[NFBofSC] Positive Note 1949

Marty McKenzie marty2music at outlook.com
Mon Dec 18 13:45:50 UTC 2023

December 18, 2023
Memo To:  Executive Officers, Board Members, Chapter & Division Presidents & Others
From:  Marty R. McKenzie, President
Positive Note 1949
843-939-8091  marty2music at outlook.com

Dear Federation Family,

This Positive Note comes to you on the final week before Christmas and the last week of possible holiday parties for chapters of the NFB of SC. Many wonderful parties have happened this holiday season, and you will hear about a few more of them during this week's Positive Note.

>From Sonia Smith, SCPOBC Leader
I had the opportunity to participate as a keynote speaker at the NFB of SC Sumter Gala 50th Anniversary last night and I would like to share how impactful the event was to my family. The best way to describe it is nothing short of magical and amazing. My family enjoyed the food, comedy, music, great door prizes, and the warm, inviting environment. I was inspired by the leadership Ms. Canty showed last night. She has the memory of an elephant!!! It was important that my daughter, Alana, witness blind leadership and influence so she can see the possibilities and the abilities of her community. It is an experience that my family and I will never forget and it was an absolute honor to contribute to blind awareness.

First Vice president Lenora Robertson and two of her members attended the Chesterfield County Chapter of the NFB of SC Christmas party where approximately 10 chapter members were present for the festivities. Lenora brought information regarding the upcoming Statewide Seminar and the Washington Seminar. She has already been invited back in March to share information from the Washington Seminar with chapter members.

The Clarendon County Chapter of the NFB of SC held its annual Christmas party on Saturday, December 16, 2023. Mount Zero Missionary Baptist Church hosted the chapter for this event and it was the best Christmas party for us since before the pandemic. Almost all chapter members were present along with Rev. Jackson and Rev. Rice among others from the church. There were at least three potential new blind members present and a great time of food, fellowship, laughter and fun was had by all. At the end, we gathered in their beautiful sanctuary and sang Christmas carols. The participants made requests as Sarah Massengale and Malinda Ham stood and led the group. The Clarendon County Chapter extends its deep appreciation to this church for opening their doors to us.

>From Steve Cook
The SC Association of Guide Dog Users (SCAGDU) is having a Honey Baked Ham fundraiser that promises to be a delectable and heartwarming experience for all participants. The savory allure of Honey Baked Ham's signature dishes is sure to draw you in for the wonderful flavors! The centerpiece of the fundraiser is, of course, their mouthwatering, slow-roasted ham, glazed to perfection with their unique blend of honey and spices. Whether it's served in slices, sandwiches, or as part of a wholesome meal, the unmistakable flavor of Honey Baked Ham is a crowd-pleaser that brings people together for a common cause. To complement the main attraction, a delightful array of sides, desserts, and beverages, all carefully selected from the Honey Baked Ham menu, will create an unforgettable dining experience.

In addition to the culinary delights, a Honey Baked Ham gathering around good foods has a unique way of uniting people, memorable and meaningful occasions. It's an opportunity for friends, family and neighbors to come together, savor delicious food and contribute to a worthy cause. With Honey Baked Ham's quality and reputation, you can be confident that your meal will be a flavorful success, bringing people closer while making a positive impact.

The SC Association of Guide dog Users invites you to go to Honey Baked Ham <https://www.honeybaked.com/fundraising/SCAGDU> to purchase your Honey Baked Ham store gift card!

Your support is greatly appreciated!!!!

The Friends of Rocky Bottom fundraising campaign is now underway and will conclude on December 31, 2023. There are a variety of prizes available for those who contribute in certain amounts. This will assist Rocky Bottom with the winter months when income is low and rentals are non-existent. Individually and as chapters or divisions, please consider what you can give. For more information about this fundraiser, contact Thom Spittle at 803-331-3344 or via e-mail at nfbsc.lab.4 at gmail.com<mailto:nfbsc.lab.4 at gmail.com> for additional information.

If anyone has outstanding pledges from the State Convention Banquet Fundraiser, please take care of these by December 31, 2023. You can mail a check to NFB of SC, 119 S. Kilbourne Road, Columbia, SC 29205 or by using the donate link on the www.nfbofsc.org<http://www.nfbofsc.org> website.

The Annual Statewide Seminar will take place on January 6, 2024 at the Federation Center of the Blind beginning at 10:00 a.m. and concluding no later than 4:00 p.m. This is our mid-year NFB of SC meeting and we want as many members as possible to join us. Last year, we had approximately 125 members present and a great time of learning took place. Chapter presidents should contact David Houck via e-mail at nfbsc at sc.rr.com<mailto:nfbsc at sc.rr.com> or via telephone at 803-254-3777 by December 29, 2023 and let him know how many plan to come from your chapter to assist with food planning. If anyone wants a salad rather than soup, please contact David Houck by December 20, 2023 and provide this information.

Things to Remember

  *   Friends of Rocky Bottom Fundraiser
  *   SCAGDU Fundraiser
  *   State Dues
  *   Chapter Elections
  *   Statewide Seminar on January 6, 2024

Here is David Houck's Federation Facing Fact.

This week, the Blind Who Lead the Blind will provide background information on Isaiah Nelson, former state board member and current president of the Columbia Chapter of the NFB of SC.

Isaiah "Ike" Nelson  was born in Georgetown, SC. He has seven brothers and three sisters.  Ike attended SCSDB beginning in 1969 and completed his education in 1975.

>From 1975 to 1988, Ike worked with the Coca-Cola Bottling Company in Spartanburg and at night for the SC School for the Deaf and the Blind. After 1988, he  worked a year at McDonald's in Columbia, and then received on-the-job training in the Business Enterprise Program of the SC Commission for the Blind. Ike has been a vending facility operator in the Columbia Judicial Center located on Main Street, and although retired, he often assists other vendors where he is needed.

Ike has held and continues to serve in several different positions in the Federation. He has served and still serves as President of the Columbia Chapter and has previously served as both First and Second Vice President of the chapter. Ike is a member of the Board of Trustees of the Federation Center. Additionally, he served for eight years as President of the SC Blind Alumni Association and as President Emeritus for another two years. He has been a member of the NFB of SC for 31 years (only missing two meetings) which includes attending national as well as state conventions.
Ike is in charge of preparing the monthly meals for the Columbia Chapter. Asked why he joined the Federation, he replied that he observed the spirit and togetherness of Federation members which impressed him. He states that he learned very early that the NFB of SC has a lot of influence.

Marty

Marty R. McKenzie, President
National Federation of the Blind of South Carolina
119 S. Kilbourne Road
Columbia, SC 29205
Phone: 803-254-3777
Mobile: 843-939-8091