalf of individuals with disabilities, providers of services to individuals with disabilities, local government, and business associations."

B.        This SECTION takes effect upon approval by the Governor.

SECTION    5.    This joint resolution takes effect upon approval by the Governor.

Time effective

SECTION    5.    This joint resolution takes effect upon approval by the Governor.

Ratified the 18th day of May, 2022.

----XX----

          Our thanks to Able SC for promoting the passage of this Joint Resolution.  A similar format may be used in other states as well. Accomplishing in South Carolina what the Congress has not repealed!

At Large Chapter Cooking Club Meets Again!

By Melanie Torrance

                   On Saturday, June 11th, members and guests of the At-Large Chapter ate dinner together at the Federation Center. The meal was prepared by taking turns in the kitchen, learning cooking techniques and safety practices. The camaraderie and laughter which developed however, was the best part of the afternoon.

          The At-Large Chapter has been meeting since January 2021 for a “Cooking Club”, where recipes and preparation techniques are heard. The plan to meet together and cook “live” was the brain storm of that group.

          Once the Federation Center was contacted and a date reserved, the real fun began. Members were contacted to determine who would like to attend. A head count was needed, before a menu could be planned. 9 members expressed a desire to participate.

The following menu was then put together: Salad with a balsamic vinaigrette (a salad dressing made by hand), Baked spaghetti pie (a Lasagna like layered dish), Garlic bread, and a 3-2-1 cake for dessert.  Each member who attended brought 2-4 ingredients, as well as a coffee mug for the dessert.

HIGHLIGHTS OF THE DAY:

          David Bundy declared himself “good with a blade”, so he washed and sliced 1 pound of strawberries, chopped one yellow onion and one red onion.  Pathronda Anderson and Ed Bible ALMOST learned how to use a garlic press.

          Pathronda and Ed browned the ground beef. Something that neither one had ever done:  In Ed Bible’s words, “This is my view of what happened. I was listening to Ike on how to use a garlic press. I had never even seen one before. Pathronda went first and I heard Ike telling her to press harder. When it was my turn Ike handed me the press and showed me where to put the garlic. I did not realize it was upside down. I squeezed the handle for all it was worth thinking it must be hard because I heard Pathronda’s instructions. WOW, my whole face and glasses were soaked with a huge spray of garlic! At first I could not figure out what happened and then it struck me as funny and I cracked up laughing. The whole kitchen staff at the time was all laughing very hard. I had a blast.”

          Melanie doubled the recipe for both the salad and spaghetti, since we had a few additional guests. There was not a bite left of the salad or spaghetti!  We were too full for dessert, so the 3-2-1 cake was not made.  A Good time was had by all!

          The recipes for both the salad and spaghetti are included below. Many thanks to Ike Nelson for his kind and patient approach with all of us.

Strawberry and Arugula Salad

By Melanie Torrance

INGREDIENTS

Strawberry salad

    5 ounces arugula or spring mix

    ½ cup chopped fresh basil

    1 pound strawberries, thinly sliced

    ¾ cup finely chopped red onion (about ½ small onion)

    4 ounces crumbled goat cheese or feta, or 1 ripe avocado, diced

    ½ cup roasted and salted sunflower seeds

    ½ cup halved and thinly sliced radish (about 3 medium)

Balsamic vinaigrette

    ¼ cup extra-virgin olive oil

    1 ½ tablespoons balsamic vinegar

    1 tablespoon Dijon mustard

    ½ tablespoon maple syrup or honey

    1 clove garlic, pressed or minced

    Pinch of fine sea salt, to taste

    Freshly ground black pepper, to taste

INSTRUCTIONS

    To assemble the salad: On a large serving platter or in a large serving bowl, layer the ingredients as listed.

    To prepare the vinaigrette: In a liquid measuring cup or small bowl, combine all of the ingredients and whisk until fully blended. Taste, and add more salt or pepper if needed. The dressing should be nice and tangy, but you can add more maple syrup for balance if desired.

