[NFBofSC] FW: [Brl-monitor] The Braille Monitor, May 2023

Frank Loza floza58 at bellsouth.net
Mon May 1 18:05:19 UTC 2023

From: brl-monitor-bounces at nfbcal.org <brl-monitor-bounces at nfbcal.org> On
Behalf Of Brian Buhrow
Sent: Monday, May 1, 2023 12:25 PM
To: brl-monitor at nfbcal.org
Subject: [Brl-monitor] The Braille Monitor, May 2023

The Braille Monitor, May 2023

BRAILLE MONITOR

Vol. 66, No. 5 May 2023

Gary Wunder, Editor

Distributed by email, in inkprint, in Braille, and on USB flash drive, by
the

NATIONAL FEDERATION OF THE BLIND

Mark Riccobono, President

telephone: 410-659-9314

email address: nfb at nfb.org <mailto:nfb at nfb.org>

website address: http://www.nfb.org

NFBnet.org: http://www.nfbnet.org

NFB-NEWSLINE® information: 866-504-7300

Like us on Facebook: Facebook.com/nationalfederationoftheblind

Follow us on Twitter: @NFB_Voice

Watch and share our videos: YouTube.com/NationsBlind

Letters to the President, address changes, subscription requests, and orders
for NFB literature should be sent to the national office. Articles for the
Monitor and letters to the editor may also be sent to the national office or
may be emailed to gwunder at nfb.org <mailto:gwunder at nfb.org> .

Monitor subscriptions cost the Federation about forty dollars per year.
Members are invited, and nonmembers are requested, to cover the subscription
cost. Donations should be made payable to National Federation of the Blind
and sent to:

National Federation of the Blind

200 East Wells Street at Jernigan Place
Baltimore, Maryland 21230-4998

THE NATIONAL FEDERATION OF THE BLIND KNOWS THAT BLINDNESS IS NOT THE
CHARACTERISTIC THAT DEFINES YOU OR YOUR FUTURE. EVERY DAY WE RAISE THE
EXPECTATIONS OF BLIND PEOPLE, BECAUSE LOW EXPECTATIONS CREATE OBSTACLES
BETWEEN BLIND PEOPLE AND OUR DREAMS. YOU CAN LIVE THE LIFE YOU WANT;
BLINDNESS IS NOT WHAT HOLDS YOU BACK. THE NATIONAL FEDERATION OF THE BLIND
IS NOT AN ORGANIZATION SPEAKING FOR THE BLIND—IT IS THE BLIND SPEAKING FOR
OURSELVES.

ISSN 0006-8829

© 2023 by the National Federation of the Blind

Each issue is recorded on a thumb drive (also called a memory stick or USB
flash drive). You can read this audio edition using a computer or a National
Library Service digital player. The NLS machine has two slots—the familiar
book-cartridge slot just above the retractable carrying handle and a second
slot located on the right side near the headphone jack. This smaller slot is
used to play thumb drives. Remove the protective rubber pad covering this
slot and insert the thumb drive. It will insert only in one position. If you
encounter resistance, flip the drive over and try again. (Note: If the
cartridge slot is not empty when you insert the thumb drive, the digital
player will ignore the thumb drive.) Once the thumb drive is inserted, the
player buttons will function as usual for reading digital materials. If you
remove the thumb drive to use the player for cartridges, when you insert it
again, reading should resume at the point you stopped.

You can transfer the recording of each issue from the thumb drive to your
computer or preserve it on the thumb drive. However, because thumb drives
can be used hundreds of times, we would appreciate their return in order to
stretch our funding. Please use the return envelope enclosed with the drive
when you return the device.

[PHOTO/CAPTION: Hilton Americas-Houston Convention Center Hotel]

Convention Bulletin 2023

There are plenty of reasons one might travel to Houston, Texas, the fourth
most populous city in the United States. One might visit for the nearly
three-week-long Houston Livestock Show and Rodeo. The city’s vibrant arts
scene boasts the largest concentration of theater seats outside of New York
City. And no Houston resident would let a visitor forget that the city is
home to the 2022 World Series Champion Houston Astros. There is little
question that Houston has a great deal going for it. The city’s real draw,
however, is that it will play host to the National Federation of the Blind’s
2023 National Convention.

It has now been more than fifty years since the largest gathering of the
organized blind last convened in Houston, Texas, and our return in 2023 will
be an event not to be missed. The Hilton Americas-Houston hotel (1600 Lamar
Street, Houston, TX 77010) will serve as our convention headquarters hotel.
Situated in the heart of downtown Houston across the street from the
beautiful twelve-acre Discovery Green Park, the Hilton Americas is an ideal
location for our annual event. Ballrooms, breakout space, and sleeping rooms
are all stacked in the same tower housed on a single city block, simplifying
navigation and minimizing travel distances. In-room internet is
complimentary to all attendees as is access to the health club and swimming
pool on the 22nd floor. There are several dining options on the hotel’s
lobby level (including a Starbucks for those of you requiring a caffeine
fix) and many more choices within easy walking distance from the Hilton’s
front door.

The nightly rate at the Hilton Americas-Houston is $119 for singles,
doubles, triples, and quads. In addition, the sales tax rate is 8.25
percent, and the hotel occupancy tax rate is 17 percent. To book your room
for the 2023 convention, call 1-800-236-2905 after January 1 and ask for the
“NFB Convention” block. For each room, the hotel will take a deposit of the
first night’s room rate and taxes and will require a credit card or a
personal check. If you use a credit card, the deposit will be charged
against your card immediately. If a reservation is cancelled before
Thursday, June 1, 2023, half of the deposit will be returned. Otherwise
refunds will not be made.

We have also secured overflow space at the wonderful Marriott Marquis
Houston. The Marriott is only a three-block walk directly across Discovery
Green, or attendees can walk entirely indoors through the George R. Brown
convention center, connecting both hotels on the second level. You will find
many of the same amenities at the Marriott as well as a Texas-shaped lazy
river pool. The room rate at the Marriott Marquis is also $119 per night for
singles, doubles, triples, and quads. To book a room, call 1-877-622-3056
after January 1. Again, ask for the “NFB Convention” block. Similarly, the
same deposit and cancellation policies apply.

The 2023 convention of the National Federation of the Blind will be a truly
exciting and memorable event, with an unparalleled program and rededication
to the goals and work of our movement. A wide range of seminars for parents
of blind children, technology enthusiasts, job seekers, and other groups
will kick the week off on Saturday, July 1. Convention registration and
registration packet pick-up will also open on Saturday. Breakout sessions
continue on Sunday along with committee meetings. Monday, July 3, will kick
off with the annual meeting, open to all, of the Board of Directors of the
National Federation of the Blind. National division meetings will follow the
board meeting that afternoon and evening. General convention sessions will
begin on Tuesday, July 4, and continue through the afternoon of Thursday,
July 6. Convention ends on a high note with the banquet Thursday evening so
be sure to pack your fancy clothes. The fall of the gavel at the close of
banquet will signal convention’s adjournment.

Remember that as usual we need door prizes from state affiliates, local
chapters, and individuals. Once again prizes should be small in size but
large in value. Cash, of course, is always appropriate and welcome. As a
rule, we ask that prizes of all kinds have a value of at least $25 and not
include alcohol. Drawings will occur steadily throughout the convention
sessions, and you can anticipate a Texas-sized grand prize to be drawn at
the banquet. You may bring door prizes with you to convention or send them
in advance to the National Federation of the Blind of Texas at 1600 E
Highway 6, Suite 215, Alvin, TX 77511.

The best collection of exhibits featuring new technology; meetings of our
special interest groups, committees, and divisions; the most stimulating and
provocative program items of any meeting of the blind in the world; the
chance to renew friendships in our Federation family; and the unparalleled
opportunity to be where the real action is and where decisions are being
made—all of these mean you will not want to miss being a part of the 2023
National Convention. To assure yourself a room in the headquarters hotel at
convention rates, make your reservations early. We plan to see you in
Houston in July.

Vol. 66, No. 5 May 2023

Contents

Illustration: From a Dream to Really Riding in an Autonomous Vehicle

A Welcome to Nebraska and Some Inspiration for Us All

by Shane Buresh, Amy Buresh, and Jeremy Fifield

A Heart-felt Apology and a Chance to Start Again

by Shir Ekerling

After the Miracle: The Political Crusades of Helen Keller by Max Wallace

Reviewed by Gary Wunder

Pedaling for Those Who May Think They Are Alone

by Gary Wunder

Going My Way: Driving Accessibility through Innovative Autonomous
Transportation

by Michelle Peacock

More about the Dynamic 2023 Convention

by Norma Crosby

#NFB23 Give $20 Drawing—Aira Provides Challenge Grant

Resolution Reminders

by Donald Porterfield

How the Medical Device Nonvisual Accessibility Act Has Turned Me into an
Impassioned Advocate

by Debbie Wunder

Back to Notre Dame

An Address Delivered by Marc Maurer

Monitor Miniatures

[PHOTO/CAPTION: In this close-up photo, Mark and Anil smile joyfully as they
lean toward the Waymo One vehicle. The Waymo One is a four-door, white,
all-electric Jaguar I-PACE SUV that is equipped with cameras and sensors.]

[PHOTO/CAPTION: In this photo, Mark and Anil stand smiling in front of the
front passenger door of the four-door, white Waymo One vehicle. Their long
white canes are crossed and President Riccobono is holding the National
Federation of the Blind membership coin.]

>From a Dream to Really Riding in an Autonomous Vehicle

President Mark Riccobono and Executive Director of Blindness Initiatives
Anil Lewis visited our partners at Waymo in San Francisco in March 2023. On
the bright sunny day, their visit included a ride across town in an
autonomous car, the Waymo One. Anil shared, "This is my first real
autonomous experience, no one but Mark and I in the car
When it picked us
up, it was like within a foot of the curb. It parked better than most people
I know that drive. I think that this is really going to be a game changer.”

Through our partnership, blind people not only have something to gain from
new technologies like Waymo’s, we also offer valuable perspectives to
contribute. Including us from the beginning helps make the experience better
for everyone. The National Federation of the Blind and Waymo are partnering
to include the feedback and suggestions of people who are blind in the
development of Waymo’s autonomous driving technology. Through its
collaboration with us, Waymo has added accessibility features that let
people receive added navigation details about their trip via audio, find
their vehicle by sound, and more. President Riccobono shared, "Waymo, in
particular, understands and values the fact that we have something to
contribute and Waymo has something to contribute, and that makes it a true
partnership.”

[PHOTO/CAPTION: Jeremy Fifield, Amy and Shane Buresh holding their long
white canes outside the International Quilt Museum.]

A Welcome to Nebraska and Some Inspiration for Us All

by Shane Buresh, Amy Buresh, and Jeremy Fifield

>From the Editor: Since 2006, Shane Buresh has been constructing audio
openers for the NFB of Nebraska state conventions. These offerings leverage
historical events, figures or places, or highlight individuals or
corporations which were begun in the various Nebraska host cities. These
presentations use their stories to parallel the tremendous success the NFB
has achieved both on the state and national level. This year the opener was
a collaborative effort by Shane, who wrote and voice recorded the text, his
wife Amy Buresh, who researched and edited the script, and Jeremy Fifield,
who edited and audio engineered the audio version. These individuals are all
active members of the Lincoln Chapter of the NFB of Nebraska.

Not only is the presentation stellar, but it is a reminder that much happens
in our state affiliates that just never makes it to the Braille Monitor so
it can be appreciated by a nationwide readership and serve as an inspiration
to all of us.

