[NFBofSC] Columbia Chapter February & March minutes

David Houck nfbsc at sc.rr.com
Thu Apr 13 21:23:04 UTC 2023

	NFB of SC Columbia Chapter Meeting Minutes

	February 9, 2023

	Our February meeting was called to order by Ike Nelson at 6:15 pm.
Tina Holmes led us in the pledge to the American flag, Pathronda
Anderson led us in our invocation, and Shannon Cook recited the One
Minute Message for us.

	Announcements:

	Ø Valentine’s Banquet this Saturday, February 11th

	Ø Feb 16th – Senior meeting on the Palmetto Platform at 2 pm

	Ø March 17th – Columbia Chapter Fellowship from 4-7:00 pm at the
Federation Center ***Bring your favorite old song…Ike will sing it
for us, teehee!

	Ø Tina thanked everyone for helping in the “Dime a Dozen”
fundraiser. $129 was collected.

	Ø Valentine treat for the 50/50 raffle

	Ø Rocky Bottom raffle taking place now…$5 per ticket. The prize is
$500. An additional $50 if you sold the ticket. The chapter that sells
the most tickets gets $300. Sumter is in first place currently.

	From our President: It is exciting to see so many gathered. I am
enjoying your hospitality. Enjoy your meeting!

	Steve Cook welcomed our visitors including; Marty McKenzie, Trent
Teddar, Joan Johnson, and Brandon Jenkins. For our dining pleasure, we
had pulled bbq with bun, potato chips, baked beans, drinks, and
cupcakes. Forty five people were in attendance to fellowship together.
New members that were voted into the chapter include: Shae Phillips,
Rhonda Phillips, Rashanda Stamps, and Christopher Davis.

	The role was called, birthdays were announced and the January minutes
were read and accepted.

	Andrena Corder shared information about services they provide for
youth with disabilities across South Carolina. A contract is in place
and being utilized by SC Department of Vocational Rehabilitation to
provide services for youth in private and home school environments.
New solicitations have been made to bridge the gap that Covid 19 left
in gaining work opportunities for our youth with disabilities.
Currently, efforts are in place to establish a contract with the
Commission for the Blind to continue services for youth receiving
services from SCCB. There are many upcoming events to build the NFB of
SC as well as building up our youth to embrace their future.

	Thom Spittle presented the Financial Report. Our current bank balance
is $3,846.93, $285 in the bag, and after expenses, available cash is
$1,532.18.

	Our devotion came from Psalm 38:9, “Oh Lord, all my longing is
before you; my sighing is not hidden from you.” You are not alone.
You are significant. You are accepted unconditionally. You are loved
by God. Living loved isn’t a matter of location or situation – it
is a matter of the mind that impacts our souls. Our loneliness is seen
by God. So we are never truly alone. Let’s live loved – because we
are.

	Barbecue Fundraiser – Our annual fundraiser will be held April
27th. Discussion and vote was held regarding price. The ticket prices
for a bbq or quarter chicken plate are $12. For the first time,
tickets will be available for purchase online in addition to accepting
cash money. We will not be canvasing this year due to safety. Tickets
will be available in a week or two. Please reach out to David Houck
for tickets. Unsold tickets will need to be returned if not sold.
Donations will be acceptable!

	Member spotlight! Maggie Floyd born among 11 siblings. Seven of the
children experienced blindness. Six of the siblings attended Cedar
Springs. This was her first opportunity to learn, have a book, and
touch a school bus. Held many jobs, attended the Hadley School for the
Blind for two years and built a business from the ground up. She is
now working under the BEP program. “I am very grateful to God for
where he has brought us” because we did not come from a traditional
educational experience. “It is never too late to make yourself who
you want to be! It is never too late to reach back and pull your
brother or sister who did not make it where you are.”

	Prayers and Condolences -In remembrance of Marshall Tucker who passed
away on January 18th 2023. If you would like to watch the funeral
service which was full of scripture and music, you can search on
YouTube under “Marshall Tucker funeral”. Please remember Dale
Waltoff in your thoughts and prayers.