    When you’re ready to serve the salad, drizzle vinaigrette on top, and toss to combine. Serve promptly. (If you’re planning to have leftovers, store the salad and dressing separately and toss before serving.) Stored separately, leftovers will keep well for 3 to 4 days.

Baked Spaghetti

By Melanie Torrance

Serves 8-12

Bake in a 9 x 13 pan

Ingredients

    1 pound ground beef

    1 small to medium onion – chopped

    1 24 oz. jar Marinara sauce

    1 cup cottage cheese

    1 cup Parmesan cheese – grated

    1 egg

    1 pound spaghetti noodles

    1 8 oz. cream cheese

    2 cups Mozzarella cheese – grated

    Italian seasoning

    2 garlic cloves

Instructions

    Heat oven to 350 degrees.

    In a medium size skillet, cook ground beef, onion and pressed garlic until done. Drain off fat. Pour Marinara sauce over meat and mix well. Add seasonings and cook 10 minutes.

    In a large pot, cook spaghetti according to package directions. When done, drain. Add cream cheese and mix well, coating all spaghetti. Add 2 beaten eggs to coat all

    Put a cup of sauce in bottom of casserole and coat the pan

    Put in half the pasta. Layer with sauce, cottage cheese, Parmesan and Mozzarella

    Repeat layers ending with sauce and parm on top

    Cover with foil and bake 35-40 minutes. Uncover and bake for 10

    Take out of oven and let stand for 10-15 minutes.

Reflections

The following is a compilation and scaled down excerpts from several of the Positive Notes that have gone out this year.  I hope this will bring the encouragement and motivational portions together to make a cohesive narrative.

CLEAN SLATE

The beginning of this year has brought a few challenges. COVID has put a lot of strain, stress, isolation, depression, frustration, and loneliness in our path over the last two years. It probably has even caused us to react in ways we would not normally.

When I became state president and addressed the state convention in 2020, I promised everyone I would lead with authenticity, transparency and integrity. I have said numerous times through different means to please call or email me with questions, ideas, and concerns. I am eager to hear what you have to say. If I say that you are welcome to call or email me, I mean it.

Change can be hard, uncomfortable, and necessary.  Change can be positive, and it can help us grow. None of us is perfect, including me. I make mistakes. Sometimes, I am too vague. I can also be too direct at times.  Because of these things, I can be misunderstood.  What I am is, a person with the best of intentions, who always strives to do the right thing, who is willing to try new things, who wants to hear ideas even if they are different from my own, who has big ideas for the Palmetto affiliate, and who believes that each of us has something to give to this awesome organization. Most of all, I care deeply about each one of us in the NFB of SC. I want to help all blind people in South Carolina have equality and independence, and I will always strive to lead with love, respect, hope, and determination.

We will only make strides if we work together to persevere. If we row the boat in the same direction. If we remember, “we” instead of “me and I.” If we respect each other. If we share our thoughts, our feelings, our ideas, and our challenges. If we believe in others, our affiliate, and ourselves. If we change our negative attitude into a positive one. If we don’t hold grudges. If we show compassion and kindness. If we live up to all that we can be!

Each day is a clean slate. Will you join me in wiping our slates clean and starting fresh? Will you join me in leading with love, hope and determination and promise to participate actively in the NFB of SC? Will you come to me when you have ideas, when you need clarification, when you don’t understand the “why”, when you need me for something that may not have to do with the NFB of SC? Will you take what I, or others may say at face value, and not put more meaning behind their words that what is there?  I am here for every one of our members, and I hope all of you are here for me! We are all Federationists for a reason.  The bonds that keep us in the NFB of SC are strong.

Let’s say yes and go build the Federation!

LOVE

The values of our NFB brand represent the essence of us, the National Federation of the Blind, the code that carries the brand—the guiding principles upon which we make our decisions. They are the heart and soul of the organization. Our core values are

*       courage

*       respect

*       full participation

*       democracy

*       collective action

*       love

We define love in our core values this way. The NFB provides a loving, supportive, and encouraging family that shares in the challenges and triumphs of our blind brothers and sisters. This deeply held faith in one another sustains members during times of challenge, and cheers on individual and collective successes. Love is the feeling that permeates our organization and pushes us to expect the best from each other.

