[NFBofSC] NFB President’s Notebook - Week of 06/12/2023

Steve Cook cookcafe at sc.rr.com
Tue Jun 13 09:57:40 UTC 2023

Critical Actions:

June Presidential Release Chapter Version Available:

The National Federation of the Blind  <https://nfb.org/resources/publications-and-media/presidential-releases> Presidential Release #528 chapter version is available. Additional formats are also available. Please mark your calendars for the next Presidential Release scheduled for August 1, 2023, at 8:00 p.m., eastern.

Convention:

Convention Ambassadors Needed:

As always, NFB Convention Ambassadors will assist in making the convention a welcoming and empowering experience for all attendees in Houston this July. Ambassadors play important roles in providing access to information at key locations and generally serving as a positive influence during the convention. You know who they are. These are the folks serving as talking signs, among other functions, who assist you to find the door to a session or the escalator. Ambassadors will be asked to take on assignments as coordinated by the Ambassadors Committee and therefore are always integral to the positive flow of every convention.

If you are attending the convention and would like to be a convention Ambassador please contact your Affiliate President as soon as possible to volunteer throughout the week.  There is no limit to the amount of time an ambassador dedicates to helping at the convention.

This way to a great convention!

Independence Market Volunteers at Convention:

Volunteers are what makes the Independence Market operate smoothly at our national convention each year. If you are planning to be in Houston this July and willing to serve as demonstrators, storekeepers, pay-station representatives, and line marshals during the four days the market is open, we’d be pleased to have your name.  Please contact your Affiliate President as soon as possible. The dates for the market are Sunday, July 2, through Wednesday, July 5. We will be open on July 2 and 3 for the entire day and July 4 and 5 during the lunch period only.

News:

Legislative Update:

The House and the Senate are both in session this week and next week, which makes the days leading up to our 2023 National Convention a perfect time to call or email your representative and senators to urge them to cosponsor two of our legislative priorities: the Access Technology Affordability Act and the Medical Device Nonvisual Accessibility Act. The Access Technology Affordability Act (H.R. 3702 in the House and S. 1467 in the Senate) is a $2,000 refundable tax credit that can be used to purchase qualified access technology. The Medical Device Nonvisual Accessibility Act (H.R. 1328) authorizes the FDA to establish a minimum nonvisual access standard for Class II and Class III medical devices with digital interfaces so that blind people can operate them safely and independently. The passage of these two bills will significantly improve economic opportunities and independence for blind Americans. Be sure to call or email your elected officials in Congress and ask them to cosponsor the Access Technology Affordability Act (H.R. 3702/S. 1467) and the Medical Device Nonvisual Accessibility Act (H.R. 1328).

Where the Blind Work "Government Contracting”:

Join the National Federation of the Blind on Thursday, June 15, at 8:00 p.m., eastern, for a panel discussion featuring blind government contract professionals. Where the Blind Work is a webinar series to highlight employment options and experiences that inspire and inform our community that blind and low-vision people are living the lives they want.  <https://nfb.org/civicrm/event/register?id=585&reset=1> Register now for Where the Blind Work webinar.

Request for Information Regarding Automated Workplace Surveillance and Screening Tools:

Has an automated screening tool deemed you ineligible for work based on blindness? Do you have concerns about how your disability will be assessed, tracked, or used by artificial intelligence at work? Then we need your story! The federal government is asking for feedback regarding how automated technologies have affected our ability to get and keep our jobs. Responses will be used to inform new policy, share relevant research data, and influence best practices. Responses are due no later than Thursday, June 29, at 5:00 p.m., eastern. Comments can be entered anonymously and all emails will be merged with the official record. You can  <https://www.regulations.gov/document/OSTP_FRDOC_0001-0004> submit your response on the web or by email at  <mailto:workersurveillance at ostp.eop.gov> workersurveillance at ostp.eop.gov.

 <https://www.whitehouse.gov/ostp/news-updates/2023/05/01/hearing-from-the-american-people-how-are-automated-tools-being-used-to-surveil-monitor-and-manage-workers/> Click here for more information about the project.

NFB EQ for Teachers: A Nonvisual & Accessible Engineering Curriculum:

The National Federation of the Blind has always been an innovator when it comes to education, technology, and access. We believe that STEM learning should be accessible for all, including blind and low-vision youth. As our world is evolving to become more and more digital, we discovered a need to create a version of our popular NFB EQ curriculum that is digitally accessible, free, and publicly available. In other words, an online, Open Educational Resource (OER) that allows educators to access the NFB EQ curriculum remotely—from anywhere. This is a great resource to point teachers to when they get questions about how to make STEM accessible.  <https://nfb.org/programs-services/education/national-center-blind-youth-science/nfb-eq/nfb-eq-teachers> https://nfb.org/programs-services/education/national-center-blind-youth-science/nfb-eq/nfb-eq-teachers

Smart Cities Seminar:

Join the National Federation of the Blind Center of Excellence in Nonvisual Access on Wednesday, June 14, from 1:00-5:00 p.m., eastern, to learn about the work we have done in making cities accessible. We will discuss indoor wayfinding apps, our work with the Maryland Transit Administration, accessible public kiosks, and developments in autonomous vehicles.  <https://u32452178.ct.sendgrid.net/ls/click?upn=mTCu8dGvOkl-2BXqaCK8sZ2XZsIV-2FIHwCJ1wu82RzQMT-2BYPFY1W898jzlXsLk2Gsfbw41qKNhx0tARVD3moGhWWZBAhLojQznE3nv5lRttBnc-3D3bzo_52D9s2nwllmoAQY4zLge-2FCwVj1aI4Be3ffu1hQwXMclhkdRZmVH13-2BfmjCZ4bddoui1logjfl3jVr6usb1oT2cqQN1rdgkyQ2FOw-2FvkqfN-2B4ZkfMlWazTKh9EDKmEyEZfYwbtYlB54IpYzB0kJ93x2Ur8RLjaACuZ1gNiC80wsYm4Y0DTPk4afr4gkVTcSoS6A8e7ArSgtJMOo826RNthA-3D-3D> Register today for this seminar to receive the Zoom link.

