[NFBofSC] Call to Action: Opinions Wanted Regarding Communities of Faith Division

Justin Williams justin.williams2 at gmail.com
Wed Feb 22 16:34:20 UTC 2023

Will it be recorded?

Justin

From: NFBofSC [mailto:nfbofsc-bounces at nfbnet.org] On Behalf Of Elizabeth Rouse via NFBofSC
Sent: Wednesday, February 22, 2023 11:18 AM
To: NFB of South Carolina Mailing List <nfbofsc at nfbnet.org>
Cc: Elizabeth Rouse <elizabethrouse.nfb at gmail.com>
Subject: Re: [NFBofSC] Call to Action: Opinions Wanted Regarding Communities of Faith Division

Good morning,

Please remember that you are welcome at tonight's meeting, beginning at 6 PM.

Thank you,

Elizabeth

On Wed, Feb 15, 2023 at 12:00 PM Elizabeth Rouse <elizabethrouse.nfb at gmail.com <mailto:elizabethrouse.nfb at gmail.com> > wrote:

Dear Federation family,

Please note that the following message is conveyed as the opinion of a group of affiliate members who got together to have a discussion when a topic arose. These words are a culmination of ideas belonging to this group of both division members and supporters. This message does not necessarily communicate the thoughts and/or feelings of the Communities of Faith Division.

As many of you know, the NFB of South Carolina in Communities of Faith Division was formed in January of 2022.  The purpose of the division, in short, is to share information and knowledge about all faiths, including our own, and to learn by sharing our thoughts in a safe space.    This purpose, as evident in the attached Constitution, has never been to sway or recruit people to other faiths, rather to create an open environment where we can ask questions of each other in an effort to increase our knowledge surrounding diversity, equity, and inclusion.  Through understanding comes acceptance after all.

Sadly, there have been mistruths circulated that suggest reasons other than those stated above are why this division was created.  Let’s face it.  The vast majority of South Carolina is of Christian faith.  Sometimes it can be threatening to hear different ideas than those we are used to or most comfortable with.  Open discussions give us a chance to realize how similar we truly are.  Many of us in this division have enjoyed learning about topics such as the NFB Judaism Group, our division members’ personal faith journeys, our experiences in our faith communities as blind worshipers, etc.  We are interested in building this division to be a great resource for all members and to gain respect for each person’s faith and their faith choices; however, we find it immensely discouraging to hear that some members of our affiliate do not seem to be willing to give our attempt at educating and learning from one another a chance.

Therefore, we would like for anyone who has questions or concerns about the division as it currently exists to join us for our next meeting on February 22, 2023 at 6:00 p.m. (Zoom info below.) We would much rather have affiliate members join us to ask questions and get clarification than to disparage the division without first attending a meeting to see for yourself what we are all about.

Please consider yourself invited to share your thoughts and ideas, regardless of division membership status.

NFB of SC Zoom

https://us02web.zoom.us/j/8032543777?pwd=QTVQd2RzN3l6QnNmZ0FmSnp6NG8vQT09

Meeting ID: 803 254 3777

Passcode: 124578

One tap mobile

+19292056099,,8032543777# US (New York)

+13017158592,,8032543777# US (Germantown)

Dial by your location

        +1 929 205 6099 US (New York)

Sincerely,

Anna Price

David Bundy

Elizabeth Rouse

Janice Bright

Kristopher Crawley

Melinda Jones

Shannon Cook

Elizabeth Rouse
She/her/hers
Treasurer | National Association of Blind Students (NABS)
Co-Chair | NABS Fundraising Committee
Board Member | Performing Arts Division
Secretary/Treasurer | NFB of SC Communities of Faith Division
Elizabethrouse.nfb at gmail.com <mailto:Elizabethrouse.nfb at gmail.com>
(563) 210-1854
“If you can see yourself as an artist, and you can see that your life is your own creation, then why not create the most beautiful story for yourself?” - Miguel Ruiz