Let’s exemplify love in everything we do in the Federation and beyond. Some may feel it is hard to love someone who disagrees with our viewpoint.  Some may find it hard to love those who turn their backs on us.  Some may find it challenging to love those who lash out with their words in anger or hurt.  Some find it impossible to love those who spread rumors or say unkind things about us.  Some people may find it uninviting to love those who talk behind our backs without saying what they mean directly to us.  Some people may wish to carry a burden of unforgiveness on their shoulders, rather than carrying love in their hearts.  Well, it is not impossible to forgive those who may have hurt us.  Love can help us forgive, bring peace, foster understanding, and strengthen our connections with each other.

Let’s remember the reason we are family.  We have come together because we all want a brighter future, legal and social equality, public awareness, and respect as blind people.  We have more in common than we will ever have different. When in doubt, pull out your NFB coin and read the braille; it spells “together.” That is who we are: a group of like-minded, capable, passionate, enthusiastic, and driven blind people. When we clash with each other, it is because we care so much about the outcome. We just differ sometimes about the best path to get us there.    We should do our best to remember that we are all doing what we think is right.

Let’s go build the National Federation of the Blind with love!

A TYPICAL STATE PRESIDENT’S DAY

Alexa, turn off my 5:50 A.M. alarm. Feet hit the floor; across the house to wake up Kaylin; her bus will arrive at 6:37 A.M. My phone chimes, a text from a member to let me know someone has passed away in the family. “Kaylin, make sure you have everything. I love you. Have a great day.”

I respond to the text from the member. “Sorry about your loss. Prayers and thoughts are with you. Would you like me to circulate the loss of your family member on the list serv and the Positive Note?” It is 6:55 A.M. Time to wake up Cade; his bus will arrive at 7:17. A call comes in from another member. I am not able to take the call at the moment, but I will call them back after Cade is on the bus. “Cade, make sure you have everything. I love you. Have a great day.”

Now, back to that phone call I missed from the member. They had questions about how to join Federation zoom for the Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion meeting.

Today is Monday so that means the Positive Note will be out by 8:00 A.M. Did I include everything? Did I take out items that are no longer relevant? Did I check for spelling and grammatical errors? I have pressed the send button and it is off for all to read.

It has been 2.5 hours since I have opened my eyes, put my feet on the floor and began my day. Now, it is time to shower, dress, and contact students, parents, and teachers of blind students, regarding pre-employment transition services including self-advocacy, work-readiness, college exploration, internships, mentoring and more. I stop around noon to grab a bite to eat, check my texts and phone calls along with email messages. I begin to work on the Positive Note for the next week so I don’t have to do it all in a weekend. I return a call from a chapter president regarding their financial report that will be submitted to the state office. I text a member thanking them for their SUN, share unlimited NFB donation. I email president Riccobono to let him know I will be attending the upcoming Saturday affiliate presidents’ leadership seminar from 1:00 until 6:00 and 1:00 until 4:00 on Sunday via zoom. That will be eight hours of weekend time devoted to the Federation, not counting the calls and other items that arise.

I resume my work from this morning organizing appointments to see students and parents. I take a hand-held video magnifier to a student at Anderson University because she cannot see the board. I arrive home after 6:00 PM from Anderson and jump in my car where my personal driver is waiting to take all of us to scouts. Cade is in boy scouts and Kaylin in brownies. I present to my daughter’s Girl Scout troop on blindness where I have the Braille alphabet cards and their names written in Braille.

