[NFBofSC] Positive Note 1912

Marty McKenzie marty2music at outlook.com
Mon Apr 3 12:11:06 UTC 2023

April 3, 2023
Memo To:  Executive Officers, Board Members, Chapter & Division Presidents & Others
From:  Marty R. McKenzie, President
Positive Note 1912
843-939-8091  marty2music at outlook.com

Dear Federation Family,

Federationists are always building the movement, working on a variety of items at any given time. There is a great deal of work that happens in the background with chapters, divisions and committees. it is easy for us to get caught up in this work and lose sight of our goal. Federation history and philosophy are important things for members to be knowledgeable about, and this takes time and energy. We are far more than a social club; we create policy, advocate for changes in laws affecting blind citizens and dream of what the future can be for all blind people.

The foremost publication of the National Federation of the Blind is the Braille Monitor. This publication contains articles written by Federationist and others that strengthen our knowledge of the NFB and give us hope for the future.

The Braille Monitor is the flagship publication of the NFB and is published eleven times per year since 1957. According to www.nfb.org<http://www.nfb.org>, The Braille Monitor:

  *   Offers a positive philosophy about blindness to both blind readers and the public at large
  *   Serves as a vehicle for advocacy and protection of civil rights
  *   Addresses social concerns affecting the blind
  *   Discusses issues related to employment, education, legislation, and rehabilitation
  *   Provides news about products and technology used by the blind

The Braille Monitor is available online, via e-mail, in 14-point ink-print, in braille and on flash drive. It can also be accessed from NewsLine and the NFB podcast. Members are encouraged and non-members are required to pay $40 per year for subscriptions if you access it in a format other than electronically. Subscribers living outside of the United States have a different subscription amount. Please call 410-659-9314, extension 2344, or you may e-mail nfbpublications at nfb.org<mailto:nfbpublications at nfb.org> for additional information.

The Embassy Suites is now accepting reservations for the NFB of SC state convention, which will take place August 18-20, 2023. Rooms can be booked at $112 plus tax and any applicable fees for singles, doubles, triples and quads for August 17- 20, 2023. You may book online at our special hotel link<https://www.hilton.com/en/book/reservation/rooms/?ctyhocn=CAEGSES&arrivalDate=2023-04-02&departureDate=2023-04-03&groupCode=NFB&room1NumAdults=1&bm-verify=AAQAAAAH______E4ysPrHQr_GvKH92wMXGy-YVU2CHyz6-mcP-RCgowy8YL2Z27yhn9vNqpQ96KaNOVkbIYFOlo8dnSfqkTmGGprdrWf890wYEqUVkPa4nfj6oK3R6iO9Q2FQ7YmXAYgLihj54wRtKDujRx-A1SJsRQCGtPNQ6hfhnB5xWQl75DLpEUw4Q5Q8qrqZxRyEIMMxqwVrheWjX0duZNoDImMwrO4zlWz0O8ng4p4Hz81kB2neElBh6cTmTP573LuEeY0OZ-96jUQBChvrwMuKbYAzAHooLGacno3_OSV8sjdRXcV0JEyHiOcLme8ahdpHJJAHdiRUyN5cOP8sxZxzU2WNMYDVkIK_wGPd5MGFWnjHTf5OHYVBWXjABksuZiiOTjahdm_6yzaFRRh9ROJyMg4iDei73-8BlIm>, or, you may call the Embassy Suites at 803-252-8700. Rates are the same for singles, doubles, triples and quads. Currently members are not being charged the first night's room; instead, a hold is placed on your card until check-in

Important Things to Remember:

  *   SCPOBC on April 13, 2023 at 6:00 PM
  *   NFB of SC Board Meeting on April 15 at the Federation Center at 10:00 AM
  *   Lions Vision Services Fishing trip on April 21-22, 2023
  *   Houston ticket sales drawing on May 30, 2023

If you need additional information about any of the items above, please contact David Houck at the Federation Center at 803-254-3777. You can also contact me as shown above.

Here is David Houck's Federation Fun Fact for this week! Let's continue to read and learn together about our rich history in South Carolina.

"The Braille Monitor," a publication of the National Federation of the Blind. Like "walking Alone, Marching Together," the Braille Monitor magazine is our national publication. It is a brilliant place to research various aspects of our movement, speeches, conventions, struggles and successes within the organized blind movement. Beginning in 1957, the Braille Monitor documents most everything important to the blind. You can find Braille Monitor issues at https://nfb.org/resources/publications-and-media/braille-monitor. If you are interested in a synopsis of the NFB's flagship publication, you can read a brief history of the Braille Monitor at: https://nfb.org/blog/brief-history-braille-monitor. If you are doing a paper on the organized blind movement or even an aspect of its history, I can think of no better source to go to do your research. There are even index files to assist in finding certain topics. The Federation Center has many of these Monitors going back to its inception.