[NFBofSC] Voting Survey

Steve Cook cookcafe at sc.rr.com
Sat Nov 5 14:55:32 UTC 2022

Voting Resources

Once you have exercised your fundamental right to vote, please complete our
2022 Blind and Low-Vision Voter Experience Survey! We encourage blind
people, regardless of their political views, to participate in the American
democracy.

The National Federation of the Blind is working to ensure that all blind
voters have the ability to vote privately and independently.

If your circumstances do not allow you to vote privately and independently
this year, we still urge you to vote and then complete the 2022 Blind Voter
Survey (details available soon on our homepage). You have the right to have
a person of your choice assist you in voting, either by mail or at the
polls, if you cannot fill out your ballot privately and independently.

2022 Voting Stories

We are collecting stories about the personal experiences of blind voters for
potential sharing with media, policymakers, and the public. These stories
will help personalize and illustrate the need for improvements in the
accessibility of federal, state, and local elections. Send your story to
myvote at nfb.org. You can also call 410-659-9314, extension 8683 (which spells
out VOTE on your telephone keypad), and leave us a voicemail. Include your
name, where you live, and how we can contact you if we need to follow up.

2022 Blind and Low-Vision Voter Experience Survey

Title II of the Americans with Disabilities Act requires that voters with
disabilities must be afforded an opportunity to vote privately and
independently that is equivalent to the opportunity afforded to voters
without disabilities. This requirement applies to both in-person voting and
voting by mail for the upcoming general election on November 8, 2022.

Once you have exercised your fundamental right to vote, please complete our
2022 Blind and Low-Vision Voter Experience Survey! The 2022 survey consists
of two separate surveys. If you voted in-person at an early voting center or
your local polling place for the 2022 United States general election, please
complete the in-person survey.

If you are a blind or a low-vision voter who voted absentee or by mail for
the 2022 United States general election, please complete the by mail survey.

Ballot Marking Device Videos

The National Federation of the Blind has conducted a survey of blind and
low-vision voters following every presidential election since 2008, as well
as the 2014 and 2018 midterm elections. These surveys indicate that as many
as one-third of all poll workers do not know how to operate the accessible
ballot marking device (BMD), and that some blind and low-vision voters are
not familiar with BMD accessibility features. The result of this lack of
knowledge is that too many blind and low-vision voters end up voting with
assistance rather than privately and independently using the BMD. To help
address this knowledge gap, the National Federation of the Blind has
produced videos that demonstrate the accessibility features and how to mark
a ballot with four of the most commonly used BMDs. These videos are videos
are now available for poll worker training and voter education.

The Clear Ballot Clear Access

Below is a direct link to the above information and also included on this
page are link to fill out the survey.

https://nfb.org/resources/voting-resources