[NFBofSC] Positive Note 1916

Marty McKenzie marty2music at outlook.com
Mon May 1 11:00:55 UTC 2023

May 1, 2023
Memo To:  Executive Officers, Board Members, Chapter & Division Presidents & Others
From:  Marty R. McKenzie, President
Positive Note 1916
843-939-8091  marty2music at outlook.com

Dear Federation Family,

It is the first day of May and Midlands Gives is in full swing! Currently, there is a total of $5,162.00 that has been given by 23 donors, and the remaining matching funds are $2,419.00. This is an incredible place for us to be today! I fully anticipate we will receive the full match amount. If you or others you know have not yet given, please consider a donation of any amount to assist the NFB of SC with meeting our overall goal of at least $10,000 including the match. We thank the Cheerful Giver for making this opportunity possible! The link for Midlands Gives is https://www.midlandsgives.org/NFBOFSC and donations are accepted through May 2, 2023 at 11:59 p.m. On May second, you can also call the Federation Center at 803-254-3777, where folks will be standing bye to help you donate. There will be refreshments at the Federation Center during the Power Hour from 12:00 to 1:00 PM.

Rocky Bottom also needs your support for Midlands Gives.    You can start giving now by visiting https://www.midlandsgives.org/rockybottom, and donating until May 2, 2023 at 11:59 p.m.  don't forget, you can call the Federation Center on May 2, if you prefer to give over the phone. Our goal is to get as many donations as we can between 12:00 and 1:00 PM, giving Rocky Bottom the chance to win a special prize during the Midlands Gives Power Hour.  Please help support this beautiful space unique to the blind of South Carolina.

On April 13-15, 2023, volunteers from Mount Hebron United Methodist Church spent time at Rocky Bottom making much needed building repairs, performing yard work and generally cleaning in several locations. While many organizations donate goods to Rocky Bottom, it has been some time since a group of volunteers has come up to assist with maintenance and improvements. General Manager, Suzanne Bryant, was profuse in her appreciation to the volunteers who participated. We extend our appreciation to them as well along with Suzanne Bryant for all their hard work!!

Registration for the national convention is underway, and you should register if you plan to attend. The cost is $25, and a banquet ticket is $70. You must visit the banquet exchange table early in the convention to ensure that you are sitting at a table with friends if that is what you wish to do. To register, visit https://nfb.org/civicrm/event/register?reset=1&id=572. You should review the Code of Conduct prior to registering for the national convention.

The Embassy Suites is now accepting reservations for the NFB of SC state convention, which will take place August 18-20, 2023. Rooms can be booked at $112 plus tax and any applicable fees for singles, doubles, triples and quads for August 17- 20, 2023. You may call the Embassy Suites at 803-252-8700. Members are not being charged the first night's room; instead, a hold is placed on your card until check-in.

Registration for the NFB of SC State Convention is now live!  The cost is $85 for adults, $55 for students and $30 for children under eighteen. These prices all adjust upward after August 4, 2023. Please visit www.nfbofsc.org<http://www.nfbofsc.org> to register online. If you need assistance submitting the online form, please contact me and someone will assist you. We are working on a print form for those who may need it.

Important Things to Remember:

*        Midlands Gives on May 2, 2023

*        Houston ticket sales drawing on May 30, 2023

*        National Convention early registration is May 31, 2023

*        National Convention Hotel deadline is May 31, 2023

If you need additional information about any of the items above, please contact David Houck at the Federation Center at 803-254-3777. You can also contact me as shown above.

Here is David Houck's Federation Fun Fact for this week! Let's continue to read and learn together about our rich history in South Carolina.

Donald C. Capps was the longest serving President of the NFB of SC, and he held other positions as well on the NFB Board of Directors and served with the World Blind Union. Born and raised in Mullins, SC.  He graduated Mullins High School and Drauhon's Business College. He married Betty R. Capps, also of Mullins, and they had two children Beth and Craig.  Later Beth married David Setters, and they gave Donald and Betty Capps three grandchildren, Aaron, Michael and Laura.

Vocationally, Donald Capps worked at Colonial Life and Accident Insurance Company in Columbia from 1947-1985. He worked as Claims Administrator, officially retired June 30, 1985. His loving and ever present wife, Betty worked in a bank and took care of some rental properties they owned. They were long time members of Kilbourne Park Baptist Church in Columbia. Donald Capps was a Paul Harris Fellow of the Rotary Club of Forest Acres (40 years), and in his many travels, he brought back tokens from attending other Rotary Clubs across the country and around the world.

Donald Capps was honored with the Colonel Sanders "Colonel's Way" Award, and he received Columbia's Jefferson Award. A few years later in 2001, he received a Doctorate in Public Service from USC Spartanburg. Last but not least, Donald Capps received the Order of the Palmetto, and Betty Capps received the Order of the Silver Crescent for their lifetime of service. Next week we will venture into his local service to the blind.

Marty

Marty R. McKenzie, President
National Federation of the Blind of South Carolina
119 S. Kilbourne Road
Columbia, SC 29205
Phone: 803-254-3777
Mobile: 843-939-8091