[NFBofSC] Annual Vision Summit

Marty McKenzie marty2music at outlook.com
Fri Feb 17 01:29:31 UTC 2023

Good Evening Federationist,

Attached is the registration information for the 23rd Annual Vision Summit. The NFB of SC has a rich history and this is part of our many accomplishments. The SC Vision Education Partnership was created out of a need to preserve our teacher preparation program for teachers of the blind and visually impaired. In 1999, the University of South Carolina Columbia campus decided that they no longer wanted to host this important program. Donald C. Capps was then the President of the NFB of SC and a member of the SC School for the Deaf and the Blind's Board of Directors. Dr. Sheila S. Breitweiser was SCSDB's President. The first four partners were the University of South Carolina Upstate, the SC School for the Deaf and the Blind, the SC Department of Education and the NFB of SC (not in that order). Over the next two years, Mr. Capps, Dr. Breitweiser, Ms. Susan DuRant, and leaders at the University of South Carolina Upstate worked with members of the general assembly and others to facilitate  moving the program from Columbia to Spartanburg. Mr. Capps was awarded an honorary Doctorate of Letters during this era.

Today, Dr. Tina Herzberg leads the Teacher Preparation Program for Teachers of the Blind and Visually Impaired at USC Upstate and it is a highly successful program. This year, we will focus on digital literacy for our young blind students and Robbin Clark from the Utah Schools for the Deaf and the Blind will present. Consider joining us for this exciting day!

My Best,

Marty