[NFBofSC] Positive Note 1899

Marty McKenzie marty2music at outlook.com
Mon Jan 2 12:00:41 UTC 2023

January 2, 2023
Memo To:  Executive Officers, Board Members, Chapter & Division Presidents & Others
From:  Marty R. McKenzie, President
Positive Note 1899
843-939-8091  marty2music at outlook.com

Dear Federation Family,

Happy new year! It is hard to believe that 2023 is here, and the Federation is entering the new year with the rest of the world. As we enter 2023, let us  consider how we can make the Federation stronger and larger. Can each of us make a small commitment to the Federation that is new and different? It is easier to master one small item rather than large plans and commitments. If we all work together, the results will be unbelievable at the end of 2023!

The first Presidential Release of the new year will take place on Wednesday, January 4, 2023 at 8:00 p.m. This event can be accessed in several ways including Zoom, Alexa using the podcast command and on other platforms. If you want to tune in and need assistance, please reach out to me, and someone will assist you.

The Statewide Seminar will take place on Saturday, January 7, 2023 at the Federation Center of the Blind, beginning at 10:00 a.m. and concluding no later than 4:00 p.m. At least 67 individuals have confirmed in-person attendance, and this number will likely rise after we get access to Friday's confirmations. There will also be a streaming option via Zoom so that as much information as possible can be shared with those who are unable to attend in-person. We are only able to send information out via the stream and cannot address questions and comments.

There will be an auction throughout the day on January 7 , 2023. All proceeds will benefit Rocky Bottom Retreat and Conference Center of the Blind. Please bring items valued at $25 or more. Homemade cakes, pies and cookies are always a huge success! Let the bidding wars begin!

Here is David Houck's Federation fun fact for this week! Let's continue to read and learn together about our rich history in South Carolina.

The Federation Center of the Blind came about in the late 1950's when Donald Capps realized that the blind needed a place of their own to meet. He helped to design the original layout of the Center, and got the property from the City of Columbia which was then an old baseball field.

Donald Capps worked with business leaders to develop a fundraising campaign and even got the roofing materials donated. The dedication took place on October 15, 1961, which proved to be a big event. A Board of Trustees was established consisting of blind persons to make decisions and set policy for the Federation Center. An Advisory Board of city leaders was also established to lend their advice and expertise to the Board of Trustees.

In 1970, because of ever growing membership and programs, another fundraising campaign took place to double the Center's original size. This took place once more in 1979, tripling the Center's original size. Because pick-ups and drop offs on South Kilbourne Road were hazardous, in 1981, a parking facility was built behind the Center. With the addition of property in 1988, parking was doubled. There always were renovations of the interior but about five years ago when Ed Bible became board chairman, a massive renovation has taken place both in structure and technology. All of these things were accomplished without borrowing a dime. Now Successful Transitions is back at the Federation Center and programs for the blind are ever expanding.