We are now home. It is after 8:00 PM. It is time to do homework, bathe, and get ready for bed. The children finally climb in bed after 9:30. They might read a book. We say our prayers and they drift off to sleep. The house is quiet but my day is not over. Time to check email, missed calls and texts. I respond to email from teachers and parents as well as affiliate business. It is too late to return calls and texts. I will do that tomorrow. It is after 11:00. I finally crawl in bed. Grateful I had the opportunity to spend time with my children in the mornings and attend their activities in the evenings. I am blessed to talk, text and email with our affiliate members, our leaders during the day. I am physically exhausted, but my brain will not shut down. I finally drift off to sleep a little after midnight. Tomorrow is another day that I “get to” do all the wonderful things in my life. I don’t “have to”, it is a choice. I “get to” and I am so thankful

TEAMWORK

On Saturday, I cheered on my son Cade whose team was in a baseball tournament. Cade pitched the entire second game on Saturday, with the team winning 3 to 2. Although the team did not win the championship, they played the best they’ve ever played as a team in a tournament since forming the team two years ago.  Some people say, “It’s not about winning that is most important, it is about how you played the game.” Saturday, they played in muddy conditions created by the rain from Friday. A ball that would normally bounce and land in a glove would hit the mud and just roll. We lost our last game by one run against a team whose players are bigger and faster than our boys are. Our Black Sox team hung in, made defensive plays in the field, struck out numerous batters and most importantly, had an awesome attitude. They never threw their equipment in frustration; they never said how this call or that call was a bad one. They constantly built each other up with phrases like, “You’ve got this. You can do it. Let’s get a hit.” Sometimes it is easy to talk about what could have happened, might have happened. It seems easier for some to point out the negative, the mistakes, what might have been. It is also easier sometimes to be a sideline critic than a supporter of the coaches, team, and the calls. It is easy to place blame on coaches, players, and the other team. It is hard to remember that coaches are volunteers. They don’t have to be there, but they have a love of mentoring young players and a love of the game, so they serve.  Players, in this case are only 12 and still learning how to work, play, communicate, and succeed as a team.

As I cheered my son on at several of his baseball games over the weekend, I realized that being an affiliate president, or a leader with other responsibilities, is like that of an umpire. When we as fans sit behind a ten-foot fence, at an angle 40 feet away, our view of the ball is different from that of the umpire who is in the midst of the play. Many times as fans, we may not like the call of the umpire, we think it should have been a different one, but we forget that we may not have seen it like the umpire saw it. Just like an umpire, that of a leader, of an affiliate president is similar. Many times, the president has to make decisions based on knowledge, experience, information, and background others may not get from their perspectives. Sometimes, the leader may make decisions that others don’t understand. It is often easy to say, “why did he/she make that decision; I could be president, it can’t be that hard; or, I couldn’t believe he/she didn’t do this or didn’t do that. Just like the umpire, the president makes the best calls in any given situation, pulling together their wealth of knowledge and their experience. Some may not agree with those decisions but the game must go on. My feeling is, as long as the calls or decisions are consistent, are without malice or will not hurt others, we can support that choice by the umpire or in this case, by the president.  A baseball team will not win if the players turn on one another and team members break the trust they have worked so hard to build.    A team works when there is a common goal and cooperation.  Each person has an important job to do.  No one job is more important than others are.  There are differences in the responsibilities of jobs, of course.  Therefore, the jobs aren’t interchangeable.  If a pitcher decides to be the short stop, that leaves a job undone. If a team gets bogged down in questioning    why the pitcher threw a fastball instead of a slow pitch, they take energy away from being able to achieve their ultimate goal: to win the game.   In the NFB of SC, we need to find a way to trust one another to do the job we are tasked with, and to trust that others are doing their best too.  We should be a support for one another.  When there are times that we see someone needs help, we should extend words of comfort and friendship, not criticize the deficiencies.  If we don’t strive to do better and be better, we will still be fighting on the infield. I know as a member of this awesome organization, that we are more than the sum of our parts.  We are capable of being the true Federation family.  With love, hope, and determination, we can build the National Federation of the Blind.

COMMITMENT

My 12-year-old son, Cade was confirmed into the United Methodist church Sunday. As I listened to the oath the Confirmands took in front of the church, I thought about our commitment to the Federation in becoming a member. We pledge to participate actively in the efforts of the Federation, to support the policies and procedures, and to abide by its constitution when we pay our dues and our voted into the Federation family. When I pay my dues each year, I am reminded of my pledge to the Federation and my commitment to the organization. The process of dues and completing the membership forms each year is like renewing your confirmation into the NFB of SC. It is obviously not exactly the same as a commitment to your chosen faith, but it is similar in that the NFB also is a philosophy that guides our lives as blind people.

