[NFBofSC] NFB President’s Notebook - Week of 11/15/2022

Steve Cook cookcafe at sc.rr.com
Thu Nov 17 10:51:07 UTC 2022

Dear Federation Family,

Happy American Education Week and Federation anniversary week as well. We are on the downslope of fall affiliate conventions and quickly heading into the Thanksgiving season. This will likely be our last notebook before the holiday. I look forward to the opportunity on Wednesday to say this to you live, but let this be my written thank you for your role in our movement.

Our success is due to the collective wisdom of our gathered community. The hearts and hands of our leaders, who have made personal sacrifices for the greater good, make all of the difference. I thank each and every one of you for pouring your energy and imagination into our organization. Your efforts make a huge difference, and I cannot thank you enough.

Last Chance for a Legislative Surge:

Congress is back in session. This is a perfect time to contact your members of Congress to urge them to cosponsor our legislation: Access Technology Affordability Act (H.R. 431/S. 212), Medical Device Nonvisual Accessibility Act (H.R. 4853), Transformation to Competitive Integrated Employment Act (H.R. 2373/S. 3238), and Websites and Software Applications Accessibility Act (H.R. 9021/S. 4998). If we gain support for our legislation in these final few weeks of the 117th Congress, it might be just enough to push it over the top for a late vote before they adjourn for the year. This is our last chance in this Congress and we have to make it count! Your calls and emails absolutely make a difference!

News:

Giving Tuesday:

Giving Tuesday happens on November 29 this year. If you missed giving on White Cane Awareness Day, please consider giving on Giving Tuesday. You can celebrate and you can still double your dollars thanks to a challenge grant from Vispero, the maker of JAWS for Windows. If you are not in a position to give yourself, please share this opportunity with colleagues, friends, and family.

*      Give online at  <https://nfb.org/donate> nfb.org/donate

*      Mail a check to National Federation of the Blind, 200 East Wells Street, Baltimore, MD 21230

*      Contribute by phone using a credit card by calling 410-659-9314, extension 2430

*      Share this information with family and friends!

Thank you for contributing to our mission and helping blind people live the lives they want. For more information visit  <https://nfb.org/get-involved/ways-give/challenging-expectations-partnership-vispero> the Vispero matching-gift landing page

Braille Readers Are Leaders Contest:

The National Federation of the Blind, in partnership with the American Action Fund for Blind Children and Adults, brings you the 2022-2023 Braille Readers Are Leaders Contest. The registration for the contest officially opens today. Registration and logging will be done through Beanstack. You can reach registration by visiting  <https://actionfund.beanstack.org/reader365> https://actionfund.beanstack.org/reader365. You can register now and prepare for all of the Braille reading you will do during the contest.

The contest runs from December 5, 2022, through January 23, 2023, and all of the minutes you read will be logged into Beanstack. You can use the app or web to log your minutes. There will be badges and activities for all age groups, including adults. Sign up today and happy reading!

Dream Makers Circle:

You can help build a future of opportunity for the blind by becoming a member of our Dream Makers Circle. It is easier than you think. You can visit your bank and convert an account to a P.O.D. (payable on death) bank account that is payable after your passing to the National Federation of the Blind or one of our affiliates. Your legacy gift to the National Federation of the Blind or your state affiliate can be made in the form of a will or living trust; an income generating gift; or by naming us as the beneficiary of a retirement plan, IRA, pension, or a life insurance policy. You can designate a specific amount, a percentage, or list the NFB as one of several beneficiaries. For additional information, please contact Patti Chang at 410-659-9314, extension 2422, or at pchang at nfb.org <mailto:pchang at nfb.org> .

Reminders:

Upcoming Early Childhood Initiatives: Santa Letters and Winter Celebration Program:

Again this year, the National Federation of the Blind is not only helping Santa out with Braille letters to blind children but our program also has a winter-themed Braille letter for those who do not celebrate the Christmas holiday. We are excited to provide both of these letters in English and Spanish. Parents of children under the age of ten can select one of the options that best fits their family.

Starting November 7, parents can request the Braille activity packet online, via fax, or email. The celebration packets will start going out to blind children around the country on December 6. The Braille letter will also be accompanied by a print copy for the whole family to participate in the fun activities that accompany the celebration letters. The deadline for letter requests is December 16 to ensure that a return letter in Braille is received before the winter season ends.  <https://nfb.org/programs-services/early-childhood-initiatives/santa-letters> Learn more about the Santa Letters and Winter Celebration Program.

Dates to Keep in Mind:

(all times eastern)

*  November 29: Giving Tuesday

*  December 1: Presidential Release, 8:00 p.m.

*  December 16: Deadline for  <https://nfb.org/programs-services/early-childhood-initiatives/santa-letters> Santa Letters and Winter Celebration

*  December 31: Deadline for assistance with updating member data

*  January 4, 2023:  <https://braille.day/> Braille Day

*  January 30, 2023: Great Gathering-In

*  March 23, 2023: Jacobus tenBroek Disability Law Symposium

*  July 1-6, 2023: National Convention; Houston, Texas

Mark A. Riccobono, President

200 East Wells Street, Baltimore, MD 21230

410-659-9314 |  <mailto:Officeofthepresident at nfb.org> Officeofthepresident at nfb.org

Twitter: @Riccobono

Pronouns: he, him, his

Steve Cook

If you would like to join the Computer Science & Technology Division for the NFB of SC list serve, please send a message to SC-cstd-subscribe at nfbnet.org <mailto:SC-cstd-subscribe at nfbnet.org>

National Association of Guide Dog Users Board Member

President of the Computer Science & Technology Division of the National Federation of the Blind of SC

1st Vice President of the Columbia chapter of the National Federation of the Blind of SC

1st Vice President of the SC Association of Guide Dog Users Division