Parent Leadership Program:

The National Organization of Parents of Blind Children (NOPBC) is seeking recommendations for our next Parent Leadership Program (PLP) to be held at the 2023 National Convention in Houston. Do you know a parent who shows the commitment and leadership potential to help build the Federation by founding, strengthening, or reviving a parents division in your state? If so, please send the name and contact information to Carol Castello at <mailto:carol.joyce.castellano at gmail.com> carol.joyce.castellano at gmail.com, and she will send that parent an invitation to become a part of the PLP.

To participate in PLP, parents will need to arrive in Houston by Friday, June 30, so that they can attend the NOPBC Seminar on Saturday, July 1, along with special PLP meetings, mentor matches, and other NOPBC and NFB events throughout the week.

We look forward to hearing about potential leaders from your state and will keep you informed as to who accepts the PLP invitation. Thanks so much for your assistance in identifying leaders!

About the PLP: Since 2006, the PLP has been an effective program for building the Federation and spreading Federation philosophy to families across the nation. The PLP empowers parents with critical leadership and advocacy skills to build a strong state division of the NOPBC and work toward our legislative goals through special workshops and training sessions, mentoring, online conferences, and opportunities to meet key Federation leaders and see the Federation in action. Our main events take place at the NFB national convention and the Washington Seminar.

 Give $20 and Aira Matching Gift:

Each year, thousands of Federation members contribute during national convention to various funds that support blind people. In 2023, your generosity is still needed to fund our great programs. When you give $20 or more between May 1 and July 6, 3:00 p.m. central time, you will be entered into the Give $20 Convention Drawing to win the following:

*       Round-trip transportation for two for the 2024 NFB National Convention

*       Hotel at the convention

*       Registration and banquet tickets for two

*       $1,000 in walking-around cash

This drawing will be to support the following funds:

*       Kenneth Jernigan Fund: Funds donated to the Kenneth Jernigan Fund are designated by our board of directors for special projects such as getting first-timers to our national convention. The fund is named for Dr. Jernigan, whose contributions to our movement are incalculable.

*       SUN Fund: These funds are being set aside in the event that they are needed to support the Federation during difficult times.

*       White Cane Fund: These dollars go directly to the general treasury of the Federation.

*       tenBroek Fund: These dollars go to the tenBroek Memorial Fund that owns the property at 200 East Wells in Baltimore for the benefit of blind people.

Each $20 donation is a chance to win! Your name will be placed in the drawing for each increment of $20 you give. Give $100 and you will be entered into the drawing five times.

Aira has generously issued a challenge grant. Aira will match up to $25,000 during our Give $20 campaign.

You must specify a fund in order to be entered into the drawing. You can do this by using our Give $20 online donation form or in the memo if giving by check. Choose one of the following funds: Kenneth Jernigan Fund, SUN Fund, White Cane Fund, or the tenBroek Fund. Your contribution will be counted for the drawing regardless of which fund you designate.

*        <https://nfb.org/civicrm/contribute/transact?reset=1&id=45> Give online now.

*       Give via phone by calling our donation line at 410-659-9314, extension 2430.

*       Send a check to National Federation of the Blind Jernigan Institute, 200 East Wells Street, Baltimore, MD 21230. Be sure to have #Give20 and the fund you are giving to in the memo. If you are not sure, please choose the White Cane Fund as it affords the greatest flexibility.

Note: The drawing is for individuals and is not intended for contributions by divisions, state affiliates, or chapters.

The winner of the drawing will be announced July 6, 2023, at the banquet. Help us share the Federation with others. Thank you for your generosity.

Access and Share Our Publications:

The National Federation of the Blind creates and distributes several publications. These materials inform both our membership and our friends about the true nature of blindness, issues of interest to the blind, NFB news and action items, and the many important stories we share.

*         <https://nfb.org/resources/publications-and-media/braille-monitor> June Braille Monitor

*         <https://nfb.org/resources/publications-and-media/nations-blind-podcast> Nation’s Blind Podcast

*         <https://nfb.org/blog> Voice of the Nation’s Blind Blog

Dates to Keep in Mind:

(all times eastern)

* July 1-6, 2023: National Convention; Houston, Texas

* August 9: Introduction to the Organized Blind Movement, 8:00 p.m.

* September 7 and 10: Chapter Presidents Call, 8:00 p.m. (Blind Equality Achievement Month)

* November 8: Introduction to the Organized Blind Movement, 8:00 p.m.

* December 7 and 10: Chapter Presidents Call, 8:00 p.m. (Planning the Year Ahead)

Mark A. Riccobono, President

200 East Wells Street, Baltimore, MD 21230

410-659-9314 |  <mailto:Officeofthepresident at nfb.org> Officeofthepresident at nfb.org

Mastodon: @President at nfb.social

Pronouns: he, him, his

 <https://nfb.org/>