[NFBofSC] Positive Note 1906

Marty McKenzie marty2music at outlook.com
Mon Feb 20 17:28:14 UTC 2023

February 20, 2023
Memo To:  Executive Officers, Board Members, Chapter & Division Presidents & Others
From:  Marty R. McKenzie, President
Positive Note 1906
843-939-8091  marty2music at outlook.com

Dear Federation Family,

The Legislative Breakfast will take place on Thursday, February 23, 2023 from 8:00 to10:00 a.m. This is an important event for the NFB of SC because we engage with our representatives and senators as well as their staffers regarding issues that are important to us. Even in years when we are not sponsoring a certain piece of legislation or opposing one that is detrimental to the well-being of blind people, it is important that we reinforce those relationships so that they know who we are when we call upon them in the future. In order to control our futures, we must take charge regarding items in the general assembly which impact us directly. As shared by President Mark Riccobono, at the great gathering in, using the words of our first President, Jacobus Tenbroek, "As individuals we are scattered, ineffective, and inarticulate and are subject to oppression... Collectively, we are the masters of our own future and the successful guardians of our own common interest." These are words of wisdom for us to live by as Federationists.

The Leadership Seminar will take place on March 25, 2023 at the Federation Center of the Blind beginning at 10:00 a.m. and concluding no later than 3:00 p.m. This event is open to chapter and division presidents as well as state board members. Please let David Houck know by March 20, 2023 if you plan to attend. There will be important leadership training and information shared with the group at this meeting.

Mr. Levern Wilson's viewing will take place on Friday, February 24, 2023 from 4:00 to 6:00 p.m. at the Ocean View Funeral Home located at 107 Grainger Road, Conway, SC  29527. The Home Going service will take place on Saturday, February 25, 2023 at Friendship Baptist Church at 12:00 noon. The church is located at 1111 Grainger Road, Conway, SC 29527.

Important Things to Remember:

  *   Rocky Bottom ticket sales
  *   Annual Vision Summit
  *   Lions Vision Services Fishing trip
  *   Houston ticket sales

If you need additional information about any of the items above, please contact David Houck at the Federation Center at 803-254-3777. You can also contact me as shown above.

Here is David Houck's Federation fun fact for this week! Let's continue to read and learn together about our rich history in South Carolina.

Leaders are found everywhere and one blind great leader and a great lady is Debra Canty. Born in Sumter, Debra continues to live in the area. Debra has two sons with one of them having served in Iraq and we appreciate his service to our country. Debra has one sister and one brother.

It was in the year 2000 that Debra was introduced to the Federation.  One year later in 2001 Debra was elected President of the Sumter Chapter and continues to serve in that office. She has served on the NFB of SC Board of Directors for quite some time and no doubt she will continue to serve on the state level for a long time because of her strong leadership and popularity.

Debra is proud to have attended many state conventions and several national conventions. "Localitis," which is a condition describing members who limit their service to their local chapter - Debra does not suffer from this unfortunate condition. She has attended annual Washington Seminars, clearly demonstrating her understanding of the different Federation programs requiring the participation of dedicated leaders. At our many Legislator Appreciation Luncheon/Breakfasts, Debra was observed in the midst of legislators, further demonstrating her full understanding of what the federation is all about.

Debra enjoyed a successful career, serving 20 years working at the Exide Battery Plant. Recognizing the need for funding, Debra has provided the leadership for several annual Christmas programs for some 300 local citizens to make the event financially successful. Debra has another fundraiser, a barbecue with as many as 700 participants. Asked how she manages to get hundreds of people to the Christmas function and the May barbecue, she stated she sends out many letters, makes many telephone calls and advertises on local radio. This is an astonishing initiative which should make all of us proud of this talented lady.

If all this is not enough service, the annual Sweetheart Ball seems to grow more and more every year with the 2023 February 11 Sweetheart Ball having around 80 in attendance with a wide variety of activities and volunteers helping out everywhere! She also serves on the Federation Center Board of Trustees and the Rocky Bottom Board of Directors.