[NFBofSC] Positive Note 1927

Marty McKenzie marty2music at outlook.com
Mon Jul 17 11:00:47 UTC 2023

July 17, 2023
Memo To:  Executive Officers, Board Members, Chapter & Division Presidents & Others
From:  Marty R. McKenzie, President
Positive Note 1927
843-939-8091  marty2music at outlook.com

Dear Federation Family,

On Friday morning, I sent out 18 sponsorship letters for state convention and plan to send many more in the coming week.  Our sponsors are just as essential to the convention as members of the Federation Family as they help to defray the cost from all of us. As President, I mentioned a goal of $15,000 to the board, and the first sponsorship was obtained by the Rock Hill Chapter at the White Cane level. It is very important that we leverage the sponsorship letters by sending them to businesses and individuals with whom we do business. Please consider your contacts and what you can do to assist with this effort. The sponsorship letter is posted to the NFB of SC listserv. If you need printed copies, please contact David Houck at 803-254-3777.

As we consider sponsors and the banquet fundraiser, I want to provide some clarification regarding the interaction of these two efforts. Sponsors are individuals, businesses, foundations and other entities outside of the Federation. These sponsors help us with our work and our cause. The banquet fundraiser leverages funds from inside of our organization and donations come from those who are present. It is a way for the organization to demonstrate that we, as blind people, put our money where our mouth is and work to fund our movement.

Door prizes are always a fun part of the State Convention! This year, First Vice President, Lenora Robertson will serve as door prize chair and Second District Board Member, Andrew Adams, will assist her. Please gather your door prizes and bring them to the convention or drop them off or mail them to the Federation Center. When gathering door prizes, please keep the following in mind:

  *   Door prizes must be valued at a minimum of $10
  *   Cash is acceptable
  *   Gift cards
  *   New gifts in their original packaging
  *   If anyone wants to contribute a large door prize either money or a hotel stay, dinner out, etc. that is also very welcome

Let's have an abundance of door prizes to share with convention attendees this year!

We are now one and one-half weeks away from the NFB of SC Convention cut-off for hotel rooms and the Embassy Suites is now accepting reservations. Rooms can be booked at $112 plus tax and any applicable fees for singles, doubles, triples and quads for August 17- 20, 2023. You may call the Embassy Suites at 803-252-8700. Members are not being charged the first night's room; instead, a hold is placed on your card until check-in. The Thursday night and Friday night room blocks have been increased and we are assured that we can get additional rooms if needed. It is very important that you make your reservations soon!

Registration for the NFB of SC State Convention is now live!  The cost is $85 for adults, $55 for students and $25 for children under eighteen. These prices all increase after August 4, 2023. Parents must register all children under 18 years old at the cost of $25 per person.  Please visit www.nfbofsc.org<http://www.nfbofsc.org> to register online. If you need assistance submitting the online form, please contact me and someone will assist you.

Computers for the Blind is running a special on laptops with either JAWS or Fusion on them through August. The cost of these computers is $50.  All you need to do to receive one of these computers is fill out an application, mention the NFB National Convention and pay the $50 charge. Please spread the word!

Important Things to Remember:

*        State Convention hotel reservation deadline is July 27, 2023

*        State Convention early registration deadline is August 4, 2023

*        Bring your door prizes

*        Convention sponsorships

If you need additional information about any of the items above, please contact David Houck at the Federation Center at 803-254-3777. You can also contact me as shown above.

Here is David Houck's Federation Fun Fact for this week! Let's continue to read and learn together about our rich history in South Carolina.

The Employer of the Year Award began in 1982 with the purpose of recognizing businesses and agencies that employ the blind. The first recipient was Clemson University. Others include The State Library Talking Book Services, SC Commission for the Blind,  SC School for the Deaf and the Blind, Time Warner Cable, Blue Cross Blue Shield of SC, Tele Tech, the American Red Cross, Wells Fargo, Flagstar, APAC, TVI and SCE&G to name a few. It is important to recognize those who hire the blind and encourage them to continue doing so.

Marty

Marty R. McKenzie, President
National Federation of the Blind of South Carolina
119 S. Kilbourne Road
Columbia, SC 29205
Phone: 803-254-3777
Mobile: 843-939-8091