[NFBofSC] Expansion preparations at the Federation Center of the Blind

David Houck nfbsc at sc.rr.com
Wed Oct 19 13:34:23 UTC 2022

	October 19, 2022

	Dear Fellow Federationists & Friends:

	 The Federation Center of the Blind, a non-profit organization, is in
an exciting year of service. Not only do we utilize blind adaptive
technology instructors to train 50 blind students annually to fully
use computers and voiceover access on mobile phones, but we also
distributed 120 talking medical devices to 62 blind South Carolinians
statewide.

	 If that weren’t enough, we are preparing to receive Successful
Transitions which is targeted at blind high school students in order
to transition them into either college or work. This program begins at
the Cenbter in December.

	 In order to prepare for this, we have expended $33,500 in
renovations this year including a wheelchair ramp, new entrance doors
for the parking lot, front porch and kitchen area. New office flooring
has also been installed.

	 The only project remaining in 2022 is converting our lounge area
into an office. This will cost $5,200 and is necessary before
Successful Transitions can move in to our facilities.

	 We respectfully request a significant tax deductible contribution to
help cover this cost as we have never borrowed money to finance a
project in our 61 year history. Make checks payable to the Federation
Center of the Blind and mark for “building fund.” Mail to
Federation Center of the Blind, 119 S. Kilbourne Rd., Columbia, SC
29205. Thank you in advance for your kind consideration.

	Cordially,

	David Houck

	David Houck

	Executive Director