[NFBofSC] Free Matter for the Blind - USPS

Mike and Jean mjs1981 at sc.rr.com
Thu Oct 20 15:58:10 UTC 2022

Thanks

From: NFBofSC <nfbofsc-bounces at nfbnet.org> On Behalf Of Ed Bible via NFBofSC
Sent: Thursday, October 20, 2022 11:10 AM
To: 'NFB of South Carolina Mailing List' <nfbofsc at nfbnet.org>
Cc: Ed Bible <ebible at sc.rr.com>
Subject: [NFBofSC] Free Matter for the Blind - USPS

Hello,

I sent this to the At-Large chapter in the past. I thought all would be interested as I understand there has been difficulty with the Post Office accepting free matter for the blind.

Below are the actual regulations

Blessings,

Ed Bible

270 Free Matter for the Blind

271 Description and Physical Characteristics

271.1 General

Matter may be entered free of postage provided that at least one of the following criteria is met:

a.	The item is sent to or by an organization for the blind.
b.	The item is sent to or by a person who is registered as blind or who meets the World Health Organization’s definition of a blind person or a person with low vision.

Note: An “organization for the blind” (see 271.1 <https://pe.usps.com/text/Imm/immc2_031.htm#ep2973330> a <https://pe.usps.com/text/Imm/immc2_031.htm#ep2973333> ) means an institution or association serving or officially representing blind persons.

271.2 Weight Limits

The following weight limits apply to the mail classes identified in 273 <https://pe.usps.com/text/Imm/immc2_033.htm#ep2973410> :

Maximum Weight Limit

Mail Service

4 Pounds

Priority Mail International Flat Rate Envelopes and Small Flat Rate Priced Boxes

First-Class Mail International

First-Class Package International Service

15 pounds

Priority Mail International parcels

Priority Mail International Medium and Large Flat Rate Boxes