[NFBofSC] Positive Note 1887

Marty McKenzie marty2music at outlook.com
Mon Oct 10 11:00:48 UTC 2022

October 10, 2022
Memo To:  Executive Officers, Board Members, Chapter & Division Presidents & Others
From:  Marty R. McKenzie, President
Positive Note 1887
843-939-8091  marty2music at outlook.com

Dear Federation Family,

It has been a very busy week within the NFB of SC.  Committees began scheduling and holding meetings. The amount of activity around this topic demonstrates that everyone is excited and ready to get to work to build the National Federation of the Blind. While I was not able to attend committee meetings this past week, due to my work as an Ex Officio Trustee of the American Printing House for the Blind (APH), I will attend several meetings during this upcoming week. I appreciate all that is being done to get schedules organized and set. Committees will determine how often they need to meet based on what they hope to accomplish.

While at APH, there was a history-making announcement! Dr. Craig Meador, President of APH announced a partnership among APH, the NFB and Humanware.  These 3 organizations will work together to bring the Dynamic Tactile Display (DTD) to market. Remarks were delivered by NFB President Mark Riccobono, Humanware CEO Bruce Miles and APH President, Dr. Craig Meador.  Bringing a multi-line affordable refreshable Braille display to market has been a goal for the American Printing House for the Blind for Several years.  . The DTD (the device's working name) has ten lines of braille containing thirty-two cells each. It is capable of rendering both braille and tactile graphics within the same display. This will be a game changer for both blind students and adults.

There is excitement at the Federation Center as preparations are made for Successful Transitions to move back into space there by December 31, 2022. The Center also continues to get a refresh.  Groups and individuals are once again able to rent the space for their special events.. If you have not visited our headquarters in some time, you will be pleasantly surprised and pleased with the work of Chairman Ed Bible and the Federation Center board.  Thanks to all of them for a job well done!

Congratulations to Andrenia Corder on being named the Director of Successful Transitions. Andrenia served as Interim Director since August 11, 2022 and she has done a great job of reorganizing Successful Transitions.

Blindness Equality Achievement Month is in full swing and many events were shared on the NFB of SC listserv. If you have not already done so, please take this opportunity to post chapter, division and committee BEAM events to the NFB of SC listserv. You can also send your events to web at nfb.org<mailto:web at nfb.org> to have them posted on the www.nfb.org<http://www.nfb.org> web site. Let others know of the good things you are doing at the local level.

Here is David Houck's Federation fun fact for this week! Let's continue to read and learn together about our rich history in South Carolina.

The National Federation of the Blind usually held leadership seminars. In fact, Donald and Betty Capps attended one following their first NFB convention. On January 30, 1971 the SC Aurora Club of the Blind (now the NFB of SC), held its first Statewide Seminar having 40 participants. The primary purpose was to discuss the organization's operations in all aspects. The first order of business was to discuss the then 27 year old Aurora constitution. Presidential Committee assignments were reviewed as well as proper rules of order during chapter meetings, etc. Participants were given suggested guidelines for chapter agendas with suggestions for monthly speakers. Proper decorum for chapter operations and proper attitudes for members were also discussed. These annual NFB of SC January Statewide Seminars continue to this day.