[NFBofSC] Sad News from South Carolina

William Diggs parnelldiggs at icloud.com
Sun Feb 12 18:46:04 UTC 2023

LeVern was a dedicated member of the Federation. He became blind around the age of 60 (after a long life as a sighted person), and when blindness came, LeVern was not expecting it. He considered taking his own life, sitting on his bed with his gun for several hours one afternoon. But fortunately for us, he decided to live. LeVern often spent hours on the phone talking with and counseling people who were newly blind.

As to his delicious barbecue, I once asked him to prepare it for a legislative reception. It made quite an impression when the senators and house members in Columbia realized that the BBQ they were enjoying was made by a blind man.

LeVern's daughter, Valerie, was kind enough to drive for me beginning in 2005 until I moved to Baltimore in 2015.

Our prayers go out to Valerie and LeVern's wife Jeri, and to the rest of his family, and large network of friends

Parnell Diggs
Sent from my iPhone