[NFBofSC] Positive Note 1891

Marty McKenzie marty2music at outlook.com
Mon Nov 7 12:00:37 UTC 2022

November 7, 2022
Memo To:  Executive Officers, Board Members, Chapter & Division Presidents & Others
From:  Marty R. McKenzie, President
Positive Note 1891
843-939-8091  marty2music at outlook.com

Dear Federation Family,

The National Federation of the Blind was founded on November 16, 1940, and Dr. Jacobus Timbrook began his term as the organization's first president.  The history of the NFB is rich and diverse as the organized blind movement has adapted to societal changes over time. We have never lost sight of our original goal, however, to improve the living and working conditions for the nation's blind.  Blindness is merely a nuissance.  It is not what defines us. We can live the lives we want, blindness is not what holds us back. Every federationist must own the one-minute message and our tag line. It eloquently describes who we are and our guiding philosophy as we march forward.

In the Presidential Release, President Riccobono reminded everyone that Vispero is offering a matching gift up to $50,000 For donations made by December 31, 2022. This is a chance for the NFB to increase funding for its many programs. You may make a donation at www.nfb.org/donate<http://www.nfb.org/donate>, or by calling the National Center at 410-659-9314 , extension 2430. Checks may also be mailed to National Federation of the Blind, 200 East Wells Street at Jernigan Place, Baltimore, MD 21230. A donation of any amount is appreciated!

November 8th, 2022is a very important day for all Americans. On this day, we exercise our right to vote.   All Federationists are encouraged to vote. You can do so by arriving in-person at your established polling place.  During the Presidential Release, President Riccobono announced that, On Election Day, Lift is offering transportation up to $30 to assist a limited number of voters with getting to their polling place. Enter NFBVote2022 into your app to see if this is available in your area.  Accessible voting machines are available for your convenience. After voting, please complete the NFB voter survey at www.nfb.org/vote<http://www.nfb.org/vote>. You may also call 410-659-9314 to get assistance completing the survey if you do not have access to an electronic device.

The Braille Readers are Leaders contest will begin December 5, 2022 and conclude on January 23, 2023. There are competitions for k-12 as well as adults. The adult competitions are divided into beginning, intermediate and advanced braille readers. The Braille Literacy committee will also assist with this opportunity. Let's make South Carolina proud in this competition! Watch for additional information about registration.

Here is David Houck's Federation fun fact for this week! Let's continue to read and learn together about our rich history in South Carolina.

          We often speak of those who were "longtime Federationists" when they pass but sometimes we need to delve further into their history to see the impact they made. One such is Milton Tant. Milton was born and grew up in Easley. Milton graduated from the SC School for the Deaf and the Blind in 1967. He then received masseur training and put this to good use. Milton acquired a job in Augusta at the YMCA Health Club where he had a nine year career which he very much enjoyed. Milton chose to enter the vending facility program where he was very successful in the Commission's Business Enterprise Program. In 1980, Milton moved to Columbia and while he had heard of the federation, he did not actually join the NFB of SC until later. In 1984, Milton moved to Florence. He operated a vending facility on I-95. He had diabetic neuropathy in both legs, requiring the use of leg braces. Many individuals with this kind of condition would have thrown in the towel, but not Milton who admirably had an intense desire to be independent and he did a good job of it. Like Milton, his lovely wife Melinda had some health problems but she liked to work and operated a vending facility at the Farmer's Market in Florence. Milton served several terms on the BEP Committee. Both Milton and Melinda love Rocky Bottom and looked forward to attending Senior Camp. He has attended many state and national conventions and was highly informed as a result of this. Milton was also supportive of the Blind Alumni Association at SCSDB and has used much of his time and resources to attend both alumni and federation meetings throughout the years.