Welcome to the fifty-second annual convention of the National Federation of
the Blind of Nebraska. We assemble this weekend in fellowship to plan for
the equality, security, and opportunity we need, and to inspire one another
and demonstrate that in everything we do this weekend and throughout the
year ahead, we are living the lives we want!

Each of us in this room brings unique and valuable material to this
convention. We are stitched together through the common thread of blindness.
Though we represent a patchwork of unique and colorful histories, we join
together because we realize that the Federation family tradition offers us a
strength and comfort that we would not find with such warmth on our own. The
largest gathering of the blind in the state this year is in this room, and
rest assured that the National Federation of the Blind of Nebraska has you
covered.

Speaking of covered, the subject of this year's opener could do an excellent
job of that too! It's a warm bedcovering made of padding enclosed between
layers of fabric and kept in place by lines of stitching, typically applied
in a decorative design. You guessed it, the quilt—so steeped in tradition,
so often assembled with love and support, that when you stop and think about
its similarity to our beloved organization, the comparison is undeniable.

Both the NFB and quilts were originally conceived to bring function and
security to the members of the family. Both have lengthy histories and
traditions. Both involve a high degree of specialized skills handed down
through the generations with love.

Like the work of the Federation, the making of quilts often evolved into
social gatherings called quilting bees, which are still prevalent today.
Such gatherings were mutually supportive and were largely attended by women
and their daughters. They served to help break the isolation experienced by
many and provided a supportive outlet for mentorship, strength, and
encouragement. Many issues were discussed and advocacy campaigns launched.
Within the environment of the quilting bees, everyone had a role to play.
Working together, everyone came away with a treasured product. Sounds
familiar, doesn't it?

Whether designed by artists reflecting the social commentaries of the day or
assembled from uneven, rough-edged pieces, a good quilt held the common
thread of pride for all. As we know, when function meets style, the result
is a product worthy of unending legacy. Constructed with a common goal,
strengthened by the richness and unique aspects of its individual pieces,
the quilt offers a vibrant, personal piece of one's story. Encompassing all
these aspects and more, the quilt has been commemorated in a place here in
our very own capital city, the International Quilt Museum. Located on the
University of Nebraska's East Campus, the museum boasts the largest publicly
held collection of quilts in the world. Since its founding in 1997, they
have assembled more than 9,000 quilts and 2,500 quilt-related objects, and
they welcome more than 20,000 guests each year. Visitors are treated to a
diverse and inclusive environment. Many stories are told there, and it's
often said that the quilts speak for themselves.

Like quilting, we the blind have a story to tell which illuminates the power
of our collective action, a story that uses our past to shape our future. We
in the NFB are making plans for the Museum of the Blind Peoples Movement at
our headquarters in Baltimore, Maryland. We'll enhance our standing in
society by demonstrating our capacity and demystifying the misconceptions of
blindness. We'll speak for ourselves, and our patchwork history will be
immortalized for the treasure that it is.

As we work this weekend and on into the future, let us remember that each of
us brings our own unique traits to a collective quilt that can warm and
protect those who seek the truth about blindness. The successes and
failures; triumphs and tragedies; stitch us together across the common
fabric of blindness. Whether you've gathered with us many times before or
it's your first time lending your talents to the work, we thank you for
being here. This convention would not be the same without you. Action by
action, stitch by stitch, we will build a creation worthy of function,
sturdy enough for protection, rich enough to include us all, and worthy of
our showcase within society as a whole. Like a quilt passed down for
generations, we the members of the National Federation of the Blind of
Nebraska stand together this weekend to say to one another, "Have no fear,
my friend. I've got you covered."

----------

[PHOTO/CAPTION: Shir Eckerling]

A Heart-felt Apology and a Chance to Start Again

by Shir Ekerling

>From the Editor: There isn't much I need to say because this letter says it
all. I admire people who can say they are sorry and want to start again. I
hope and believe this is a real step forward.

Dear Members of the Federation,

My name is Shir, and I am the founder of accessiBe. I am writing to address
our past actions and to offer our deepest apologies for the way we
previously communicated and reacted. I also want to outline what we are
doing and have done to change and improve in response to feedback from
Federation members and individuals in the broader disability space.

Before I go further, I want to share with you that I have a deep personal
understanding of what it feels like to be dependent on assistive technology.
I am a person who relies daily on multiple assistive medical technologies
due to my Type 1/juvenile diabetes. My medical journey has been challenging
at times, and thus I am driven by a singular conviction when it comes to my
work and accessiBe. I can personally relate to struggling with assistive
technology, and this is one of the reasons it is essential for me to be the
best ally that I can be to you.

When I founded accessiBe, other than in the very technical aspects, I was a
newcomer to the accessibility and disability communities. As software
engineers, we incorrectly believed that the technicalities were all that we
needed to know. When some community members voiced their concerns, my
colleagues and I became defensive and resistant, and we mistakenly treated
it with dismissal or, at times, even anger. As the founder of accessiBe, I
want to take full responsibility for these reactions, and I wish to outline
how, in the past two years, feedback from Federation members and many
individuals and disability rights activists has guided me and accessiBe
through a meaningful transformative process.

After several years of learning, and as I reflect on our choices during that
time, I recognize that the way we reacted to concerns did not demonstrate my
commitment to my conviction. Even though we failed to respond appropriately,
we did hear you. We have been learning a lot from your feedback and have
been changing our approach and how we do things because of it. For our
improper reactions and responses, we want to express our deepest apologies
to everyone who has been affected, and we are committed to responding with
openness, gratitude, and accountability going forward. I also want to
apologize for emphasizing our marketing on avoiding legal action, when it
should have been on making one's website usable to users who would otherwise
be left out. We have many things to do until we get there, but I hope that
soon, you will trust us enough to call us your ally and bestow that honor
and responsibility on us. I am committed to that goal and to receiving all
available guidance and learning to support that work.

At the core of what we do is our belief that creating an inclusive
environment for all individuals requires work from each of us individually
and from us as a collective. As a company handling digital accessibility, it
is our responsibility to work alongside you, to demonstrate why it is so
crucial for businesses to provide online access at all times, especially in
a rapidly changing digital space. This is why we strive to provide solutions
that make it easier for businesses, from the smallest family business to the
biggest enterprise, to provide equal access and opportunities to all their
users and customers, with or without a disability. We want to provide
businesses with tools that help them recognize that accessibility and
usability are possible for them, and that even if they lack resources,
providing accessibility will be a positive decision that drives their
business forward. I'm not writing this to advertise accessiBe, but to
provide background on what we are trying to do.

I'm writing this letter to ask you, Federation members, for a second chance
to build a relationship with you. I am aware of your concerns about
overlays, privacy and security, advertising, and more. Some of these
concerns are addressed here; others are too complex for a short letter, and
I wish to remain focused on the communication and people aspect, and on our
commitment. I am, however, going to address these and any other concerns you
bring to my attention as we move forward in our communication, conversation,
and the work we put out to the world.

Over the past two years, we focused on seeking guidance and training from
disabled leaders, activists, individuals, and disability-led organizations
willing to teach us where we fell short and what we needed to do to revise
our approach. This work is ongoing.

We took the time for a deep review and are making significant changes that
include complete employee training, disability history, civil rights
activism, disability justice workshops, and guidance on accessibility and
disability communication. We are committed to building an inclusive culture
from the core and to being directed by the disability community in the work
that we do. We want disability to be present in all aspects of accessiBe.

Making significant changes takes time, and we understand that building trust
is a lengthy process. We strive to continue learning and making further
improvements that demonstrate our commitment as we move forward. The
experience of every individual is unique. We cannot capture every
perspective or understand every situation. Therefore, we will continue to
learn and improve.

Accessibility is not only about technology but mostly about people, culture,
and education. We are committed to inclusion both internally and externally.

We are also committed to being transparent about our journey, and I want to
begin by sharing our "Purpose statement"
(https://accessibe.com/purpose-statement). This twenty-page document details
the journey we have been on, delving deep into the changes we have made, and
our focus for the future. We encourage you to read it to learn more about
our efforts. Here are some highlights:

Our marketing department has undergone a significant overhaul that
encompasses communication, activities, and team structure. We have replaced
our chief marketing officer and discarded previous campaigns. We have
shifted our focus toward education, and our goal is to provide a platform
for the disability community to reach our customer network and directly
educate the business community without us speaking for or representing the
community in any way, yet providing it an opportunity to educate millions of
people and businesses directly. We are committed to supporting, elevating,
and amplifying your voice and advocacy efforts. We strongly believe that
educating people and businesses about disabilities, accessibility, and
inclusion is crucial to creating an inclusive society.

By offering individuals and businesses education, in cooperation with the
disability community, we can collectively take steps toward bringing the
digital world closer to where we all want it to be.

We recognize that web accessibility is not a one-size-fits-all process.
Therefore, today, our approach is to provide a variety of accessibility
tools and solutions to help businesses address accessibility
comprehensively. We are creating an ecosystem of tools, services, products,
and educational platforms for businesses of all sizes to develop and
implement inclusive business practices and successfully incorporate web
accessibility in their projects. We also provide comprehensive accessibility
services, including human audits, accessibility consulting, technical
accessibility training, user testing, and ongoing support to ensure that
accessibility is maintained over time.

We are incorporating talented professionals from the disability community
and their expertise into every aspect of our company. Everything we do is
made with, and often by, a person with a disability in the process. This is
true from research and development to the way we deliver services, build
products and solutions, and come up with campaigns and communications for
businesses and customers. Every layer of accessiBe relies on leadership and
talent from people with disabilities, including input, education, guidance,
and review.

As the founder of accessiBe, I have a responsibility to lead by example. I
am committed to listening to your feedback and concerns and to taking
actions that reflect that. I am also committed to being accountable for our
reactions and to being a part of the solution. For that reason, I want to
offer a direct line of communication with me for your concerns or questions.
Please do not hesitate to email me directly at ekshir at accessibe.com
<mailto:ekshir at accessibe.com> .

We have a long way to go, but we are committed to making the necessary
changes and doing better. We believe that accessibility and inclusion are
critical foundational components of society and should therefore be
essential and achievable for businesses of any size. We must create
resources, solutions, and services that support this goal while providing
the best user experience to each person. We look forward to working with you
on creating a more accessible and inclusive future for everyone.

Sincerely, Shir

----------

[PHOTO/CAPTION: Gary Wunder]

After the Miracle: The Political Crusades of Helen Keller by Max Wallace

Reviewed by Gary Wunder

Grand Central Publishing, hardcover, 416 pages.

ISBN: 9781538707685

Available on Kindle and audible.com

In June of 2018, readers of the Braille Monitor were treated to an excellent
article by Kane Brolin. He wrote on the fiftieth anniversary of the death of
Helen Keller, and his message was the first that many of us had seen
suggesting that she was more than the result of a miracle worker. She was a
highly articulate human being who managed to be present on the world stage,
though she had no memory of hearing or vision. Recently I was asked if the
Braille Monitor would be interested in reviewing a new book, After the
Miracle by Max Wallace. I recommend the book for anyone who believes that
blind people should live the lives we want.

Mr. Wallace emphasizes that too many people have been happy to view Annie
Sullivan and Helen Keller as the miracle worker and the recipient of the
miracle. This is not a book one reads to be comforted by the oft-repeated
portrayals of Helen Keller's miraculous achievements. The author reveals
that some of her expressed beliefs were, and still are, controversial. At
various points in her life she embraced communism, eugenics, woman suffrage,
and socialism.

