[NFBofSC] Positive Note 1915

Marty McKenzie marty2music at outlook.com
Mon Apr 24 11:00:36 UTC 2023

April 24, 2023
Memo To:  Executive Officers, Board Members, Chapter & Division Presidents & Others
From:  Marty R. McKenzie, President
Positive Note 1915
843-939-8091  marty2music at outlook.com

Dear Federation Family,

April is rapidly coming to a close, and there is much excitement within the NFB of SC due to upcoming conventions, special events and fundraisers. As the school year reaches its end, let us all prepare for the busy summer season ahead. There are many things to share this week, so keep this Positive Note handy as a reminder.

Palmetto Connects will take place on Tuesday, April 25, 2023 at 7:00 p.m. on the NFB of SC Zoom platform. Please have chapter calling trees share this information with their members. You can dial in at 929-205-6099 . The meeting ID is 803-254-3777#. If a password is required, it is 124578.

The Columbia chapter is hosting its barbecue dinner after a three year pause  due to the pandemic. Dinners can be picked up at the Federation Center between 12:00 and 8:00 p.m. on Thursday, April 27, 2023.  The chapter will offer BBQ sandwiches, BBQ plates with sides and BBQ chicken plates with sides. For more information, visit www.nfbofsc.org<http://www.nfbofsc.org> or call the Federation Center at 803-254-3777.

Advocacy Day for Access and Independence will take place on April 25, 2023 at the State House steps, and the NFB of SC is participating! Shannon cook will serve as our representative for this event. Please reach out to her at coffeequeensc1 at sc.rr.com<mailto:coffeequeensc1 at sc.rr.com>, or Sarah Massengale at skmassengale at gmail.com<mailto:skmassengale at gmail.com> for additional information.  If you would like to learn more about the issues being championed at Advocacy Day 2023, you can visit https://unlockingbarriers-sc.org/barriers/#<https://unlockingbarriers-sc.org/barriers/>.  We will share on the NFB of SC listserv as well. Thanks, Shannon, for taking on this role!

Midlands Gives is happening on May 2, 2023, and the NFB of SC is participating.  Thanks to a donation from The Cheerful Giver, we have a chance to have any donations we receive matched up to five thousand dollars. Thank you to The Cheerful Giver for this amazing opportunity.  You can start giving to the NFB of SC now by visiting https://www.midlandsgives.org/NFBOFSC and donating now through 11:59 p.m. on May 2, 2023.  On May second, you can also call the Federation Center at 803-254-3777, where folks will be standing bye to help you donate.  Please share this information with your chapters, divisions, and any others who would be interested in supporting our mission as the NFB of SC.  Make sure to use the hashtags #MidlandsGives and #InvestForImpact if you share on social media like Facebook and Twitter.

Rocky Bottom also needs your support for Midlands Gives.    You can start giving now by visiting https://www.midlandsgives.org/rockybottom, and donations will end on May 2, 2023 at 11:59 p.m.  On May 2, folks will be standing bye at the Federation Center to help if you would prefer to give over the phone.  You can reach the Federation Center at 803- 254-3777.  Our goal is to get as many donations as we can between 12:00 and 1:00 PM, giving Rocky Bottom the chance to win a special prize during the Midlands Gives Power Hour.  Please help support this beautiful space unique to the blind of South Carolina.

Registration for the national convention is underway, and you should register if you plan to attend. Registration is $25, and a banquet ticket is $70. You must visit the banquet exchange table early in the convention to ensure that you are sitting at a table with friends if that is what you wish to do. To register, visit https://nfb.org/civicrm/event/register?reset=1&id=572. You should review the Code of Conduct prior to registering for the national convention.

The Embassy Suites is now accepting reservations for the NFB of SC state convention, which will take place August 18-20, 2023. Rooms can be booked at $112 plus tax and any applicable fees for singles, doubles, triples and quads for August 17- 20, 2023. You may call the Embassy Suites at 803-252-8700. Members are not being charged the first night's room; instead, a hold is placed on your card until check-in.

Registration for the NFB of SC State Convention is now live!  The cost is $85 for adults, $55 for students and $30 for children under eighteen. These prices all adjust upward after August 4, 2023. Please visit www.nfbofsc.org<http://www.nfbofsc.org> to register online. If you need assistance, online, please contact me and someone will assist you. We are working on a print form for those who may need it.

Saturday at 3:00 p.m., several happy, blind fishermen and women returned to the Federation Center. Jim Jackson  and Pathronda Anderson of Columbia won the top prizes and will go to the North Carolina regional fishing tournament later this year. Thanks to Jon Nelson for driving the van and Isaiah Nelson for renting a small trailer for the luggage. We extend our appreciation to Lions Vision Services for providing Federationists with this wonderful opportunity!

Important Things to Remember:

*        Advocacy Day for Access and Independence at the SC State House on April 25, 2023

*        Midlands Gives on May 2, 2023

*        Houston ticket sales drawing on May 30, 2023

*        National Convention early registration is May 31, 2023

*        National Convention Hotel deadline is May 31, 2023

If you need additional information about any of the items above, please contact David Houck at the Federation Center at 803-254-3777. You can also contact me as shown above.

Here is David Houck's Federation Fun Fact for this week! Let's continue to read and learn together about our rich history in South Carolina.

Donald Capps' comments in the March 12, 2014  Positive Note: "Having worked closely with my good friend Bob Bell in this big program of service to the blind for approximately 45 years, when I learned of his death occurring on Monday, March 10, 2014, I felt just like I had lost a family member. Bob enriched my life. I can think of no one in the NFB of SC who has had more dedicated service to the blind than that given by Bob. He served as President of the Greenville Chapter in the 1970's and later served as the longtime President of the Laurens Chapter. He also served as President of the NFB of SC in the 1980's. For many years, Bob served as Chairman of the Ellen Beach Mack Home Award Committee where he worked with numerous blind persons in making cash awards to assist in the purchase or remodeling of a home. Bob was also very active in national programs which included attending many NFB conventions. The Robert R. Bell Federation Center of the Blind (Bell Center) was an anonymous gift to the Laurens Chapter and was a tangible expression by many who admired Bob for his sterling service to the blind. Named in his honor, the Bell Center has been the site of many different programs improving the lives of many blind persons. Bob loved Rocky Bottom Retreat and Conference Center of the Blind and a room in the Conference Center was named in his honor. Included in his service to RBRCCB was his being Director of Senior Week as he was initially responsible for the growth of this needed service. Additionally, Bob served as the Chairman of the Board of Directors of RBRCCB as he made many outstanding accomplishments for the growth of Rocky Bottom. His list of accomplishments included several terms served on the Board of Commissioners of the Commission for the Blind. He stood up for what he believed, always adhering to the philosophy of the Federation. For many years Bob was primarily and principally responsible for the day to day operation of the Bell Center.  This included fundraising projects to meet the budget of the Bell Center."

Marty

Marty R. McKenzie, President
National Federation of the Blind of South Carolina
119 S. Kilbourne Road
Columbia, SC 29205
Phone: 803-254-3777
Mobile: 843-939-8091