PERSEVERANCE

My son, Cade, was recently chosen for the Pineview Ozone All-Star Baseball team! For six years, literally half of his young life, cade has persevered, determined to make the team. Often, he wondered why he was not chosen. He learned early on that sometimes, things happen for other reasons than the fact you do a good job.  His fellow players like sons of coaches or those who knew someone who knew someone, were chosen for the team.  The Good Old Boy System was well in effect. However, in the end, Cade still made the All-Star Team!   I kept reminding Cade that life isn’t always fair. I stressed to him that when he made it, he would know it was for his good attitude, his talent, his determination, and his strong work ethic.  Finally, his name was announced during closing ceremonies. Perseverance paid off after six years!

As I listened to the closing ceremonies for baseball, I thought about how often I don’t resemble an all-star. Sometimes, I have a poor attitude; sometimes, I don’t give 100%. Some days, I am not a team player. Sometimes, I don’t feel I have acted with enough integrity. I also thought about how, if I started each day by thinking like an all-star, acting like an all-star, speaking like an all-star, and living like an all-star, how much that would change my personal and professional life.

I then considered what if I made personal strides to reflect the attitude and character of an all-star, and if all of us took this journey together by committing to be all-star members, how far would the National Federation of the Blind of South Carolina be able to soar? What heights could we reach? We would be unstoppable!

Let’s be All-Stars and help hold each other up, support one another, heal our hurts, and go forward with the strength of an affiliate whose spirit is unbreakable

A FINAL WORD

Though there have ben doubts, obstacles, and challenges, we rise to meet them head on.  Though there may be stumbles, we get up, brush ourselves off, and try again.  We are not perfect, but we do our best in that moment in time.  We may not agree, but we can show compassion for others and realize their view may come from a much different perspective. We need to respect the differences and agree to persevere together regardless of our differences.     In the sections above, we reviewed love, perseverance, commitment, among other points.  Let’s ensure that our differences make us stronger, instead of being the place where the cracks begin to show. I believe we have many talented members who can contribute greatly to our mission. I recently put this message in the Positive Note.

Helen Keller said, “Until the great mass of the people shall be filled with the sense of responsibility for each other's welfare, social justice can never be attained.”

It is with love, hope, determination, courage, and respect that we can build a house that no one person can destroy

A Cup of Water

By David Houck

(The views expressed in this article are those of the Editor and may not necessarily reflect those of the NFB of SC as an organization. The inclusion of this article is in no way intended to marginalize our members who may practice other faiths.)

Matthew 25

          “34 Then shall the King say unto them on his right hand, Come, ye blessed of my Father, inherit the kingdom prepared for you from the foundation of the world:

          35 For I was an hungred, and ye gave me meat: I was thirsty, and ye gave me drink: I was a stranger, and ye took me in:

          36 Naked, and ye clothed me: I was sick, and ye visited me: I was in prison, and ye came unto me.

          37 Then shall the righteous answer him, saying, Lord, when saw we thee an hungred, and fed thee? or thirsty, and gave thee drink?

          38 When saw we thee a stranger, and took thee in? or naked, and clothed thee?

          39 Or when saw we thee sick, or in prison, and came unto thee?

          40 And the King shall answer and say unto them, Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye have done it unto one of the least of these my brethren, ye have done it unto me.”

          These are powerful verses from the Scripture.  How does this apply to me?  How can a cup of water, a meal, clothing, a visit of compassion, etc. be such a great reward?

          Many of us who are blind know that blindness is not an end of things but a beginning to overcome obstacles that blindness presents.  Is the meal we serve at a local chapter meeting so important?  Is a birthday or get well card or a phone call all that life changing?  What reward is there in sharing what we have learned as blind people with others who are blind, or even to the sighted public?  These seem to be small things in comparison with being a chapter or state affiliate officer or board member.

          The invitation to a meeting, the meal served, a bottle of water, etc. are all integral parts of compassion; showing that we care.  It goes hand in hand with the meeting agenda, the projects to be funded, and the philosophy of blindness being taught.  It can make the difference between the despair of feeling alone and the encouragement of belonging to a group of blind people who really want to help.