Helen Keller was highly critical of the way black people were treated both
here and abroad. She was an outspoken critic of the beliefs, held in her
native south and in the north as well, that black people were inherently
inferior and unequal. Today most of us see what she had to say as a basic
truth. We might assume that this truth has always been obvious, though many
chose to ignore it. But the south, and particularly her home state of
Alabama, soon became a place Keller seldom dared to visit. This was
something of a good thing for Keller's relatives, who felt it necessary to
separate themselves from her views, whether that separation was based on
conscience and observation or simply on not wanting to spoil the nests in
which they lived.

One of Keller's more controversial views was that war was usually motivated
and fought based on economic interests rather than moral values. She admired
those who fought and even appreciated the need to fight if the issue
demanded it, but she did not support our entry into any war that happened in
her lifetime.

Keller's livelihood depended on being gracious to rich people and soliciting
their donations. However, the reality she saw made her believe there was too
great a distance between rich and poor and too little opportunity for real
education for the deaf and the blind. She concluded that poverty might be a
more important factor in life than any specific disability.

The American Foundation for the Blind often uses Helen Keller in its
advertising. It celebrates her fame and takes credit for many of her
worldwide travels. This book argues that, for all the compensation Helen
received from the Foundation, the Foundation was by far the greater
beneficiary of funding and publicity as a result of that association. It
also argues strongly that the AFB sought to downplay and even suppress the
publication of Helen's views on war, the economy, civil rights, apartheid,
and a number of other issues that the Foundation feared would interfere with
its fundraising and its work on behalf of the blind. Wallace refers to
conversations in which the Foundation discussed severing its relationship
with Ms. Keller and parts of letters in which they went to great pains to
assure prized donors that their donations would not go to the causes to
which the donors objected.

Wallace sadly observes that one of the distressing aspects of coverage
frequently given to Keller is that some of her controversial views were
dismissed by friends and foes as the consequence of her disabilities. People
assumed that, no matter how respected she was or accomplished she seemed,
she could never fully grasp the complexity of the world. People often
assumed she had been duped into her controversial opinions by those who
should have served her better. Many were convinced that a certain innocence
and naïveté are intrinsic to the lives of disabled people and especially to
a woman with multiple disabilities. I find this explaining away of Keller's
views particularly deplorable, considering similar experiences I have had
with my own parents and siblings. At times they have argued I cannot have a
balanced view of issues around race because I cannot "see the way they
behave." If I could, they assume that my views would be far closer to their
own. Blindness is the issue, not the breadth of my life experience and
reflection.

Whether you find yourself agreeing or disagreeing with Keller's views, this
is a fascinating and enlightening book. The quotations that appear portray
Keller as someone who was observant and introspective. She was not afraid to
challenge the views of those around her, even when she and Annie Sullivan
suffered financial consequences. Certainly there is some wisdom in the
quotation, "Whose bread I eat, his song I sing." Helen Keller did her best
to live beyond the miracle and to show that she was more than the walking,
talking embodiment of innocence, seeking light for the blind and sound for
the deaf.

The book is available on Audible and at the following link:
https://www.grandcentralpublishing.com/titles/max-wallace/after-the-miracle/
9781668620915/
<https://protect-us.mimecast.com/s/7fcsCgJQvRsAnQ14s3iTEA?domain=grandcentra
lpublishing.com/> .

----------

[PHOTO/CAPTION: Dan O’Rourke and Mark Riccobono smile and hold their NFB
member coins.]

Pedaling for Those Who May Think They Are Alone

by Gary Wunder

Dan O’Rourke is a man on a mission. As a veteran NHL hockey referee, he's
used to skating on thin ice, making tough calls, and taking a few hits along
the way. His latest challenge, Route 66 Ride for Literacy, is a bit
different. Instead of donning his skates and whistle, he's hopping on a
bicycle and setting out on a cross-country journey to support a cause that's
near and dear to his heart.

Dan is riding down Route 66 to raise money for our organization. His father
Tom is blind from RP (retinitis pigmentosa) and has been the inspiration for
the ride. Dan wants blind children to know that they are not growing up
alone and that they have adult role models who have faced challenges similar
to theirs. As someone who has grown up with a blind parent, he knows
firsthand the struggles and obstacles that blind people face, and he wants
to do his part to make a difference.

Dan's father always thought that denying blindness was a sign of strength
and the best way to cope with blindness. The positive side of this is that
he did everything a father and provider was expected to do, never letting
blindness define him. Dan has taken a slightly different tack on how to deal
with blindness. He is convinced that working with other blind people can add
strength to one’s character. By accepting a shared characteristic with
others, he believes we can jointly develop and live out coping strategies
that can determine whether blindness is an inconvenience or a tragedy. His
reasons for choosing the National Federation of the Blind are clear. He
believes that our goals are closely aligned with his own. They aim to help
people live the lives they want, support those who may feel alone, and look
for ways to avoid reinventing the wheel. All these goals are close to his
heart, and he hopes that his ride will inspire others to follow in his
footsteps.

Dan has been athletic all his life, and cycling has been a part of that.
He's completed numerous charity events over the years, but this one is
different. This time, he's cycling, and now for a cause that's personal.
He's willing to push himself further than ever before to make a difference.

Dan met his wife and life partner, April, when he was just twenty years old,
and they've been together ever since. She's his biggest supporter and is
traveling with him on the journey. Their love story is one of mutual
support, understanding, and acceptance, and they use their own experiences
to help others who may be going through struggles.

Dan's parents, Tom and Janice, are both seventy-five years old, and they're
incredibly proud of their son's efforts. They've been supportive of his
career in his personal life, and they're thrilled that he's using his
platform to make a difference in the lives of others.

His journey down Route 66 will begin around the 26th of July and is expected
to end around September 7. These dates are deliberately vague because no one
can predict the weather or the mechanical difficulties he may encounter.
This 2,400-mile ride will take him through towns where we have chapters, and
the hope is to let folks meet him, let the communities through which he
passes know about his work, and to remind them that their city has a branch
of the premier organization of blind people in the world.

What Dan is doing will be more than just a 2,400-mile bike ride. It's a
testament to the power of hope, passion, and determination. By sharing his
own story and raising money for a worthy cause, Dan is proving that even the
smallest actions can make a big impact. He hopes his ride will inspire
others to support causes that are important to them and to encourage them
never to give up on their dreams and aspirations. As he pedals down the
road, he expects to be reminded of the beauty of life, the importance of
family, and the power of love. These are values he sees in the National
Federation of the Blind, and together we will write another important page
in the history of the blind as we continue the journey to living fulfilling
lives in which blindness is but one of many characteristics.

----------

We Need Your Help

Very soon after I went blind, I went to my first convention of the National
Federation of the Blind. Though as a six-year-old I was not scared about my
future as a blind person, learning about the NFB and going to conventions
showed me tons of independent blind people who I could look up to. Real life
superheroes that I could aspire to be like. - Abigail

Blind children, students, and adults are making powerful strides in
education and leadership every day across the United States, but we need to
continue helping kids like Abigail. For more than eighty years, the National
Federation of the Blind has worked to transform the dreams of hundreds of
thousands of blind people into reality. With support from individuals like
you, we can continue to provide powerful programs and critical resources now
and for decades to come. We hope you will plan to be a part of our enduring
movement by including the National Federation of the Blind in your
charitable giving and in your estate planning. It is easier than you think.

With your help, the NFB will continue to:

*	Give blind children the gift of literacy through Braille.
*	Mentor young people like Abigail.
*	Promote independent travel by providing free, long white canes to
blind people in need.
*	Develop dynamic educational projects and programs to show blind
youth that science and math careers are within their reach.
*	Deliver hundreds of accessible newspapers and magazines to provide
blind people the essential information necessary to be actively involved in
their communities.
*	Offer aids and appliances that help seniors losing vision maintain
their independence.

Below are just a few of the many tax-deductible ways you can show your
support of the National Federation of the Blind.

LYFT Round Up

By visiting the menu, choosing donate, and selecting the National Federation
of the Blind, you commit to giving to the National Federation of the Blind
with each ride.

Vehicle Donation Program

We accept donated vehicles, including cars, trucks, boats, motorcycles, or
recreational vehicles. Just call 855-659-9314 toll-free, and a
representative can make arrangements to pick up your donation. We can also
answer any questions you have.

General Donation

General donations help support the ongoing programs of the NFB and the work
to help blind people live the lives they want. You can call 410-659-9314,
extension 2430, to give by phone. Give online with a credit card or through
the mail with check or money order. Visit our Ways to Give Page at:
https://nfb.org/give.

Pre-Authorized Contributions

Through the Pre-Authorized Contribution (PAC) program, supporters sustain
the efforts of the National Federation of the Blind by making recurring
monthly donations by direct withdrawal of funds from a checking account or a
charge to a credit card. To enroll, call 877-NFB-2PAC, or fill out our PAC
Donation Form https://www.nfb.org/pac.

Plan to Leave a Legacy

The National Federation of the Blind legacy society, our Dream Makers
Circle, honors and recognizes the generosity and imagination of members and
special friends who have chosen to leave a legacy through a will or other
planned giving option. You can join the Dream Makers Circle in a myriad of
ways.

Percentage or Fixed Sum of Assets

You can specify that a percentage or a fixed sum of your assets or property
goes to the National Federation of the Blind in your will, trust, pension,
IRA, life insurance policy, brokerage account, or other accounts.

Payable on Death (POD) Account

You can name the National Federation of the Blind as the beneficiary on a
Payable on Death (POD) account through your bank. You can turn any checking
or savings account into a POD account. This is one of the simplest ways to
leave a legacy. The account is totally in your control during your lifetime,
and you can change the beneficiary or percentage at any time with ease.

Will or Trust

If you do decide to create or revise your will, consider the National
Federation of the Blind as a partial beneficiary.

Visit our Planned Giving webpage
(https://www.nfb.org/get-involved/ways-give/planned-giving) or call
410-659-9314, extension 2422, for more information.

In 2022 our supporters helped the NFB:

*	Send 371 Braille Santa and Winter Celebration letters to blind
children, encouraging excitement for Braille literacy.
*	Distribute over 3,000 canes to blind people across the United
States, empowering them to travel safely and independently throughout their
communities.
*	Deliver more than 500 newspapers and magazines to more than 100,000
subscribers with print disabilities free of charge
*	Give over 700 Braille-writing slates and styluses free of charge to
blind users.
*	Mentor 207 blind youth during our Braille Enrichment for Literacy
and Learning® Academy.
*	Award thirty scholarships each in the amount of $8,000 to blind
students.

Just imagine what we will do this year, and, with your help, what can be
accomplished for years to come. Together with love, hope, determination, and
your support, we will continue to transform dreams into reality.

----------

[PHOTO/CAPTION: Michelle Peacock]

Going My Way: Driving Accessibility through Innovative Autonomous
Transportation

by Michelle Peacock

>From the Editor: Here are the remarks President Riccobono made in
introducing a wonderful presentation on the future of self-driving cars,
something that got a big cheer from everyone in the hall when introduced. It
appeared on the afternoon of July 10 at our national convention in New
Orleans.

Mark Riccobono: From the beginning of the work on our Blind Driver
Challenge, we've used it as a platform to talk about access to all stages of
the work done in this country—well, really, around the world—on autonomous
vehicle technology. The Federation has participated with autonomous vehicle
companies all over the world. More and more of the leaders that are working
in the autonomous vehicle industry have come to understand and prioritize
our message of equal access. Waymo is one of the key companies in this
emerging industry, and our next speaker is its global head of public policy.
Her career has centered on building and growing government relation programs
for large, small, established, and startup companies in fields like
financial services, high tech, and transportation. We're proud to have her
company as a partner in our work to transform accessible transportation
options for blind people. Here's Michelle Peacock:

Hi, everyone. I'm Michelle Peacock. It's great to be here today. What an
amazing time this has been. This whole convention has been spectacular. I've
met so many great people. I want to give a shoutout to my new best friend,
Saylor Cooper, from Houston. [Applause] It's just been amazing to meet so
many people like Saylor earlier today.

