[NFBofSC] Positive Note 1926

Marty McKenzie marty2music at outlook.com
Mon Jul 10 11:00:27 UTC 2023

July 10, 2023
Memo To:  Executive Officers, Board Members, Chapter & Division Presidents & Others
From:  Marty R. McKenzie, President
Positive Note 1926
843-939-8091  marty2music at outlook.com

Dear Federation Family,

Fifty-three NFB of SC members are back from the National Convention held in Houston, Texas and we are recharged for the next year! There were many opportunities to learn and grow during this special time and three Kenneth Jernigan Scholarship winners did just that.  The Rookie Round-Up, seminars around various topics and presentations were inspiring. In the Presidential Report, President Riccobono gave an update on Federation activities during the past year with emphasis on what is "deep in the heart of the Federation".

Convention attendees heard from the CEO of Aira and the New Vice President of Blindness Initiatives, Everett Bacon. Dr. Craig Meador from the American Printing House for the Blind and Bruce Miles, CEO Of HumanWare, presented on the work they are doing with the hardware and software for the Monarch, a multi-line tactile braille and graphics display. The Federation is a full partner in this venture. Presentations around artificial intelligence and information from Uber was also presented to the convention. We cannot talk about them all here, but it was a great 83rd national convention!

As always, the banquet was a particular highlight of the National Convention.  Many promising young blind students were awarded scholarships to help them in the next step of their educational journeys, and educators and employers whose work has made a difference to the Blind on a national scale were also honored.  President Riccobono spoke on the importance of diversity and of centering the work of those serving the blind with the lived experiences of blind people.  There was certainly a great deal of passion and energy in the room for this important event!

Computers for the Blind is running a special on laptops with either JAWS or Fusion on them through August. The cost of these computers is $50.  All you need to do to receive one of these computers is fill out an application, mention the NFB National Convention and pay the $50 charge. Please spread the word!

As we near the NFB of SC state convention, let's work hard to offset the cost by obtaining sponsors to defray the cost. If you need an electronic copy of the sponsorship letter, please reach out to David Houck or me and we will be happy to assist you. Please contact David Houck at the Federation Center if you need printed copies.

There are three Palmetto Convention Grants being awarded valued at $200 each. The application deadline is 11:59 p.m. on July 15, 2023, which is Saturday. Please read the rules and instructions carefully found on the application. Each application must have a letter of recommendation and a personal statement. See the application for full details.

In order to  qualify for a Palmetto Convention Grant, the applicant must be

  *   A dues paying member in good standing
  *   Registered for the NFB of SC State Convention
  *   Registered to stay at Embassy Suites

*        A first-time NFB of SC Convention attendee

Please contact Shannon Cook at 803-605-4250 or via e-mail at coffeequeensc1 at sc.rr.com for more information or assistance with your application.

Door prizes are always a fun part of the State Convention! This year, First Vice President, Lenora Robertson will serve as door prize chair and Second District Board Member, Andrew Adams, will assist her. Please gather your door prizes and bring them to the convention or drop them off or mail them to the Federation Center. When gathering door prizes, please keep the following in mind:

  *   Door prizes must be valued at a minimum of $10
  *   Cash is acceptable
  *   Gift cards
  *   New gifts in their original packaging
  *   If anyone wants to contribute a large door prize either money or a hotel stay, dinner out, etc. that is also very welcome

Let's have an abundance of door prizes to share with convention attendees this year!

We are now two and one-half weeks away from the NFB of SC Convention cut-off for hotel rooms and the Embassy Suites is now accepting reservations, which will take place August 18-20, 2023. Rooms can be booked at $112 plus tax and any applicable fees for singles, doubles, triples and quads for August 17- 20, 2023. You may call the Embassy Suites at 803-252-8700. Members are not being charged the first night's room; instead, a hold is placed on your card until check-in. The Thursday night room block has been increased and we are assured that we can get additional rooms if needed. It is very important that you make your reservations soon!

Registration for the NFB of SC State Convention is now live!  The cost is $85 for adults, $55 for students and $25 for children under eighteen. These prices all increase after August 4, 2023. Parents must register all children under 18 years old at the cost of $25 per person.  Please visit www.nfbofsc.org<http://www.nfbofsc.org> to register online. If you need assistance submitting the online form, please contact me and someone will assist you.

Important Things to Remember:

*        Palmetto Convention Grant applications are due by July 15, 2023

*        State Convention hotel reservation deadline is July 27, 2023

*        State Convention early registration deadline is August 4, 2023

*        Bring your door prizes

*        Convention sponsorships

If you need additional information about any of the items above, please contact David Houck at the Federation Center at 803-254-3777. You can also contact me as shown above.

Here is David Houck's Federation Fun Fact for this week! Let's continue to read and learn together about our rich history in South Carolina.

The Associate Member of the Year Award was presented to a sighted NFB of SC member who goes that extra mile in many aspects of the Federation. It too was nominated by NFB of SC members and the recipient did receive a plaque. The first recipient was Betty Capps in 1978. The award was stopped in 2019 so that there would be one award for either a blind or sighted member to be eligible for the Donald C. Capps Award. Some recipients you may recognize include Doris Bell, M. B. "Red" Shaw, Jenny Smith, Alma Lee Doyle, Don Robertson, Darlene Houck, Vicki Trammell, Julie Bible, Ora Bell Smith and Barry Chavis to name a few. Our sighted members make it possible for us to have transportation, help with chapter, NFB of SC, RBRCCB and NFB efforts, etc. We can take our hats off to these and many others for their work on our behalf.

Marty

Marty R. McKenzie, President
National Federation of the Blind of South Carolina
119 S. Kilbourne Road
Columbia, SC 29205
Phone: 803-254-3777
Mobile: 843-939-8091