          Some of the best Federation leaders we have serve in this manner.  They cook, serve, and clean up after meals.  Volunteer drivers bringing members to and from meetings, seminars, conventions and other activities.  They work on the We Care Committee, offering assistance to those who lost a loved one, are not feeling well or who have suffered a great personal loss.  These leaders do it because they love to cheer up those who are hungry, sick, or have suffered and need encouragement.  By doing these things, the purpose of each meeting means more, outings are more enjoyable, and a can-do attitude is sparked in the hearts of others.

          Jesus Christ states in the above passage that if you do these unselfish acts of kindness because of the sacrifice of God’s Son for us, you have also accomplished these things for Christ as well.  I would like to take this opportunity to thank all those across the Palmetto State who honor God by their unselfish sacrifice of time, energy and resources for our fellow blind.  Jude 1:22  “Of some have compassion, making a difference.”

Statewide Picnic was a Sizzling Success

By Jennifer Bazer

The NFB of SC along with the Sports and Rec Division teamed up to host a free statewide picnic for all to attend. June 25 was a hot beautiful day in the capitol city, a great day for a water slide and a dunk tank. The 35-foot water slide provided hours of fun for children and adults, a great way to cool off and expend some energy.

Several individuals volunteered to enjoy the dunk tank. One had to climb the narrow metal bars to the top, maneuver their body on top of the platform and wait until a ball hit the target to surprisingly release you into a four-foot tank of water. Personally, I did it once for the experience! Sitting high in the air waiting to be dunked was quite exhilerating.

Fifty individuals enjoyed grilled hamburgers and hot dogs and all the sides including, but not limited to, potato salad, coleslaw, baked beans, chili, three bean salad, watermelon, banana pudding, brownies and cookies. Laughter came from the Federation Center as people sat around chatting in the cool air conditioned building while screams of joy came from the parking lot with the water slide and dunk tank. Ages ranged from two years to eighty-five years old. There was something for all

Here is what some participants had to say.

Shelley Coppel

“The picnic was so fun!  I connected with folks I don’t usually get to spend time with.  When we sit and visit on a relaxed  level, we find out what a diverse, knowledgeable, and fun group of friends   we have.  To see the joy on the face of a senior member who has not been able to join in on many activities lately was also very thrilling.  Thank you to Jennifer Duffell-Hoffman for bringing Ms. Daisy (Drakeford) to the picnic!!”

Dorothy Barksdale

“The statewide picnic was filled with so much fun, food and fellowship. It brought members out who had not seen each other in a long time. We need to do this more often whether it is at the Federation Center or going out to eat so that we come together as one.”

David Rebocho

“The main best part was how all of us could all get together and put any feelings aside and just have sown good old cookout fun. There was so much love, energy and fun the entire time from 10am till 4pm; people kept coming and staying the entire time.”

A Directory of South Carolina Services for the Blind - 2022 Edition

By David Houck

          At last! Federation Center staff have completed the draft of a first edition of a resource directory detailing a variety of services available to blind South Carolinians.  This directory was compiled by Abigail Rackley, former Federation Center intern and MSW candidate from the University of South Carolina and Dominic Calabrese, former Public Relations Consultant at the Federation Center of the Blind.  This endeavor took a year to complete.  At the beginning, there is a definition of legal blindness, as well as three pages of the Table of Contents.  The directory includes a survey of the National Federation of the Blind, the NFB of SC, Successful Transitions, and the Federation Center of the Blind.  Ways to contact NFB of SC local chapters and statewide divisions is also covered.

          This directory discusses state agencies serving the blind, private organizations serving the blind and provides information concerning other state and local entities, which include the blind in their purpose of service.  This nearly 180-page document covers rehabilitation, literacy, training, advocacy, transportation and housing to name a few more of the topics.  The directory is broken down into counties and cities whenever possible.