So let's talk about Waymo—the words stand for new way forward. We strive to
make it safer and easier for people and things to move around. Fully
autonomous technology promises to offer more road safety and transportation
options for millions and millions of people. Waymo is building the Waymo
Driver, which is our proprietary, fully autonomous driving system. We are
doing this across two lines of business: Waymo One, our fully autonomous
ride-hailing service that's now operating in the metro Phoenix area; and
Waymo Via, which is focused on all forms of commercial goods delivery,
including heavy-duty trucking and local delivery.

Now, I was asked this question earlier today, which is, “When can I buy one
of these Waymo cars?” [Cheering] Well, the answer is that you're not.
[Laughter] Awww. We don't manufacture cars to sell to the public. The cars
that we are operating in San Francisco are beautiful Jaguar Land Rover
I-PACES. So what we're doing is operating a fleet of AV cars and heavy-duty
trucks with an autonomous driver, and we think this will help improve road
safety. We are promoting the availability of options without the need to buy
this car.

We're the most experienced AV company, with eleven years of experience in
autonomous vehicles. In 2009 we started as the Google Self-Driving Car
Project, and in 2011, we began to develop our own hardware and sensors
in-house. There's nothing on the market that could deliver this full
autonomous capability. In 2015 we completed the world's first fully
autonomous ride on public roads. This was in Austin, Texas, with our friend,
Steve Mann, who was blind. And in 2020, we launched to the world the first
fully autonomous ride-hailing service in Phoenix. We're now completing
testing of Waymo One in San Francisco.

Like I said, we believe the Waymo driver has the ability to dramatically
improve road safety because it's always paying attention. It doesn't get
tired or distracted; it doesn't have to yell at kids in the back seat; it
doesn’t have to contend with spilling food; or; neither does it, like I do,
try to find Dua Lipa on the radio.

Let me talk about our accessibility vision because we think AVs promise so
much for accessibility. I'll focus on Waymo One, our ride-hail service.

As I said before, because we own our fleet, we're uniquely positioned to add
accessibility features to our product in a way that the manually operated
ride-hailing companies just can't do. That's significant because we believe
that the benefits of AVs will be brought to the public, consumers, and the
market through shared-ride hailing before they reach customers via car
ownership. Waymo One's service means more riders will benefit sooner than
they otherwise would, and our efforts are fully in line with the philosophy
of the National Federation of the Blind. Our efforts at the user experience
are exactly what we're trying to accomplish here this weekend.
Collaborations with the community help raise the bar for user experience for
everyone. We're proud of this work, but in addition to that, I'm really
excited to share that we've recently expanded our partnership and are
collaborating with NFB on accessible infrastructure legislation in Congress
that will advance our joint missions.

Waymo's had a longstanding relationship with the blind community. Our "Let's
Talk Autonomous Driving" campaign highlights the benefits of autonomous
driving technology for people who cannot drive, including organizations like
Foundation for Blind Children, LightHouse for the Blind SF, and World Blind
Union. In a minute, I'll talk you through the different ways we've designed
our app for accessibility. But before I do, I want to stress two things.
First, we know that we're not done. We understand that our service is a work
in progress, and there's more that we can do to meet our riders' needs over
time. We've heard from the community that “nothing about us without us,” and
we've definitely put that into practice. So we want to make sure that we're
engaging with all of you on this process, collecting feedback, and using it
to constantly improve our service.

Then the second thing I wanted to point out is that this spirit of inclusive
design actually benefits all of our customers. On several occasions we've
built inclusive design features and have found that those that were
ostensibly built for the disabled community have been things that improved
user experience for the entire business. Let's talk about these inclusive
design features in Waymo One. These include the option to minimize walking
time when ordering a trip; turn-by-turn walking navigation; the ability to
honk the car's horn remotely; and the option to contact rider support.

To ensure our service is accessible for riders with various needs, we have
taken two broad approaches to developing these features. First, we've
conducted user research with these riders. We've had them use our app, take
rides in the car, talk to the support team, and inevitably this identifies
opportunities for improvement which are then added to the product
development.

Second, we've gathered feedback from internal riders that have disabilities.
These are people at our sister company, Google, who have disabilities, and
we get them in the car and get really valuable direct feedback from them as
well.

It is also important to highlight the role that NFB played in helping us
develop this technology. When we first started autonomous driving in
Chandler, Arizona, in 2017, NFB was invited to be part of our trusted tester
program, in which blind people have been able to take test rides and give us
detailed feedback. That's been a treasure trove of data for us to have.

Let me talk about Waymo One and these features. Once a user has onboarded
with us, the user can navigate to the accessibility settings, so I want to
talk you through this experience. First, the user orders a car using the
Waymo One app. The app is usable with a screen reader, which allows blind
users to navigate by hearing labels and buttons read out loud. Then, what
happens after that is the pickup process. And, you know, this also creates
some challenges. From time to time, a rider might experience some competing
factors at pickup or drop-off. This would often involve balancing two
things: A safe area to meet the car for a pickup, and that place requiring a
longer walk to get there.

So Waymo makes sure the rider is alerted to this situation as it happens and
gives them the tools to help locate the vehicle. For example, we provide
pickup and drop-off warnings for long walks before a trip is even ordered.
So if a rider decides that's too long a walk, they can decline the ride if
that doesn't work. And we can provide information for more specific
scenarios, like if the drop-off is in a parking lot.

But limiting the walking is big for us. To do that, under the accessibility
settings, users will find a feature called minimize walking time. Here's how
it works. As I mentioned before, cars sometimes give these tradeoffs to give
the user a shorter overall journey but more walking time. For example, if a
car needs to circle a block in order to pick up a passenger, it may decide
to stop across the street for passenger pickup. But this feature would have
a disproportionate impact on blind users. So the blind user could instead
request that the vehicle go ahead and circle the block and come right to
where I'm standing, so that person doesn't have to cross the street. This
feature allows them to do that. Another feature is rider-only matching. So
when we talk about these fully autonomous cars, our shorthand is rider only,
there's no driver in the car. So when users hail a ride, we alert them to
the fact that this ride may be rider only with no driver present before it
arrives, and provides additional information, like a list of ten things you
need to know about this ride. If the user isn't comfortable with rider only
or actually needs a person to help them, we give them a tool so they can
notify us or cancel the ride.

We have also added some new tools to help the rider locate the vehicle.
First is the vehicle ID. So this helps people with lower vision who could
see color or a few bright letters from far away rather than the license
plate. With this, we highlight a two-digit ID number at the top of the car
with LED, and it can be customized by color. Right now in San Francisco you
often see it flashed up as the initials of the person taking the ride. So
when I do this, I look for the initials MP, because it's coming for me. So I
use this all the time; it’s not just for people with disabilities but to
help people find their car.

Another tool is honking the horn. I have used this tool also, where you can,
from the app, press a button and it will honk the horn. This was again made
for blind individuals to make it easier to find the car when there wasn't a
person behind the wheel to call. But again, this is a great benefit. I use
this all the time and not because it's funny, but I actually use it to find
the car too. In San Francisco there's a lot of these cars on the street, so
it's really helpful to find them when you need to.

Once the rider is in the car, we've added other settings that help provide
assistive audio. These are tools that help visually impaired riders get
context about what's happening in the car. So for example, the vehicle will
tell riders when it's yielding for a pedestrian or stopping at a traffic
light, just to give riders comfort to know that the car is on track and
their ride is continuing as expected. [Cheering and applause]. I like the
cheers, but I will say, this is a tool we built for inclusivity, but
actually everybody likes this! My husband and I were in a car recently, and
we were like, this is so cool, I know exactly what's going on. It's a
tremendous benefit for everyone too.

Once in a while, things don't go as planned on these rides, and that's where
our rider support team can step in and help us be prepared for the
unexpected. Once in the vehicle, we have the live rider support team just
one tap away. They're available in the car and also from the app. For
example, rarely the Waymo vehicle may need to come to a full stop when it
doesn't know how to proceed. There may be debris in the road that it can't
identify or get around. In those scenarios, a member of the Waymo roadside
assistance team will join the ride, take over control, and complete the
trip. And we want to make sure we're effectively communicating about this
for everyone who is taking the ride.

In addition to the internal screen on the car where we show what's
happening, we also provide audio announcements, as well as talk riders
through the event. Our rider support team will also call and provide a
high-touch experience that explains to the rider what is happening and
answers questions and will describe what happens next.

We're very proud of these features that are available in the car and in the
app today. But there is even more ahead of us. For Waymo is a participant in
the United States Department of Transportation Inclusive Design Challenge.
This is a very exciting project that we've been involved in, too. It's sort
of taking what we've done, the OG features, and boosting them up even more.
So as I shared with you today, we have come a long way since 2011 in
developing this technology, and this is really just the beginning. We are so
excited to have been selected as a semifinalist in the US DOT Inclusive
Design Challenge! [Cheering and applause] Thank you. This challenge seeks to
help us develop new solutions for people with needs to make use of
autonomous vehicles to access jobs and health care and other critical
decisions. Through our user research and feedback from riders—are you
hearing a theme—in developing this fully autonomous technology, we've
learned one of the largest challenges for low-vision riders is finding the
car at pickup. This research has formed the heart of our challenge
submission, and after being selected as a semifinalist in January 2021,
we've moved to stage two, which is where we are now, so fingers crossed. In
stage two, our team prototyped additional accessibility features beyond
those that we've just talked about, and they will include adaptive app
navigation, visual, audio, and haptic cues to navigate to a vehicle,
purpose-built car sounds for wayfinding, locating with headlights, and
hands-free car communication. And also video chat support.

So in total, we've developed features that fell into eleven different
categories, all aimed at improving accessibility. [Cheering and applause] I
love all the whoos! That is great.

So, one area of focus, as we talked about, is wayfinding. And our proposal
included using creative speech, such as explaining the position of the Waymo
vehicle by noting verbally things like "the car is fifteen feet away from
you as the crow flies," using everyday language to help people navigate to
where the car is. We also include purpose-built sounds that help people
engage more effectively with the app and haptic vibrations, where we use
like a hot and cold approach that can alert users when they're getting
closer to the car. Some of you may use Apple watch, and it will vibrate when
you're making turns for navigation. This will use something similar to tell
you you're getting warmer, you're getting colder.

Earlier, as you remember, I mentioned my fondness for the horn honking
because it is really fun. But one of the challenges you might imagine is
that the horn honking on the Waymo cars sounds a lot like other cars' horns
honking. So through this challenge we designed a custom horn sound different
than the standard honk. I've listened to a couple versions of it. One has
this distinctive trill sound, and another one is a lovely melody that plays,
just a very lovely, bright, and cheerful melody. You'll know when you hear
that sound that that's the Waymo car and not a different car with a similar
sound honking. We think that might also help people who are not customers of
Waymo cars, but are bystanders who don't like the sound of more horns in
urban environments.

If you can imagine a scenario where a blind user of Waymo is trying to find
a car but they have things in their hands, like groceries, a cane, or a
child, it might not be easy for them to pull out the phone and engage with
the phone to press the button to have this noise made. So we're working on
finding a way to have the car recognize that the user is just close, and
then send the signal itself so that the person would be able to find the
car. We're very excited about this challenge. We should have the outcome
with the winners announced any day now, and we're really hopeful to win. So
all of you, send your good vibes out there to the US DOT!

