[NFBofSC] Positive Note 1892

Marty McKenzie marty2music at outlook.com
Mon Nov 14 12:00:25 UTC 2022

November 14, 2022
Memo To:  Executive Officers, Board Members, Chapter & Division Presidents & Others
From:  Marty R. McKenzie, President
Positive Note 1892
843-939-8091  marty2music at outlook.com

Dear Federation Family,

There is excitement in the NFB of SC!  Our Annual board retreat occurs November 18-20 at rocky Bottom Retreat and Conference Center of the Blind.  The rocky Bottom board will meet in the morning, and the NFB of SC board will meet in the afternoon. Activities are planned on Friday and Saturday evenings for those who want to take part. Each board member is asked to bring a bag of non-perishable items valued at approximately $15 to exchange during the weekend. These items should include things that are typically needed for holiday cooking.

The Braille Readers are Leaders contest will begin December 5, 2022 and conclude on January 23, 2023. There are competitions for k-12 as well as adults. The adult competitions are divided into beginning, intermediate and advanced braille readers. The Braille Literacy committee will also assist with this opportunity. Let's make South Carolina proud in this competition! Watch for additional information about registration.

The Fundraising committee  will conclude the Pets fundraiser this week. The drawing will take place on November 26. If you have not participated in this fundraiser and wish to do so, please contact Debra Canty at debracanty2021 at gmail.com<mailto:debracanty2021 at gmail.com> or Andrew Adams at adams.andrewd at gmail.com<mailto:adams.andrewd at gmail.com>. Please consider participating and sharing this fundraiser with others outside our Federation family.

The holiday season is rapidly approaching, and there are many NFB of SC parties taking place. Some have already been added to my calendar. If you want a representative from the NFB of SC board of directors to attend your party, please contact me using the information at the top of this Positive Note.  I may not be able to attend all of your parties, but I will certainly try my best.  If I am unable to attend, we will work to ensure that a member of the NFB of SC Board of Directors can join you for these wonderful times of fellowship.

Chapters continue to hold elections and pay dues as requested after the September 17 board meeting. The NFB of SC Board of Directors appreciates your attention to this important request.  It will enable the Membership and Mentoring committee to accurately count our members and know where they are in the state.

Here is David Houck's Federation fun fact for this week! Let's continue to read and learn together about our rich history in South Carolina.

Levern Wilson was the longtime President of our Conway Chapter. He and his wife Jeri moved to South Carolina more than twenty years ago.  Originally, they lived in upper New York state, where he worked 27 years for Eastman Kodak as a skilled set-up machine operator.

Levern noticed a gradual loss of vision, and he and Jeri decided to move to South Carolina. We're glad they did. In addition to being Conway Chapter President, he also served on the NFB of SC state board for several terms.

Levern's hobbies were hunting and cooking. We all knew that Levern was a barbecue Guru.  He made the best barbecue I knew of. At a few of our NFB of SC Legislator Receptions Levern provided the barbecue.  He also provided some fantastic jambalaya for an NFB of SC convention reception, which everybody enjoyed.

Dr. Capps recalled he first met Levern and Jeri at the 1999 Conway Chapter Christmas party.  He is a very kind and caring person and the federation is proud to have him among its membership. Both Levern and Jeri's health have declined in recent years, but Levern calls the Federation Center from time to time.  Other Federationists keep up with Levern as well.