[NFBofSC] FW: Resending (to fix a broken link): NFB President’s Notebook - Week of 08/28/2022

Marty McKenzie marty2music at outlook.com
Tue Aug 29 21:14:45 UTC 2023

Good Afternoon,

Please see below.

My Best,

Marty

From: President, National Federation of the Blind <OfficeOfThePresident at nfb.org>
Sent: Tuesday, August 29, 2023 8:34 AM
To: State Presidents <StatePresidents at nfb.org>; NFB-Division-Leaders at nfbnet.org; NCB Staff <NCBStaff at nfb.org>
Subject: Resending (to fix a broken link): NFB President’s Notebook - Week of 08/28/2022

President’s Notebook
National Federation of the Blind
Mark A. Riccobono
officeofthepresident at nfb.org<mailto:officeofthepresident at nfb.org>
410-659-9314

Dear Federation Family,
In Baltimore today it is the first day of school. It is a day that brings a lot of new energy and nervous excitement. For me it is also a day of reflection about the thousands of little interactions that built to this moment. No matter what the past has been, with a new school year there is opportunity for growth and development.
I am also reflecting on this new school year as we head into the next Federation leadership seminar starting Wednesday evening. Fifty years ago, Kenneth Jernigan was preparing for the first of this generation of seminars. That pathway of leaders has made all the difference in building our movement. Those leaders have also continued to grow and develop the movement in ways that Kenneth Jernigan likely did not imagine in August 1973.
I reflect on all of this as today is also the sixtieth anniversary of the March on Washington, which is more widely known for Dr. King’s “I Have a Dream” speech. This all reminds me that progress, even within big sweeping movements like ours, is not built in big moments but in small ones. Our steady march forward relies on the thousands of contributions made by individuals in local communities. It relies on us not always getting it right but in always pointing toward our ultimate goals and adjusting our work to get better each day. Each of you, as a leader in the movement, is critical to pulling together those thousands of small actions and connecting them into a network that makes all the difference to the blind all around the world.
These are my reflections on the first day of school and on the next fifty years of NFB leadership development, which begins this week.

Critical Actions:
September Presidential Release—On the Road:
The National Federation of the Blind Presidential Release #530<https://nfb.org/resources/publications-and-media/presidential-releases> will be broadcast from Chicago, Illinois, on September 7, 2023, at 8:00 p.m., eastern. Closed captions and Spanish interpretations will be available. Presidential Release Zoom ID: 929 8267 9807<https://nfb-org.zoom.us/j/92982679807>.

News:
2024 Washington Seminar:
While I won’t say that it’s right around the corner, the 2024 Washington Seminar is quickly approaching. Consider this notification as a kind of “save the date.” Next year’s Washington Seminar will be held at the Holiday Inn Washington – National Capitol from Monday, January 29 through Thursday, February 1, 2024. As is tradition, the Great Gathering-In will be on that Monday (January 29, 2024) at 5:00 p.m. That’s only five months away, so be sure to stay tuned for updates in the near future regarding hotel reservation and additional scheduling details.

Service Animals on Airlines:
Amanda Morris, a journalist for The Washington Post, recently published an article detailing the problems that blind Americans are encountering when trying to fly on commercial airlines with their service animals. The article can be read in the August 28 edition of The Washington Post<https://www.washingtonpost.com/wellness/2023/08/28/airline-regulations-service-animals/>. In the article, Morris recounts the experience of Federation member Elizabeth Schoen, who was recently denied boarding a JetBlue flight because of her service dog.

Route 66 Ride for Literacy Update:
The National Federation of the Blind Route 66 Ride for Literacy with Dan O’Rourke is still going strong. Dan crossed from Oklahoma to Kansas to Missouri over the weekend. He has celebrated the ride so far with Federationists along the way. There is one more pitstop party in Missouri on August 31 before the final celebration in Chicago on September 8. Please share this ride with your friends and family to raise awareness on the importance of Braille literacy and connecting with our community. Follow the Ride for Literacy at nfb.org/route66<https://nfb.org/route66>.

Lift Up with Lyft Round Up:
The National Federation of the Blind has joined Lyft’s Round Up program. Please go to the menu in your Lyft app, choose “Donate,” and select the National Federation of the Blind to have each fare rounded up to the nearest dollar with 100 percent of your contribution going to raise expectations and make dreams come true.

LEGO Braille Bricks:
Lego Braille Bricks, which have previously only been available to educational partners serving the blind through the LEGO Foundation, are now available for sale in the United States. Pre-orders are now being accepted for the new LEGO® Braille Bricks – Play with Braille <https://www.lego.com/en-us/aboutus/news/2023/august/lego-braille-bricks-play-with-braille->  set, which contains over 250 of the Braille Bricks in five colors. Braille is a key pathway to literacy, and engaging blind and low-vision children with fun and creative Braille tools puts them on the path to success. LEGO Braille Bricks are a cool way for blind and non-blind friends and family to learn about and create with Braille together. LEGO is already an integral part of the lives of many young people, including my own family. By making Braille part of the LEGO experience, the company is creating exciting opportunities for education, inclusion, and innovation. We are thrilled to be a partner in the introduction of LEGO Braille Bricks to the American market.

Submit Blind Equality Achievement Month Activities:
Throughout October, members of the National Federation of the Blind conduct activities in our local communities such as white cane walks, film screenings, and social events. Please submit your affiliate or chapter-related #BlindMonth activities, including the white cane proclamations<https://nfb.org/programs-services/blind-equality-achievement-month/white-cane-awareness-day>, with a brief description to web at nfb.org<mailto:web at nfb.org>. They will be posted on the Blind Equality Achievement Month page at nfb.org/blind-month<https://nfb.org/blind-month>.

Reminders:
Honor Roll Call:
For affiliates and divisions still intending to make roll call donations, please send an email to rollcall at nfb.org<mailto:rollcall at nfb.org> detailing the amount to go to each fund (Kenneth Jernigan Fund, Sun Shares, White Cane Fund, and Jacobus tenBroek Memorial Fund). Please mail checks payable to National Federation of the Blind and send to 200 East Wells Street, Baltimore, Maryland, 21230, Attention: Fiscal Services – Roll Call, and write Roll Call in the check memo. If you want to send the funds by ACH directly to our bank, please contact Bridgid Burke, bburke at nfb.org<mailto:bburke at nfb.org> or call 410-659-9314, extension 2271. For those affiliates and divisions that made pledges, please remember we ask that all pledges be fulfilled by August 31.

Dates to Keep in Mind:
(all times eastern)

  *   August 31: Deadline for affiliates to request calendars<mailto:actionfund at actionfund.org>
  *   September 14 and 17: Chapter Presidents Call, 8:00 p.m. (Blind Equality Achievement Month)
  *   October: Blind Equality Achievement Month
  *   November 8: Introduction to the Organized Blind Movement, 8:00 p.m.
  *   December 7 and 10: Chapter Presidents Call, 8:00 p.m. (Planning the Year Ahead)
  *   July 3-8, 2024: National Convention; Orlando, Florida

Mark A. Riccobono, President
200 East Wells Street, Baltimore, MD 21230
410-659-9314 | Officeofthepresident at nfb.org<mailto:Officeofthepresident at nfb.org>
Mastodon: @President at nfb.social
Pronouns: he, him, his

[National Federation of the Blind]<https://nfb.org/>