[NFBofSC] Positive Note 1901

Marty McKenzie marty2music at outlook.com
Mon Jan 16 12:00:18 UTC 2023

January 16, 2023
Memo To:  Executive Officers, Board Members, Chapter & Division Presidents & Others
From:  Marty R. McKenzie, President
Positive Note 1901
843-939-8091  marty2music at outlook.com

Dear Federation Family,

Today, the United States celebrates the Martin Luther King, Jr. holiday, commemorating one of the greatest civil rights leaders in our Nation’s history. Dr. King was a peaceful man who strongly opposed violence. He led the civil rights movement, which resulted in legislation opening many doors for individuals who were oppressed. Change takes time, but significant progress has been made. We are proud of our SC Association of Black Leaders and the work they will do among the organized blind in our state.

The National Federation of the Blind is a civil rights organization seeking to protect the rights of all who are blind. Founded in 1940, the organization has undergone significant changes over the past 83 years, and many more opportunities exist for blind people. However, there is still much work to do, and we, as the NFB, are more than equal to the challenge. Let’s go build the National Federation of the Blind!

The Legislative and Advocacy committee leaders are finalizing plans for the Washington Seminar in late January. More than ten members of the NFB of SC will travel to Washington, DC to meet with South Carolina representatives and senators to educate them on the three bills the NFB is supporting this year. For more information about Washington Seminar and our legislative initiatives, please visit www.nfb.org/washington-seminar<http://www.nfb.org/washington-seminar>.