	50/50 raffle - $50.50 was won by Darlene Houck. Shae Stamps won the
Hershey kiss valentine treat.

	Meeting was adjourned at 8:00 pm.

	NFB of SC Columbia Chapter Meeting Minutes

	March 9, 2023

	Our March meeting was called to order by Ike Nelson at 6:15 pm by
President, Ike Nelson. Mary Peters led participants in the pledge to
the American flag. Melanie Torrence led participants in the NFB flag.
The invocation was provided by David Houck. Shannon Cook recited the
“One Minute Message”.

	Dinner included chicken salad on croissant, chips, soda/water, and a
cookie.

	Steve Cook welcomed everyone and visitors, Contressa Polite and Joan
Johnson. Forty-four individuals were present this meeting.

	BBQ/Chicken tickets are available. Come by the Federation Center to
pick up yours to sell today!

	April 1st at 2 pm, Federation trip to Little Pig. If you need a ride,
please contact Lisa Best. 203-520-2186

	Rocky Bottom Retreat and Conference Center of the Blind – Chapter
retreat on Memorial Day Weekend. Sign up starts on Friday, March 9th.
Please call Ike Nelson at (cell) 803-413-2434 or (Home)803-735-0821.
There is a $20 fee for each person. Bring your own sheets. Departure
is on Friday. Return takes place on Monday.

	Lisa Best -ride coordinator. Please let her know if you need a ride
to the chapter meeting, 203-520-2186.

	Secretary Report – The role was called, birthdays were celebrated,
minutes were read and accepted, prayer announcements made.

	Treasurer’s Report – Currently $896 in the bag, Bank balance is
3,221. 93 bringing us to a total of 4,042.93. Out of that balance, we
have a fundraiser balance of $1,369.93. Van Fund totals $597.82. Our
available balance is $1,745.18.

	Special Recognition – Received a $500 donation from _______.
Special interviews on WLTX with Ike Nelson and Shannon Cook. They were
able to share information about our organization, how the community
has contributed over the years, and how to get involved with the NFB.
Shelley announced that information about the BBQ heired on WIS Soda
City.

	Member Spotlight – Mary Peters from Winsboro, SC. She has 6
brothers, 2 sisters, and mother is 93. She has four lovely
grandchildren and 2 daughters. Became a vendor in 95. Friend, Becky,
is the person she credits for her independence today. Becky begged mom
to allow her to go to Commission for the Blind for services to assist
her in building her confidence. She says, “I am proud of myself. If
you can not be proud of yourself, then no one else will be.” And
“I encourage you to go to the state conventions”. “I encourage
you to not let someone else do for you what you can do for
yourself.”

	Fundraiser – Andrew Adams announced a statewide fundraiser to win
$800. You may purchase 1 ticket for $5 or 3 tickets for $10. You may
give cash for tickets to David Houck, send the money through Paypal on
the NFBofSC.org website. You can also send a check made payable to
NFBofSC to 119 S. Kilbourne Road, Columbia, SC 29205 with “hotel
tickets” written in the memo field. A second fundraiser is taking
place to raffle off a Clemson and a Carolina double sided blanket that
was lovingly made and donated to the chapter anonymously. Tickets are
$2 each.

	Prayer Requests – Please pray for each other and lift special
prayer for Andre Wiggins and his family for the passing of his mother
and Dale Waltoff who is in Hospice Care.

	Announcements

	Ø April 1st – Columbia Chapter trip to Little Pig

	Ø April 14th – Columbia Chapter meeting

	Ø Shannon Cook’s birthday celebration on April 22nd at 1 pm. All
are welcome to join in the celebration of her “50” birthday. Food
and fellowship will be available for all to participate.

	Ø April 27th – BBQ fundraiser

	50/50 winner – Rhonda Phillips won $63!!!

	$5 winner – Caroline Phillips

	Meeting adjourned at 7:50 pm.