[NFBofSC] Positive Note 1886

Marty McKenzie marty2music at outlook.com
Mon Oct 3 11:00:59 UTC 2022

October 3, 2022
Memo To:  Executive Officers, Board Members, Chapter & Division Presidents & Others
From:  Marty R. McKenzie, President
Positive Note 1886
843-939-8091  marty2music at outlook.com

Dear Federation Family,

Hurricane Ian passed over South Carolina on Friday with less impact than was originally thought. Federationist and others sheltered in place as the winds and rain blew across this great state. There have been no reports to me thus far of any Federationist who faired poorly in this storm and we are very thankful for this great blessing.

October is Blindness Equality Achievement Month (BEAM) for the National Federation of the Blind. This is a time when we, as blind people, showcase our talents and demonstrate our positive philosophy about blindness to those around us. President Riccobono mentioned growing tired of educating others regarding blindness during the Presidential Release, which took place on October 1, 2022 in Jackson, Mississippi.  Yet, we must continue to educate and ensure that the sighted world understands that blind people can be responsible for ourselves while living full and productive lives. Please take this opportunity to post chapter, division and committee BEAM events to the NFB of SC listserv. You can also send your events to web at nfb.org<mailto:web at nfb.org> to have them posted on the www.nfb.org<http://www.nfb.org> web site. Let others know of the good things you are doing at the local level.

Committee assignments are complete and the list was posted to the listserv on Friday during the storm. There is one name change to be aware of as the work of committees begins. Convention Planning is now Convention Arrangements, which has a somewhat different focus. As committees begin their work, I plan to attend the opening meeting and discuss the committee's work with its membership. Please send any changes/updates to marty2music at outlook.com . In a few weeks, an updated list will be sent out for all.

On September 28, 2022, the Websites and Software Applications Accessibility Act (S. 4998 and HR 9021) was introduced in Congress.  This bill coincided with the celebration of the passing of the Americans with Disabilities Act, which typically takes place in July.  However, the celebration was Postponed this year because President Biden had COVID at the time. The NFB supports this bill, because it has strong language surrounding accessibility of web sites and apps.  We look forward to this bill gaining sponsors and making its way through Congress. Federationists are encouraged to contact their Representatives and Senators to ask for their support of this bill.

Here is David Houck's Federation fun fact for this week! Let's continue to read and learn together about our rich history in South Carolina.

President Donald Capps was disappointed in the low representation in South Carolina from past NFB national . A bus fund was created to charter a bus for the week of July 4 to 9, 1971 for the NFB convention in Houston, Texas (also the destination of the 2023 NFB convention). Of the 1,001 registered convention delegates, 46 were from South Carolina. Dr. Kenneth Jernigan was the NFB President at that time. Robert L. Oglesby of Spartanburg was the official SC delegate and Mildred Kirkland of Charleston was the alternate delegate. It costs $75 per person to ride the 46 passenger chartered bus to Houston round trip. This chartered bus campaign continued until in more recent years when the cost became more prohibitive.