This has been an amazing opportunity for us. We love the partnership with
the organization, and I just want to say thank you to all of you and to the
Federation. I am really proud of Waymo's focus on accessibility, and we're
so grateful to be constantly learning from our riders and local and national
disability groups. I think together we'll just continue to be dedicated to
bringing more accessible autonomous driving to the world! So thank you.
[Applause]

----------

[PHOTO/CAPTION: Norma Crosby]

More about the Dynamic 2023 Convention

by Norma Crosby

>From the Editor: This is the second article from our Texas affiliate
president talking about the wonderful things we will find in Houston.
Reacting to what folks asked about her last article, she addresses the issue
of how to cut costs and gives us information about tempting tours:

Since my last article, I have gotten several calls from people who want to
attend the convention but have concerns about cost. I won’t sugarcoat it.
Travel to conventions can cost a chunk of change. So I wanted to use my time
with you this month to talk about some ways of saving money. These
suggestions won’t make the convention experience free, but I hope they will
help as you try to find ways of attending on a budget.

Accessing reasonably priced food is one of the best ways to save money when
traveling, and you are lucky this year because our downtown area boasts a
number of nearby restaurants. Our affiliate is developing a free restaurant
guide that will give you some options for inexpensive food. It will also
offer options that cost a little more if you want to go out for a special
meal or get tired of cheap eats and have a little extra cash in your pocket.
You’ll find copies of our guide at the Texas information table that will be
open during the early days of the convention. Come by and grab a copy.

Of course, restaurants outside our hotels aren’t the only option for saving
money. Many seasoned convention goers do some grocery shopping to save
dollars during their stay. Randalls is a local grocery chain, and one of its
stores is less than a mile and a half from the Hilton and a similar distance
from the Marriott. The address is 2225 Louisiana Street. The chain does
offer delivery. So, you might be able to save a rideshare fare or a walk in
the Texas sun by using that option. I haven’t found an app for this store,
but you can order at randalls.com.

Every red-blooded Texan will tell you that the best grocery store in the
world is H-E-B. Featuring all national brands and some of the best
store-brand products anywhere, H-E-B is the go-to place for groceries,
bakery and deli items, fresh tortillas, and lots of other stuff. There isn’t
a store downtown, but one is a little more than three miles away. The
address is 3663 Washington Avenue. H-E-B offers delivery service and
curbside pickup through their iOS and Android apps. Having said that, I
recommend you consider making an in-person trip. I promise you’ll find some
things you didn’t know you needed.

With the development of delivery apps, shopping for convention snacks or all
the items you forgot to bring is easier than ever. You likely already know
about DoorDash, GrubHub, and Uber Eats, but I’ll add one more to your list.
Favor is owned by H-E-B, but they deliver from restaurants and pharmacies
just like some of the other apps do. You can find the app in both app stores
by searching for Favor.

Another way to save money when ordering through delivery apps is to get
together with friends to do one order instead of two or three. Delivery apps
are convenient, and they can save travel costs, but they do stack on fees
and request tips for the runners. So, working with friends can help to save
even more money.

If you need to pick up something from the pharmacy, you can find two nearby
CVS Pharmacy locations. They are located at 2410 Polk Street and 300 Milam
Street. There is also a Walgreens at 2612 Smith Street. These stores all
offer in-store or delivery options. In some cases, the delivery may be
offered through third-party apps.

Do you occasionally run out of food for your guide dog during the
convention? Of course, most of the grocery stores I mentioned above can help
with that, but I thought it would be good to share a pet store location as
well. The nearest store is the PetSmart at 1907 Taylor Street, about two and
a half miles from our headquarters hotel.

About a third of a mile from both the Hilton and the Marriott, you’ll find
The Highlight at Houston Center. This venue doesn’t include much in the way
of shopping, but it does have some food options that should be pretty
affordable, and even though getting there might be a little hot, I know you
can make it because you are strong-willed Federationists with a desire to
save money and a big appetite. Chick-Fil-A, Otto’s BBQ, Leaf & Grain,
Doozo’s Dumplings & Noodles, Simon’s Café, Salata, Bullritos (burritos),
Potbelly Sandwich, and a couple of other options can be found here. The
address is 1200 McKinney Street.

Under the streets of Houston is a seven-mile tunnel system. This underground
includes shopping and personal service options, and it also includes
restaurants and fast food. The tunnels are only open from 6:00 a.m. to 6:00
p.m. on weekdays, but once you learn how to find an entrance, you should be
able to find a few lunch options. Our restaurant list will include some
information about how to find these underground gems because trying to
explain the tunnels here would be a lot.

Hotel food can be expensive, but it doesn’t have to be. If you look
carefully at hotel menus, you can usually find some small entrées or lighter
fare that is more affordable. Another money saving tip I have learned is to
find an entrée or sandwich that is pretty big and split it with someone who
is also trying to save some bucks.

I’ve tried to offer you some ways of cutting food in this article, but one
of the other big expenses associated with attending the convention is your
hotel room. President Riccobono and John Berggren always look out for us
when negotiating hotel rates, but we know that even $119 a night plus tax
can be a lot for many of our members. So I’ll offer one more tip. It isn’t
one you haven’t thought about, I’m sure. Find one or more roommates. Maybe
you aren’t used to sharing a room. So the thought of including a roommate in
your plans may seem scary. Don’t think of it that way. Think of it as an
adventure and a way to make new friends.

I was once able to attend a convention by rooming with three women that I
didn’t know. I wasn’t sure how it would work, but we managed. After all, it
was only one week. It was a great experiment in cooperation, I made new
friends, and best of all, making the sacrifice allowed me to attend a
convention that I wouldn’t have been able to attend without their generous
help. Was it worth the inconvenience? It most certainly was.

We are in the process of wrapping up plans for our tours. The plan is to
tour Space Center Houston and the Houston Museum of Natural Science and to
take in a ballgame at Minute Maid Park, known in these parts as the Juice
Box. You can register for any of these starting May 1 at
https://nfbtx.org/tours. This link will not go live until that date. The
deadline for registration and payment will be June 15 unless tour tickets
are sold out before that date. The Houston Museum of Natural Science tour
will happen on July 1. We are still negotiating the best date for the Space
Center Houston tour, but it should be June 30 or July 1. The game between
the Astros and the Seattle Mariners will occur on July 7. That means those
wishing to attend should plan their departure after that date.

I hope these suggestions make a difference to you because I want to have the
opportunity to welcome you into the heart of Texas. Remember to call us if
you need us. You can reach our affiliate by calling 281-968-7733.

----------

#NFB23 Give $20 Drawing – Aira Provides Challenge Grant

Each year, thousands of Federation members contribute before and during
national convention to various funds that support blind people. In 2023,
your generosity is still needed to fund our great programs. When you give
$20 or more between May 1 and July 6, 3:00 p.m. Central Time, you will be
entered into the Give $20 Convention Drawing. Each $20 increment is a chance
to win.

Even better, Aira, the leading provider of visual interpreting, has
generously offered to double your dollars by matching up to $25,000.

“My mom sent me an application to speak at my high school’s upcoming
graduation. Since the application was not accessible, I placed a free call
to Aira and had the information I needed to fill it out in minutes. I
appreciate that AIRA provides information access when other methods are
inefficient for me, and I appreciate AIRA’s support of the National
Federation of the Blind”

When you contribute to Give $20, you’ll be entered to win:

*	Roundtrip transportation for two for the 2024 NFB National
Convention
*	Hotel at the convention
*	Registration and banquet tickets for two
*	$1,000 in walking-around cash

Or

*	$2,000 cash.

The campaign supports several funds:

Kenneth Jernigan Fund: The proceeds from this fund are used to bring
attendees to their first national convention. It is named for Dr. Jernigan
who planned our conventions for more than forty years and who did so much to
make them what they are today.

SUN Fund: These funds are being set aside for a rainy day.

White Cane Fund: These dollars go directly to the general treasury of the
Federation.

tenBroek Fund: These dollars go to the tenBroek Memorial Fund which owns the
property at 200 East Wells at Jernigan Place in Baltimore for the benefit of
blind people.

How to contribute and qualify

You must specify a fund to enter the drawing. You can do this by using our
Give $20 online donation form
<https://nfb.org/civicrm/contribute/transact?reset=1&id=45>
(https://nfb.org/civicrm/contribute/transact?reset=1&id=45) or in the
memo if giving by check. Choose one of the funds outlined above. Your
donation will be counted for the drawing regardless of which fund you
designate. If you are not sure which fund to elect, please select our White
Cane Fund as it allows the most flexibility to meet changing organizational
needs.

*	Give to the #NFB23 Give $20
<https://nfb.org/civicrm/contribute/transact?reset=1&id=45>
(https://nfb.org/civicrm/contribute/transact?reset=1&id=45) campaign
online by using our Give $20 contribution form
*	Give via phone by calling our donation line at 410-659-9314,
extension 2430
*	Send a check to National Federation of the Blind Jernigan Institute,
200 East Wells Street, Baltimore, MD 21230. Be sure to have #Give20 and the
fund you are donating to in the memo.

Note: The drawing is for individuals and is not intended for contributions
by divisions, state affiliates, or chapters.

Help us share the Federation with others. Thank you for your generosity!

----------

[PHOTO/CAPTION: Donald Porterfield]

Resolution Reminders

by Donald Porterfield

>From the Editor: One of the toughest jobs one can have at our national
convention is to chair the National Federation of the Blind’s Resolutions
Committee. Our longtime chair Sharon Maneki did a wonderful job, one
performed with such distinction that many Federationists have never known
another person to occupy this job. Work starts before the convention with
advertising the process, where to send resolutions, and the deadline for
receiving them. Then the chair must detail the exceptions—oh yes, we must
have exceptions when we have rules. Then comes seeing that each resolution’s
meaning is clear, that the grammar is correct, and then getting the
resolutions to the committee for its consideration and possible changes
prior to the convention. Next comes chairing the committee meeting, seeing
that all of the resolutions are read and voted on, and then getting them to
the staff who will be responsible for moving them forward so they become the
reality we want.

Donald Porterfield is the new chair of this committee. Like many new folks,
he has large shoes to fill, but he is smart, enthusiastic, and very
accustomed to doing a lot of work. Here is what he has to say about the
resolutions process:

Do you want to make a difference in the lives of blind people today and in
the future? Do you think we should change a government policy, take a stand
concerning an agency for the blind, or create new regulations? If you do,
consider writing a resolution. Here are a few reminders to help you, as well
as some questions to think about when writing a resolution.

*	Has a resolution already been written on your subject? If so, are
you really adding something new?

*	Is the resolution necessary, or would a letter from the National
President accomplish your goal? For example, a letter from the National
President commending an organization might be a better alternative than a
resolution.

*	Did you do your research to ensure the accuracy of the resolution?
*	If the subject of the resolution would be of interest to a division,
did you discuss your resolution with the division president?

If you need some pointers on the format or construction of a resolution,
consult the article “Time to Write Resolutions” in the May 2021 edition of
the Braille Monitor.

Please be mindful of our deadlines. To ensure that your resolution will be
considered by the committee, please send it to President Riccobono or to me
by June 1, 2023, one month before the committee meeting. Since things are
always busy leading up to the convention, we appreciate you sending them
earlier. If you send a resolution to me by email and do not receive a
response acknowledging your email in two or three days, please call me at
520-850-2180 or send it again. If you miss the deadline, you must get three
members of the committee to sponsor your resolution and then get it to the
chairman before the meeting begins. I will be pleased to accept resolutions
by email at resolutions at nfb.org <mailto:resolutions at nfb.org>  or by mail at
7360 E. Vactor Ranch Trl, Tucson, AZ 85715.