          The idea came from the Palmetto Connects calls that were originally weekly at the beginning of the pandemic.  Many of the members needed to access a variety of services wherever they live.  Having this information readily available helps to address and overcome the obstacles of blindness.  Once the final edits for the directory are complete, you can request a free copy. Please let the Federation Center of the Blind know if you need a print or digital copy by contacting us at 803-254-3777 or nfbsc at sc.rr.com <mailto:nfbsc at sc.rr.com> .

>From the Editor’s Desk

By David Houck

          The first half of 2022 has included a variety of accomplishments as S.533 was signed by Governor McMaster, ending the legal payment of subminimum wages to the blind and disabled despite the federal government’s Fair Labor Standards Act that prohibited such discriminatory treatment for disabled employees.  Now once enacted, this will no longer happen in South Carolina!

          After a year of accumulating data from across the state, the Federation Center of the Blind has developed our First Edition of the South Carolina Directory of Blindness Services.  This directory is designed to assist the blind in researching frequently asked questions concerning private and government services no matter where we live!  As time passes, services offered will inevitably change.  You can bet there will be future updated editions as well.

          Another accomplishment this year was the construction of a wheelchair ramp at the parking lot entrance of the Federation Center of the Blind.  When you consider the cost of constructing the ramp with a roof, a new entrance door (which opens to the ramp), and ramp lighting, the total cost is approximately $20,000.  This amount was raised by donations from the public and businesses.  With a greater number of blind seniors using walkers, wheelchairs, etc., we now can better accommodate everyone in accessing our facilities.

          Another accomplishment has been the Talking Medical Device Program, which was funded by AFLAC.  As blind individuals filled out the application and sent in with a doctor’s statement of need for such devices, the Federation Center was eager to fulfill these needs with talking medical devices such as glucometers, oximeters, blood pressure monitors, oral thermometers, body weight scales, and pedometers.  Since the program ends on July 1, we hope that we can find additional funding to help continue this worthwhile program.

Photo:  New wheelchair ramp at parking lot entrance to Federation Center of the Blind

FINAL THOUGHT

It is not “live the life you’ve got,” but “live the life you want!”

          “Innovate, adapt and overcome.  The armed forces recognize this is the way to defeat an obstacle or barrier to success.

*       INNOVATE – Do not let someone tell you it cannot be done.  Remember, the reason it has not been done is because no one has figured out the right way to accomplish it.  The invention of the light bulb is a great example of not quitting until you have succeeded.  That is why when someone has a great idea, they are pictured with a light bulb going off above their head.

*       ADAPT – Think outside the box.  Why is this an obstacle to my success and what am I going to do to overcome it.  Those who grew up as military kids (or commonly referred to as “military brats”) adapt quickly to new situations, taking it all in stride.  New location, new friends, new school, etc.  The more you expose yourself to new things, the greater your confidence level – and level of success!

*       OVERCOME – Never give up.  Face your fears.  Do not be afraid to fail.  Even failure teaches us what not to do and to search for a better way.  To stop short of your goal results in your sure-fire failure.  To go on until you overcome the obstacles of life means you can live the life you want.

Palmetto blind Subscription Information

          The National Federation of the Blind of South Carolina publishes the PALMETTO BLIND twice a year in large print, email, Braille, and other formats.

David Houck, Editor.

The National Federation of the Blind of South Carolina is chartered under the laws of the state of South Carolina to promote the spiritual, social and economic well-being of all blind South Carolinians.  The state organization is an affiliate of the nation's oldest and largest organization of the blind - the National Federation of the Blind.

          The PALMETTO BLIND is the voice of the National Federation of the Blind of South Carolina and is available free of charge to any blind individual or member in large print, Braille, online, or by email format.  Subscribers are encouraged to cover the annual subscription cost of $10 per year. Donations can be made payable to the National Federation of the Blind of South Carolina and sent to:  Valerie Warrington, Treasurer

National Federation of the Blind of SC

119 S. Kilbourne Rd.

Columbia, SC 29205

An electronic pdf version of this publication can be emailed upon request.  Braille or large print copies may be retained for personal libraries.  A special thank you goes to Shannon Cook who proofreads the Palmetto Blind.