[NFBofSC] Positive Note 1947

Marty McKenzie marty2music at outlook.com
Mon Dec 4 12:00:32 UTC 2023

December 4, 2023
Memo To:  Executive Officers, Board Members, Chapter & Division Presidents & Others
From:  Marty R. McKenzie, President
Positive Note 1947
843-939-8091  marty2music at outlook.com

Dear Federation Family,

December is here and we enter one of the busiest and most joyful times of the year. Federationists across the state, indeed, the nation are preparing for holiday celebrations with parties and other activities! I am scheduled to attend a few of these during this month and I look forward to bringing greetings from the state office to these chapters.

The Presidential Release took place on November 30, 2023 and President Riccobono shared that a bill has been introduced in Congress that creates an opportunity to move the Access Technology Affordability Act forward. We need as many co-sponsors as possible in both houses of Congress. Please reach out to David Houck or Anna Price for additional information or to get information about how you can contact your members of Congress. This bill would provide a $2,000 tax credit for the purchase of access technology by the blind.

>From Andrew Adams
I attended the Anderson Chapter Christmas Event on Saturday, December 2, 2023, where we indulged in great food and fellowship. The Anderson Chapter did a magnificent job bringing awareness to the organization by inviting members of the Anderson community as well as a member from the County Council. Also in attendance were members from the Cherokee Chapter, Columbia Chapter, and the Spartanburg Chapter. Bob Railton of the Anderson Chapter provided a uplifting testimony about being a member of the NFB of SC. James Byers of the Cherokee Chapter provided a empowering speech on fostering opportunities that present themselves to us in life, Belinda Banks of the Spartanburg Chapter gave an inspiring testimony navigating this world as a blind individual, and Andrew Adams, as the Keynote speaker, spoke on life challenges and how blind individuals can do the same as a sighted person. This was a joyous occasion where the Anderson Chapter united blind and sighted individuals during this Holiday Season.

>From Steve Cook
The SC Association of Guide Dog Users (SCAGDU) is having a Honey Baked Ham fundraiser that promises to be a delectable and heartwarming experience for all participants. The savory allure of Honey Baked Ham's signature dishes is sure to draw you in for the wonderful flavors! The centerpiece of the fundraiser is, of course, their mouthwatering, slow-roasted ham, glazed to perfection with their unique blend of honey and spices. Whether it's served in slices, sandwiches, or as part of a wholesome meal, the unmistakable flavor of Honey Baked Ham is a crowd-pleaser that brings people together for a common cause. To complement the main attraction, a delightful array of sides, desserts, and beverages, all carefully selected from the Honey Baked Ham menu, will create an unforgettable dining experience.

In addition to the culinary delights, a Honey Baked Ham gathering around good foods has a unique way of uniting people, memorable and meaningful occasions. It's an opportunity for friends, family and neighbors to come together, savor delicious food and contribute to a worthy cause. With Honey Baked Ham's quality and reputation, you can be confident that your meal will be a flavorful success, bringing people closer while making a positive impact.

The SC Association of Guide dog Users invites you to go to Honey Baked Ham <https://www.honeybaked.com/fundraising/SCAGDU> to purchase your Honey Baked Ham store gift card!

Your support is greatly appreciated!!!!

The Friends of Rocky Bottom fundraising campaign is now underway and will conclude on December 31, 2023. There are a variety of prizes available for those who contribute in certain amounts. This will assist Rocky Bottom with the winter months when income is low and rentals are non-existent. Individually and as chapters or divisions, please consider what you can give. For more information about this fundraiser, contact Thom Spittle at 803-331-3344 or via e-mail at nfbsc.lab.4 at gmail.com<mailto:nfbsc.lab.4 at gmail.com> for additional information.

As you are planning your Christmas parties, please reach out to me if you wish a board member to be present. I will attend as I am able but cannot easily make all of them. However, other board members are available to attend and bring greetings and representation from the state board.

The Annual Statewide Seminar will take place on January 6, 2024 at the Federation Center of the Blind beginning at 10:00 a.m. and concluding no later than 4:00 p.m. This is our mid-year NFB of SC meeting and we want as many members as possible to join us. Last year, we had approximately 125 members present and a great time of learning took place. Chapter presidents should contact David Houck via e-mail at nfbsc at sc.rr.com<mailto:nfbsc at sc.rr.com> or via telephone at 803-254-3777 and let him know how many plan to come from your chapter to assist with food planning.

Things to Remember

  *   Friends of Rocky Bottom Fundraiser
  *   SCAGDU Fundraiser
  *   State Dues
  *   Chapter Elections
  *   Statewide Seminar on January 6, 2024

Here is David Houck's Federation Facing Fact.

The Blind Who Lead the Blind will provide background information on each board member over the next fifteen Positive Notes. We continue with Roger Web, At Large Board Member 4 of the NFB of SC Board of Directors this week.

Roger Webb was born to Jack and Luciana Webb in Atlanta Georgia at Fort McPhearson Army Base Hospital, while his father was serving the United States Army. Mr. Webb moved to Spartanburg in 1977 and grew up in a small town called Boiling Springs.

Mr. Webb received his educational and vocational training in Spartanburg County. While attending high school he was introduced to some local Firemen within his community. Mr. Webb joined the local fire department in the 10th grade as a junior fireman. Once he reached the age of 18, he was able to pursue his training in firefighting where he rose to the level of an advanced firefighter level 3 and continued with becoming an instructor with his local department and the South Carolina Fire Academy. He also completed training as an Emergency Medical Technician. Mr. Webb continued this as a part-time paid and volunteer Firefighter/ EMT for 21 years.

In 1990 Mr. Webb was offered an opportunity to enter an apprenticeship within the automotive industry specializing in CNC, Robotics and advanced welding where he completed within 5 years with many certifications. He was then offered an opportunity to move into the Supply Chain Management field where he remained for 27 years before losing his sight in 2017.

In 2019 he was introduced to the South Carolina Commission for the Blind.  Mr. Webb spent four years completing his training in Adjustment to Blindness, Assistive technology, O&M and Business Enterprise Program. Mr. Webb joined the NFB in 2020 with affiliation within the Spartanburg and At Large Chapters where he previously served as Vice President and 2nd vice president and is currently the Treasurer of the Spartanburg Chapter.

In his spare time, he wishes to continue to strive in advocacy for the blind, cooking, traveling, music, loves spending time with his grandchildren, enjoying great food and anything outdoors.

Marty

Marty R. McKenzie, President
National Federation of the Blind of South Carolina
119 S. Kilbourne Road
Columbia, SC 29205
Phone: 803-254-3777
Mobile: 843-939-8091