All resolutions will be placed on the NFB website shortly before the
committee meets at convention on July 1. This procedure will give the
membership a chance to look over the resolutions before the meeting and
lobby the committee members to support or defeat the resolutions.

The job of the membership is to make sure the committee has resolutions to
consider. I look forward to receiving your resolution.

----------

[PHOTO/CAPTION: Debbie Wunder]

How the Medical Device Nonvisual Accessibility Act Has Turned Me into an
Impassioned Advocate

by Debbie Wunder

>From the Editor: Debbie is the president of the Diabetes Action Network, and
her commitment to helping diabetics realize they can manage their diabetes
is second to none. Her confidence in pressuring the Congress of the United
States is a work in progress, but she has it on her radar as she clearly
says here. We need the Medical Device Nonvisual Accessibility Act, and she’s
going to give her all to see we get it:

Talking about laws and the Congress is intimidating, but the Medical Device
Nonvisual Accessibility Act forced me to move into the uncomfortable and
what (for me) was once the unthinkable area of public policy.

I am an insulin-dependent diabetic. I know lots of us because I serve as the
president of the Diabetes Action Network (DAN). I have been pushed out of my
comfort zone in this position, to which I was elected by my peers. Others
began trusting me to advocate on their behalf. Drugs with inaccessible
labels, medications that are difficult (or impossible) to measure, and
blood-sugar-monitoring equipment all conspire to make blind people dependent
on others. Some of these things are changing. We can now measure our insulin
and other medications, and many of those medications are now labeled
accessibly.

Far too often, getting the technology we need is still difficult and
sometimes impossible. Monitoring blood sugar used to take a needle stick,
putting blood on a strip, and then inserting that strip into a machine. A
blind person would hope all the while that they got enough blood to be
measured, because doing so was difficult. If not, they would have to resign
themselves to the pain of going back to step one. Now, there are at least
two continuous glucose-monitoring devices that require a stick only once
every ten or fourteen days. The catch is that the readers sold for these
sensors aren't usable without vision. Thankfully, those of us with
smartphones can read the sensors to measure our blood sugar and be alerted
when our levels are dangerously low or unhealthily high. We determine how
much insulin to take (usually through shots) based on these readings.

The better way to regulate blood sugar is through the use of insulin
pumps—devices that quickly give insulin before blood sugar varies enough to
require much medication. A person must wait until blood sugar goes above 180
before injecting a shot to drop it to 120 or less. The insulin pump begins
the flow of insulin when the sugar starts rising and stops when it starts
returning to the desired level. This does a far better job of keeping blood
sugar within an acceptable range, resulting in less damage and a longer
life.

This is great technology, but not so much for blind people. No unit on the
market talks. Not one reliably beeps to indicate the increment of the level
being adjusted. Few are easy to load with insulin or to monitor when
additional insulin is required. Of the few blind people I know who use
insulin pumps, even fewer can do so independently. For many of us, the
challenges and dangers are just too great.

The problem is more than caring for ourselves. I was my mother’s caretaker
for a time. She needed me to administer oxygen and many medications. Neither
of the machines she used gave a single clue as to the way a blind person
should regulate their output. Often she was unable to make these adjustments
for herself, so I gambled. Having to guess and to hope that I was right was
nerve-wracking. A single wrong guess would have put her in danger.

The Medical Device Nonvisual Accessibility Act can change all of this. When
the law mandates that devices must talk, beep, and have accessible controls,
every blind person will have more independence. But this law will change
more than just technology. It will help change the perception that blind
patients cannot take care of themselves and must consequently be taken care
of. It will change the idea that blindness equals dependence, and that
dependence means reliance on others for important medical care. The passage
of this act will attack both the visible problem of inaccessibility and the
attitudinal problem that causes inaccessibility to not only exist, but to
persist. We must take charge of our technology, rather than be subjected to
continual dependence because of it. We must do it for ourselves and for
those we love who need us. Therefore, I will take on the law, participate in
its introduction, push for its progression through the Congress, and press
as it moves from a statute to an implemented law complete with regulations
and adherence. Then I will stop talking about the need. I will start talking
about the way we use the law. We will put technology to work for us, rather
than making us victims in the beautiful age of digital machines that should
bring access to all of us the world over.

----------

[PHOTO/CAPTION: Marc Maurer]

Back to Notre Dame

An Address Delivered by President Marc Maurer, National Federation of the
Blind at the Banquet of the Annual Convention Phoenix, Arizona, July 2, 1987

>From the Editor: One of the things we do in the Braille Monitor is tell our
readers what is happening in the present. Another is to dream together about
what we will do our best to make happen in the future. But an equally
important function of this publication is to remind us of our past, to
rejoice in our victories, and to understand just how much we still have to
do in order to have equity or equality of opportunity.

For many of us, living each day not only means dealing with what is said and
done, but reacting for better or worse to what has in the past been said and
done. Not a week goes by without me remembering my grandmother telling me
that, when I was an adult, the welfare would have to visit me each day to
make sure my teeth were brushed and my face was clean. I was dismissive
until one day she stopped me before I went out the door, put a rag on my
face, and told me about the toothpaste that she was removing. I was haunted
until I realized that the sequence should not be to wash the face and then
brush the teeth but should be reversed. So there are times in my life when
that memory still haunts me, when I secretly wonder if I can really be as
independent as I think. Though I have never been to Notre Dame, I share the
experience of going back; in my case it is back to grandmother’s house, the
toothbrush and the washcloth. I hope readers enjoy the first of the banquet
speeches presented by Former President Maurer:

Once in a great while there comes a dramatic change—an event so striking in
its effect that forever after a new direction is inevitable. But more often,
change does not have the appearance of drama. Instead, there is a slight
shift in emphasis—an alteration of mood. Often the change that tips the
scale is so slight that (at the time it occurs) it is completely
unrecognized. Only later, with the long view of history, can it be seen that
this was the particular moment, the watershed, the critical juncture.

Today, the world (whether Christian or non-Christian) counts time from the
birth of Christ; but twenty centuries ago, at the time the event occurred,
the vast majority of Roman citizens were totally unaware of it. Even if they
had known, it would have seemed of no significance.

Fire is generally regarded as the essence of drama. Flames shoot dozens
(even hundreds) of feet into the air, but fire is merely oxidation at a
rapid rate. Although it is momentarily spectacular, its consequences are far
less significant than those of other forms of oxidation. In the total range
of rust, rot, leaf mold, and metabolism, fire is (so to speak) only a flash
in the pan, a momentary aberration. Of vastly more importance to the people
of the world are the slow, unspectacular chemical changes which take place
every day—the oxidation of millions of tons of matter, occurring so slowly
as to pass without comment.

This does not mean that drama is unimportant, that fire can be dismissed
with a shrug and a yawn. Nor does it mean that the actions of everyday life
have no effect or drama. The events which cause hope and despair, joy and
depression, are of tremendous significance even when they pass unnoticed and
without remark. The process of quiet but dramatic change is an integral part
of being human. It is also the very essence of the National Federation of
the Blind. The cumulative effect of the drama without fanfare which is
reflected in the growth of our movement and the lives of its members is
perhaps more spectacular than any other single event which the decades have
brought, regardless of how pivotal and far-reaching that event may have
seemed at the moment.

In 1940 Dr. Jacobus tenBroek and a handful of others formed the National
Federation of the Blind. Only later was it fully recognized that these
pioneers had done something so dramatic that the lives of the blind
throughout the world would never again be the same. The spirit which came
into being at our founding in Wilkes-Barre, Pennsylvania, took root quietly.
There was no roll of drums, no clap of thunder, no blazing fire to celebrate
the event—only Dr. tenBroek and the small group who gathered with him to
dream and plan for the future and take the first steps toward making it
happen. They did not—indeed, could not—know what the final outcome would be.
They were people of discernment and tremendous insight, but they could not
have imagined that from that humble beginning would spring the organized
blind movement of today—the powerful fifty thousand-member National
Federation of the Blind which we have become and now are. Still, they
believed—that a future could be created, that the years would not slip away
with only emptiness for the blind, that it was possible for the blind to
build and grow and come together in one great family. That dream, that
faith, has partly been realized—but the road stretches far ahead, and the
rest is for us to do. And we will do it. We will do it by education and
unspectacular change if we can. We will do it by more dramatic means if we
must—but we will do it. As Dr. Jernigan has so often said: We are simply no
longer willing to be second-class citizens.

For forty-seven years we have been working quietly (and sometimes not so
quietly) to win our way to first-class status in society. There have, of
course, been public demonstrations, dramatic confrontations, and historic
documents; but these have not been the primary vehicles of change and
accomplishment. Instead, the individual hopes and dreams of blind people—the
cumulative effect of their unspectacular daily decisions and actions—have
come together to create the positive and powerful force which is represented
here tonight. No one who is in this room or who is in any way connected with
affairs of the blind needs to be told what that force is. It is the National
Federation of the Blind.

When I joined the Federation in 1969, there had already been twenty-nine
years of hard, dedicated work; and the results were plain. The Federation
had built a solid record of accomplishment. There was a body of literature
about blindness which undergirded and gave direction to our efforts. The
ideas and basic assumptions contained in the writings of Dr. tenBroek and
Dr. Jernigan had been put to the test. There was no doubt that blind people
could compete successfully in business or the professions. The programs of
the Federation had demonstrated that this was not speculation but fact. The
theories worked. Blind people got jobs. The question was not if or whether
but how and when. The problem of 1969 was to expand the scope of our
activities. We needed more than a demonstration. We needed opportunity, and
not just for a few.

In 1969, as I came to be part of the movement, I did not know that these
things were true. Only in retrospect did I know it. In one sense I did not
(when I joined this movement) understand the organization at all, but even
in my ignorance, the Federation spoke to me with quiet force. For the first
time in my life what I thought made a difference. It was absolutely
astonishing to me that this was so—that anyone would do something because I,
a blind person, wanted it done. I did not understand the reason for such
unusual behavior, or appreciate its significance; and although I was
fascinated with the Federation, I must confess that I did not think it would
change my life—at least, not very much.

As I was growing up, I (like all others, blind and sighted alike) was
conditioned by my culture and society. I hoped that there would be something
interesting or important for me to do, but I was afraid that blindness might
keep me from it. When I came to the Federation, I found blind people working
and making substantive contributions. I was told that blindness need not be
a terrible limitation. I hoped that the Federation was right, but I had
doubts. Nevertheless, I said that I believed, and I tried to act as though I
did. It was only later that I realized (with something of a shock) that the
belief had come to be a reality in my life—and a good while before I
recognized it.

Dr. Jernigan taught me about blindness and the organized blind movement—and
there were others. I talked with blind people who were lawyers, teachers,
factory workers, and farmers. At Federation meetings blind leaders spoke of
the power of collective action. Soon I began to repeat what those around me
were saying: that blindness could be reduced to the level of a physical
nuisance, that with proper training and opportunity the average blind person
could do the average job in the average place of business—in short that it
was respectable to be blind.

Then, I went to college at Notre Dame—and it was a sudden plunge into ice
water. On a campus with six thousand other students, I found myself
completely isolated and alone. I could not find a single other person who
understood what I thought I understood or believed what I said I believed,
the simple truth that blind people had capacity and could compete. I met no
one else who thought it was respectable to be blind. The coach in the
athletic department told me that I should not take any gym classes because I
might get hurt. When signing up for an accounting course, I was praised by
the professor for my great courage. Then (without even changing gears) the
professor promised me a good grade. I got the idea that I did not have to
earn it, that just being there and being courageous would be enough. I
worked hard to deserve that grade, and I worked hard for the other grades I
got, too. It was an unforgettable experience; and although I have physically
returned to that campus only once since graduation, I have (sociologically
speaking) been back to Notre Dame many times through the years.

