[NFBofSC] Positive Note 1888

Marty McKenzie marty2music at outlook.com
Mon Oct 17 11:00:18 UTC 2022

October 17, 2022
Memo To:  Executive Officers, Board Members, Chapter & Division Presidents & Others
From:  Marty R. McKenzie, President
Positive Note 1887
843-939-8091  marty2music at outlook.com

Dear Federation Family,

Blindness Equality Achievement Month (BEAM) is in full swing with several events taking place across South Carolina in recent days. I appreciate everyone posting their chapter and division events on the NFB of SC listserv! It is clear that the NFB of SC is dedicated to ensuring that blind people can live the lives they want. Blindness is not what holds us back!

October 15, 2022 was recognized as White Cane Safety Day and there were events across the nation that celebrated this important day in the history of blind people. Governor McMaster declared October 15, 2022 White Cane Safety Day in South Carolina and the proclamation was shared with the listserv by David Houck. The long white cane is a proud symbol of blindness and is proudly carried by members of the NFB.

The Friends of Rocky Bottom fundraiser is under way from October 1 through December 31, 2022. Chairman Thom Spittle and the Rocky Bottom Board  is looking forward to the funds this will raise to assist the camp as the winter months approach and rentals decrease. Please consider what you, your chapter or division can give during this time as we work to replenish the coffers of our beloved camp. Rocky Bottom had a rough summer with major infrastructure improvements which were required. Of course, we welcome donations from anyone who wants to support this wonderful program! For more information, please contact Thom Spittle at 803-331-3344 or via e-mail at rockybottominfo at gmail.com<mailto:rockybottominfo at gmail.com>.

It is now time for chapters and divisions to hold elections for the 2023 calendar year. These typically occur in October or November for the upcoming year and some chapters and divisions have already completed this requirement. Please make sure that you share your new chapter and division boards with the State Office in a timely manner so that our records are current.

Chapters and divisions should begin collecting dues for the 2023 calendar year. These are due by December 31, 2022 and should be paid to the local chapter. There is an additional memo which will be released soon regarding membership and dues. Please pay careful attention to this memo and follow the instructions provided in it. If you have questions, the Membership and Mentoring committee or I can assist you.

Palmetto Connects will take place on Thursday, October 20, 2022 at 7:30 p.m. on the Federation Center Zoom platform. Please mark this time on your calendar as we share updates with you regarding the next month.

Here is David Houck's Federation fun fact for this week! Let's continue to read and learn together about our rich history in South Carolina.

(From the February 1977 Greater Columbia Magazine By Joseph Cauhan, Editor/Publisher) "Suzanne Bridges, Executive Director, Federation Center of the Blind"  (Editor's Note: Before David Houck became Center Executive Director in 1983, Suzanne Bridges was the first Executive Director from 1977 to 1983. In those days the Center used a Mimeograph machine, rotary dial phones, there were no computers and the technology of the day was an Optacon, an individual character recognition device.)
          "Since June 1977, the Federation Center of the Blind has a new Executive Director, Suzanne Bridges, an attractive and talented young lady. In her spare time, Suzanne, who is legally blind with only ten percent sight, is finishing her PhD degree in Clinical Psychology. She has been a brilliant student, graduating from AC Flora High School in 1971 with honors and the University of South Carolina with a BA degree in 1974, once again with honors. She was an organizing chairman and past president of the National Federation of the Blind Student Division. She is also a Phi Beta Kappa.
Suzanne Bridges Mitchell as she is now known, went on to work as director of the state agency serving blind people in Louisiana. As of April 1998 she begins serving a term as President of the National Council of State Agencies for the Blind (NCSAB), the professional organization of state agency directors in the blindness field.