[NFBofSC] Positive Note 1925

Marty McKenzie marty2music at outlook.com
Tue Jul 4 02:41:05 UTC 2023

July 3, 2023
Memo To:  Executive Officers, Board Members, Chapter & Division Presidents & Others
From:  Marty R. McKenzie, President
Positive Note 1925
843-939-8091  marty2music at outlook.com

Dear Federation Family,

This is the week of July 4, 2023 which is Independence Day for the United States of America. As American citizens, we enjoy a level of freedom unlike any other nation in the world! We are blessed to live in such a great country and participating in July 4th festivities is a way that we celebrate our great nation. Take a few moments and reflect upon our history and then think of the freedom that blind people enjoy today. While there is much work to be done in our movement, we have come very far in a relatively short period of time. Happy July 4th to all of you!

The South Carolina delegation has arrived in Houston and the festivities have begun! The hotel is a wonderful facility and the sound of tapping white canes can be heard throughout the lobby and meeting spaces as Federationists make their way to a variety of meetings and seminars. As of close of registration on July 2, 2023, there are 2,493 in-person attendees and 1,090 virtual participants in this year's convention. These numbers will definitely increase as the week goes on.

The exhibit hall is an exciting place as always! Computers for the Blind is running a special on laptops with either JAWS or Fusion on them through August. The cost of these computers is $50, and attendees can leave the convention with them in hand.  All you need to do to receive one of these computers is fill out an application and pay the $50 charge. Please spread the word!

Several vendors are running specials at convention. Vispero is offering a 20% discount on their home and standard annual licenses for JAWS and Fusion.  Attendees should take advantage of this opportunity.

Plans for the 2024 convention are already underway. It was announced that we will return to Florida next year to the beautiful Rosen Shingle Creek Resort July 3-8, 2024. Add this special date to your calendars!

Sponsorship letters were sent out on the listserv some time ago. Please use these to seek sponsors for the upcoming 2023 NFB of SC State Convention. If you need an electronic copy, please reach out to David Houck or me and I will be happy to assist you. Please contact David Houck at the Federation Center if you need printed copies.

Palmetto Convention Grants are back! There are three Palmetto Convention Grants being awarded valued at $200 each. The application deadline is 11:59 p.m. on July 15, 2023. Please read the rules and instructions carefully found on the application. Each application must have a letter of recommendation and a personal statement. See the application for full details.

In order to  qualify for a Palmetto Convention Grant, the applicant must be

  *   A dues paying member in good standing
  *   Registered for the NFB of SC State Convention
  *   Registered to stay at Embassy Suites

*        A first-time NFB of SC Convention attendee

Please contact Shannon Cook at 803-605-4250 or via e-mail at coffeequeensc1 at sc.rr.com for more information or assistance with your application.

Door prizes are always a fun part of the State Convention! This year, First Vice President, Lenora Robertson will serve as door prize chair and Second District Board Member, Andrew Adams, will assist her. Please gather your door prizes and bring them to the convention or drop them off or mail them to the Federation Center. When gathering door prizes, please keep the following in mind:

  *   Door prizes must be valued at a minimum of $10
  *   Cash is acceptable
  *   Gift cards
  *   New gifts in their original packaging
  *   If anyone wants to contribute a large door prize either money or a hotel stay, dinner out, etc. that is also very welcome

Let's have an abundance of door prizes to share with convention attendees this year!

The Embassy Suites is now accepting reservations for the NFB of SC State Convention, which will take place August 18-20, 2023. Rooms can be booked at $112 plus tax and any applicable fees for singles, doubles, triples and quads for August 17- 20, 2023. You may call the Embassy Suites at 803-252-8700. Members are not being charged the first night's room; instead, a hold is placed on your card until check-in. The Thursday night room block has been increased and we are assured that we can get additional rooms if needed.

Registration for the NFB of SC State Convention is now live!  The cost is $85 for adults, $55 for students and $25 for children under eighteen. These prices all increase after August 4, 2023. Parents must register all children under 18 years old at the cost of $25 per person.  Please visit www.nfbofsc.org<http://www.nfbofsc.org> to register online. If you need assistance submitting the online form, please contact me and someone will assist you. We are working on a print form for those who may need it.

Important Things to Remember:

*        Palmetto Convention Grant applications are due by July 15, 2023

*        State Convention hotel reservation deadline is July 27, 2023

*        State Convention early registration deadline is August 4, 2023

*        Bring your door prizes

*        Convention sponsorships

If you need additional information about any of the items above, please contact David Houck at the Federation Center at 803-254-3777. You can also contact me as shown above.

Here is David Houck's Federation Fun Fact for this week! Let's continue to read and learn together about our rich history in South Carolina.

During July we will delve into the various NFB of SC Awards which have been given out during state conventions. The Donald C. Capps Award recipient receives a plaque and a $100 bill at the state convention. This award is given to an NFB of SC member who demonstrates doing their fair share and then some. Historically it was given to a blind member until recently when any NFB of SC member, blind or sighted, can be eligible. The nominations come from the NFB of SC membership which mails in their nominations to the state office and the Award Committee makes the decision. David Houck is currently the committee chairman. One of the oldest awards, the Donald C. Capps Award's first recipient was Gayle Martin in 1971. Others you may recognize include MacDonald (and Reba) Hancock, Dr. Fred L. Crawford, Jimmie Smith, Bob Bell, Jerry Whittle, Edsel (and Irene) Doyle, Dorothy Barksdale, Sheila Compton, Frank (and Gail) Coppel, Marty McKenzie, Isaiah Nelson, Parnell Diggs, Ed Bible, Shelley Coppel, Valerie Warrington, JW Smith, Steve Cook and Thom Spittle to name a few. Who will be the 2023 recipient at the state convention this year?

Marty

Marty R. McKenzie, President
National Federation of the Blind of South Carolina
119 S. Kilbourne Road
Columbia, SC 29205
Phone: 803-254-3777
Mobile: 843-939-8091