That first semester I learned with real force (I might say with dramatic
force) that blindness could not stop me, but I also learned that prejudice
and misunderstanding might. Something had to be done. The situation was
intolerable. All of those professors and students had to be told. I needed
help. I needed the National Federation of the Blind. As the years at the
university passed, I became increasingly active in our movement. My
priorities crystallized and became clear.

After college I did graduate work, and in 1977 I finished law school. In
1978, with the help of Federation members, I got a job in the office of the
General Counsel at the Civil Aeronautics Board. With my philosophy and
idealism in hand, I went to that job willing and anxious to work. I wanted
to give of my time, my effort, and my energy. I wanted to advance myself and
the cause of the blind. The Civil Aeronautics Board made United States civil
aviation policy. Here, I thought, is an opportunity for me to do something
really useful. However, I soon discovered that a pattern existed—a pattern
which reminded me of the professor who told me that I was courageous, and
promised me a good grade. I felt right at home. It was just like being back
at Notre Dame.

My assignments were almost always routine. If there was a trip to London for
an international negotiation, somebody else was asked to go. If a hearing
officer needed to take testimony in a small town to determine the
feasibility of air service, I was never sent. These assignments (calculated
to vary the routine) were highly prized and much sought after. Others went
while I stayed home—and was courageous. Sometimes there was not enough
routine work to fill my day. So I was left to occupy my time as I chose. My
superiors would have been content if I had spent my time listening to the
radio or reading. They would have been content—but I would not have been
content. I did not want the rest of my life to be a sham and a deception, a
guaranteed succession of endless raises and lack of meaningful work.
Discrimination is not necessarily confined to the job interview or the entry
level. It can also happen after employment is permanent and safe.

My job with the federal government was absolutely secure. It would have
lasted until retirement through a long and restful life. There was something
else: we all tend to be conditioned by our environment. I knew that if I
stayed long enough and my salary became high enough, I might begin to
succumb to temptation and rationalize. I might become accustomed to the lack
of useful activity and gradually lose my initiative, my sense of values, my
perspective, my willingness to leave, and my soul.

Not only had the Federation taught me about blindness but also about
self-examination, objectivity, and perspective. In 1981 I left the Civil
Aeronautics Board to start my own law practice. I knew that I might starve,
but I also knew that if I starved, it would be a starvation of the body and
not of the soul. I knew that I would be free, and not a token or a cipher.
Slavery does not have to be a matter of chains and whips. It can also be a
captivity of the mind and a shackling of the spirit. Every person in this
room can give testimony to that. We in the Federation have cut our teeth on
it, and we never stop learning it. On a daily basis we continue to teach it
to ourselves and each other, and we give it in strong doses to new recruits.
This is why some, who do not understand our philosophy, call us militant.

In the practice of law my dream that I might do something worthwhile and
useful came true. Again, Federation members and leaders helped and
encouraged me. As part of my practice I frequently found myself representing
blind persons. The textbooks tell us that American law is based on fairness
and justice regardless of who is involved or what the circumstances may be.
My job was to help make this principle applicable to the blind as well as
the sighted.

When I represented blind people, my opponents were often major employers,
airlines, departments of government, or agencies doing work with the blind.
Although the approaches of these different entities might vary, their
opinions about blindness usually did not. Whether it was an airline, an
employer, a department of government, or a service agency for the blind,
what they said about blindness was always just about the same. I felt right
at home. It was exactly like being back at Notre Dame. The blind are
courageous; they will get a good grade; no need to work; and plenty of
meaningless assignments. Of course, when I insisted on equal treatment for
my clients, attitudes hardened. Those across the table now thought the blind
(and that included me) were ungrateful, unreasonable, and unrealistic—not
courageous at all but just plain radical and militant.

If (after my experiences at Notre Dame and the Civil Aeronautics Board)
anything else was needed to confirm me in my opinion that the National
Federation of the Blind was not only needed but necessary, I found it in the
practice of law. It is not that people mean to be unreasonable or that they
are deliberately cruel. Rather, it is that they have the ancient fear of the
dark and that they equate blindness with darkness, and darkness with evil
and lack of ability to perform. Despite the progress we have made (and we
have made a great deal of it), regressive attitudes about blindness are
unfortunately still the norm.

The director of sales for Elsafe Hawaii, Incorporated (a company that
markets safes), writes to say that he is selling a special safe for the
blind. He says:

I would like to take this opportunity to acquaint you with this product, as
it seems to be particularly well suited to the needs of the blind. This safe
is operated by means of a combination that is entered via a keypad identical
to a standard telephone keypad. There are no keys required for normal
operation—and, therefore, nothing to lose. I would like to make the members
of your organization aware of this product.

The conclusion is inevitable. This man believes that the blind, incompetent
as we are, cannot keep track of the simplest objects—including keys. To help
the unfortunate blind he wants to sell us special safes, but one wonders if
he understands the implications of his own letter. If blind people cannot
manage keys, how can we collect anything of sufficient value to put into his
safe?

A radio commercial from the Corning Glass Company for CORLON lenses opens
with a man speaking to a coat rack. He does not possess CORLON lenses, so he
mistakes the coat rack for an assistant in the eye doctor's office. As the
commercial proceeds, the man causes a stir by almost sitting (inadvertently)
on the lap of a lady in the waiting room. Without the lenses he cannot see
her. Finally, this poor unfortunate (blinded by the absence of CORLON
lenses) attempts to leave the office through a closet and becomes completely
befuddled. Sight, according to this advertisement, is required to prevent a
person from mistaking a coat rack for a human, from becoming lost in a
closet, and from social blunders such as sitting in other people's laps. The
inescapable conclusion is that blindness means almost total helplessness
with a dash of buffoonery thrown in for good measure. I cannot recall having
spoken recently to a coat rack, and I doubt that you can; nor do I think the
reason why blind people sit in laps is usually that they do not know what
they are doing. We are frequently exploited by companies which take
advantage of the stereotypes about us to sell products, regardless of the
truth of their claims or the harm they do.

The Konica Medical Corporation of Wayne, New Jersey, provides darkroom
equipment to hospitals. Not long ago, Konica became aware of two blind
people working as darkroom technicians in a Florida medical center. As a
gesture of good will, Konica issued a press release about the valuable work
of these two blind employees. The release said in part, "Visually Impaired
Technicians Find Rewarding Careers at Medical Center." The article went on
to say, "Imagine, if you can, what it would be like to live without the
ability to see the world around you. Simple tasks like walking, eating, and
reading would take on a whole new complexity."

As I studied this press release, I felt conflicting emotions. The headline
tells us that blind people are at work in rewarding careers at a hospital;
and even though I think blind people are often pushed toward the darkroom in
the mistaken belief that the absence of ordinary light makes this job
especially suitable for them, I recognize that darkroom work is a useful
activity in a competitive occupation. But the body of the release ruins the
headline and takes it all away. It declares that the blind have trouble with
the most mundane tasks. Is it really so hard for us to walk? And how about
eating? We don't seem to have had much trouble at this banquet. Of course,
reading requires the use of alternative techniques such as Braille,
recordings, sighted readers, and the like; but even here the situation is
more a matter of coping than crying.

The message of the companies in private industry is based on a common theme.
They say that blind people are different and less able than others. Even
when these companies attempt to be positive and offer commendation, they say
that we cannot do anything as well as the sighted and that we are very
limited, very special, very deprived, very brave, and very subnormal. People
with this kind of attitude refer to the blind and other groups as
"handicapable" and "physically challenged," and they use other such cutesy
euphemisms—euphemisms which are uncalled for, unhealthy, unhelpful,
unconvincing, and unbecoming.

But if private industry is uninformed, having relatively little exposure to
the blind and facts about blindness, surely the agencies doing work with the
blind are more enlightened. One would think so, but as we have learned to
our cost, the exact opposite is often the case. Consider, for instance, the
South Carolina Commission for the Blind. That agency was brought into being
in the mid-1960s through the efforts of Don Capps and the other leaders of
the National Federation of the Blind of South Carolina. There was also
assistance from beyond the borders of the state. Dr. Jernigan went to South
Carolina to testify before the committee which the legislature had
established to study the matter, and a leading South Carolina legislator
came to Iowa to examine the programs which Dr. Jernigan was operating at the
State Commission for the Blind. Justifiably the blind of South Carolina
regard the Commission for the Blind as theirs.

Imagine, then, how they feel (and how responsible staff members at the South
Carolina Commission feel) when an official publication of the Commission
embodies the worst of the harmful stereotypes about blindness and is
massively circulated throughout the state. They are understandably outraged.
But let the brochure speak for itself. It consists of fifty-eight so-called
"helpful suggestions for families and friends of blind persons," grouped
under six headings as follows: "General," "With People," "In the House,"
"Traveling," "Guiding," and "At the Table." You may have thought that the
proposition in the Konica news release (that eating for a blind person takes
on special complexity) was simply to be dismissed as the chatter of a
well-intentioned kook.

Listen, then, to the experts. Here is what the South Carolina brochure says
about eating. Twelve "helpful suggestions" are listed under the heading "At
the Table." I can do no better than give them to you as they come, word for
word from the brochure. Here they are:

1. Maintain usual standards. 2. Tell him what is in the dish or on the plate
which is being passed. 3. Don't pass things across in front of the blind
person. Expect him to share in the passing of food. 4. Address the blind
person directly so that he will know that he is being asked to pass
something. 5. Mention what is on his plate so that he will know how to
handle the food. 6. At first, if he wishes it, cut meat, and butter the
bread. 7. Get in the habit of placing the meat to the front of his plate. It
is easier to cut there. 8. Use good-sized napkins. 9. Don't make unnecessary
comments when food is spilled. 10. If food is spilled on clothing, mention
it casually so that it can be removed at once. 11. Ask the individual if he
wants sugar or cream as these are difficult for him to serve himself unless
the sugar is in lump form and the cream in individual pitchers. 12. When
serving food, mention where it has been placed so the individual will not
accidentally knock over a glass, paper cup, sherbet (sic), cup and saucer,
etc.

Although these "helpful suggestions for family and friends" cannot, by any
stretch of the imagination, be called subtle, the pamphlet does not say
precisely what it means. Let me offer the writers at the South Carolina
Commission for the Blind some "helpful suggestions" of my own. Let me say in
clear statements what their pamphlet necessarily implies, and what (though
they might deny it) I think they really mean. Keep in mind that they are
talking about you and me. Here, then, is the truthful rewrite:

"Maintain usual standards." You do not need to be sloppy just because a
blind person (who will undoubtedly be sloppy) is at the table.

"Don't pass things across in front of the blind person. Expect him to share
in the passing of food." The blind person, just like a three-year-old, will
be flattered if you let him help. If he isn't motivated by the flattery, you
may have to prod him a little.

"Mention what is on his plate so that he will know how to handle the food."
The blind person is probably not accustomed to eating in polite society and
will likely not be able to identify food without your help. In any case, it
is your responsibility, not the blind person's.

"Use good-sized napkins." Of course, the blind person will be messy and
spill things, and you must look out for him or her. After all, it is your
responsibility. Certainly the blind person is not in charge. You are.

"Ask the individual if he wants sugar or cream as these are difficult for
him to serve himself unless the sugar is in lump form and the cream in
individual pitchers." After all, the blind person can't ask for what he
wants. You must take the initiative and take care of him.

When I first came across this brochure, I felt that I had gone back to Notre
Dame, for it deals with something much more far-reaching than table talk. It
embodies a whole way of life, an entire philosophy, and a complete cultural
tradition. Through every line is the implicit assumption that somebody else
is in charge and that even if the home and the table belong to the blind
person, he or she is no longer in control, no longer the host, no longer an
equal among equals. If you are still not convinced after all you have heard,
consider these other samples from the pamphlet. Here they are exactly as
they appear:

Talk and act naturally when with a blind person. Be frank. If he needs to
shine his shoes, tell him so. Do not needlessly hurry a blind person. He
will appreciate a calm approach to the matter in hand. Let him do everything
possible for himself. In helping a blind person, do not make him conspicuous
by the way you do things. Read his mail promptly and refrain from commenting
on the content of the letter unless requested to do so. A second reading is
often appreciated. Refrain from uncouthness in the presence of a blind
person; he can hear you picking your teeth. Be alert but restrained; do not
startle a blind person needlessly. Don't let a blind person's hand dangle in
the air. If obviously it is his purpose to shake hands, grasp his hand and
greet him. Don't limit your knowledge and interest in the blind generally to
the blind mendicant who is sometimes a social parasite from choice. Do not
patronize blind persons; they're 'just regular people' more than you
realize. In conversation, address the blind person by name if he is the one
expected to reply. Otherwise, he may not know the remark is being directed
to him. Leave the possessions of a blind person where they have placed them
unless you indicate specifically where they may find them. When traveling,
describe interesting and beautiful scenes. Comment casually on sensations
which blind persons can enjoy such as pleasant odors, a cooling breeze, the
tinkle of a brook, etc. When taking an individual into a restroom indicate
position of toilet, paper, washbowl, soap, and towels. When walking with a
blind person, mention familiar landmarks so that he can get his bearings.
Don't push a blind person ahead of you. Walk straight across the street. To
do so diagonally may cause the blind person to trip when reaching the curb.

There you have in summation the philosophy of the South Carolina Commission
for the Blind, and I believe that I have never in all of my life seen such a
concentrated dose of distortion and false notions. Is it any wonder that the
blind of the state are at war with the agency? How could it be otherwise?

I have no doubt that Don Capps and the other Federationists in South
Carolina will teach the Commission a new way of looking at blindness. Our
role may not be as limited or our temperament as passive as the South
Carolina custodians think.

And, of course, it is not just South Carolina. There are other agencies in
other states. Consider, for instance, the Mary Bryant Home for Blind Men and
Women, located in Springfield, Illinois. Keep in mind, as I describe this
facility to you, that it is not a place exclusively designed for the
elderly. It is meant for the young as well. I feel it necessary to make this
point since otherwise you might have difficulty believing what you are about
to hear.

Therefore, I offer in evidence a letter dated March 23rd, 1987, to directors
of rehabilitation agencies in a number of Midwestern states. The letter is
signed by the Administrator of the Mary Bryant Home, who has the rather
intriguing name of Frances Trees.

The letter says:

Dear Director:

As you are aware, there comes a time in the lives of many visually impaired
persons when they are unable to live independently. Some younger persons
return to their homes following their education from a school for the
visually impaired. In many cases, these young men and women are returning to
homes where both parents are employed outside the home, and find themselves
staying alone all day with nothing to do.

Some older persons no longer have a support system to aid and assist them to
live independently. Many are sent inappropriately to nursing homes, where
they are often endangered by not being able to protect themselves.

The Mary Bryant Home is a resource I wish you would consider when it comes
to assisting individuals or families to deal with the issue of placement....
Currently our residents range in age from 24 to 96 years of age....

Sincerely,

Frances J. Trees

Administrator

As we examine what the Mary Bryant Home says about itself, remember that
some of the residents are as young as twenty-four and that they are at the
Mary Bryant facility because, as Administrator Trees says, "these young men
and women are returning to homes where both parents are employed outside the
home, and find themselves staying alone all day with nothing to do." Here
are direct quotes from the packet of literature sent by Administrator Trees
to the rehabilitation directors:

The building is rectangular in shape, which allows the residents to walk in
a circular pattern for exercise—especially during inclement weather.... The
home is arranged for convenience, on one level—no stairs.... Handrails are
installed throughout the home.... Our full and part-time staff provide
round-the-clock service to the residents seeing to their health, safety,
nutritional, recreational and emotional needs....

Leave of absence may be taken by residents for a short period of time
providing the person taking the resident out sign a release of
responsibility for injuries, accidents, or illnesses which might occur
during the time they are away from the Mary Bryant Home.... Personal
property, other than clothing, may be brought to the home only with the
prior approval of the Administrator....

Food is prohibited in the resident rooms. BEER, WINE, AND OTHER INTOXICATING
LIQUORS: Only when approved by the resident's physician please, and all
items of this nature are to be kept at the Medicine Room, not in resident's
room.... Incoming calls for residents may be received on the house phones,
but it would cause less confusion and less interruption if these calls were
to be made between the hours of 1:00 p.m. and 4:30 p.m.... Visiting hours
are from 10:00 a.m. to 8:00 p.m. Visits will be restricted when adversely
indicated in the opinion of the resident's physician and so documented in
the resident's clinical record....

Smoking in resident rooms is prohibited for both residents and visitors.
Residents who are capable of handling smoking supplies with safety may smoke
in the activity room, and we request visitors to smoke only in these areas
also....

There is more, much more—but I think I have given you enough to make the
point. Any self-respecting blind person faced with such an outrageous
conglomeration of insulting rules, directives, requirements, and
restrictions would walk out the door three minutes after arriving. Of
course, most blind people that I know would resist going to such a facility
in the first place. With all of the work we have done to change public
attitudes, many people still feel that the blind should live in segregated
homes, or sometimes nursing homes. In this connection I recently received
the following letter:

Dear Sir:

My mother has been legally blind for about twenty years. During all that
time she has been in a nursing home in Rochester, Indiana, and she is only
forty-three years old. She has not in all that time had any training that
the blind need, such as how to read Braille. The nursing home has been her
only world because of her inability to get around. I feel my mother
desperately needs help. She needs to be taught the things the blind need to
function in society. She is much too young to be in a nursing home.

I wonder if the National Federation of the Blind can help in this matter. I
don't have money or the know-how to assist her, and I was told maybe you
could help. She's wanting to get out of the nursing home.

Sincerely yours,

Twenty years of a person's life is a long time—and for this woman (and many
others like her) those twenty years are a bleak memory of twisted hell—of
desolation, pain, and lack of opportunity. We in the National Federation of
the Blind are organized to make it absolutely certain that brochures like
the one issued by the South Carolina Commission for the Blind stop being
written, that facilities like the Mary Bryant Home either change their
philosophy or go out of business, and that blind men and women have
something better to do with their lives than go into nursing homes in their
twenties. We are committed to changing public attitudes so that
manufacturers will not believe that we cannot keep track of our keys, so
that companies can no longer get away with picturing us as helpless and
pathetic unless we have eyeglasses, and so that the public will no longer
tolerate advertisements which exploit the concept that we are especially
suited to work in the dark. We are determined to educate not merely the
public at large but also our fellow blind and ourselves—and, of course, we
are doing it.

On Saturday, May 23rd, of this year I did not physically leave Baltimore—but
on that day (as I have so often done) I went back to Notre Dame. I was in a
clothing store, trying on the very suit I am wearing tonight. At a critical
juncture in the fitting, the salesman said to the sighted person who was
with me: "Can you take off his shoes?" I suppose I don't need to tell you
that I did not walk barefooted to Notre Dame. I removed my own shoes.

The changes we are making in public attitudes often seem slow and long in
coming, but (like oxidation) they remove more trash and debris than the
flames of spectacular conflagration. Since our founding in 1940 we have
removed a tremendous amount of garbage—some by conflagration, and a great
deal more by steady oxidation. We also (even those of us who have never been
to Indiana) continue to return to Notre Dame—but (thankfully) the visits are
becoming fewer and farther between.

For those of us who are blind, the world holds more promise today than ever
before in history. It is not that incidents of the kind I have described are
more numerous now than they formerly were. Rather, it is that we are more
aware of them and more prepared to take appropriate action. Once they were
universal. Now, they are only usual. But since 1940 there has been a new
element, a new force which has changed the balances. You know what it is as
well as I do. It is the National Federation of the Blind. As everyone in
this room knows, we are thoroughly organized, fully aware of where we have
been and where we are going, and absolutely unstoppable.

No power on earth can now send us back or keep us from going the rest of the
way to freedom and first-class citizenship. We know it; our opponents know
it; and the public at large is beginning to learn it. As we approach the end
of the twentieth century, our mood is optimistic, and our hearts are joyous.
My brothers and my sisters, let us march to the future together!

----------

Monitor Miniatures

News from the Federation Family

How to Pay for Your Convention Hotel Stay

This helpful information comes from Tony Cobb, who for many years served as
a fixture in the lobby of our convention hotels. Here is an important
warning for those who may be considering how to pay for their stay:

Every year at our national convention we have serious trouble with use of
debit cards or cash payments at hotel check-in, and, having worked to solve
these problems for years, I can tell you they can nearly ruin the convention
week for those experiencing them. Planning to attend our national convention
should therefore include thinking seriously about how to pay the hotel, and
I cannot urge you strongly enough to avoid using cash or a debit card as
your payment method. Doing so may seem convenient, but you should not do so.
If you do not have a credit card of your own to use instead, prevail upon a
close friend or family member to let you use one just for convention. Here’s
why:

If you are paying in actual currency, most hotels will want enough cash up
front at check-in to cover your room and tax charges for the entire stay,
plus a one-time advance incidentals deposit to cover meals, telephone calls,
internet service, and other things you may charge to your room. The unused
portion of the incidentals deposit may be returned at check-out or by mail
after departure. Understand, however, that if your incidentals charges
exceed the incidentals deposit credited, you are responsible for payment of
the full balance at check-out. The total can end up being a very large sum
indeed.

If you use a debit card, however, you are really at a potentially painful
disadvantage. The hotel will put a hold on money in your bank account linked
to the debit card to cover the estimated balance of your stay—that is, for
the entire week’s room and tax charges plus a one-time incidentals deposit
to cover meals, movies, and so on charged to your room. You should be aware
that the hold can therefore be a considerable amount of money and that you
will not have access to that amount for any other purchases or payments with
your card. Hotels sometimes also put authorizations on credit cards, by the
way, but those are not often a problem unless they exceed your card’s credit
limit.

Holds can remain in effect for three to five days or even a week after you
check out. If you have pre-authorized payments from your bank account, for
example your monthly mortgage payment, or if you try to make a purchase with
your debit card and it's refused, the hold from the hotel can cause you
trouble or result in very large overdraft fees for payments you thought you
had money in your account to cover. I have seen this hit some of our members
in the form of hundreds of dollars in overdraft fees.

This means that, if you use a debit card, you would have to be certain you
have a high enough balance in your checking account when you come to
convention to cover any debit card holds. This is a perilous practice since
charges may exceed your estimate by a considerable amount. Some frequent
travelers even open a separate checking account used only for debits like
these. Remember, a hold is going to be placed on your debit card regardless
of how you end up paying the bill, and the hold is not necessarily released
right away, even if you pay with a credit card or cash when you check out of
the hotel.

Planning ahead in this area can ensure an untroubled week at convention,
leaving you free to enjoy fully the world’s largest and most exciting
meeting of the blind.

NFB Pledge

I pledge to participate actively in the efforts of the National Federation
of the Blind to achieve equality, opportunity, and security for the blind;
to support the policies and programs of the Federation; and to abide by its
constitution.