[NFBofSC] Positive Note 1917

Marty McKenzie marty2music at outlook.com
Mon May 8 11:00:24 UTC 2023

May 8, 2023
Memo To:  Executive Officers, Board Members, Chapter & Division Presidents & Others
From:  Marty R. McKenzie, President
Positive Note 1917
843-939-8091  marty2music at outlook.com

Dear Federation Family,

Midlands Gives was a huge success for the NFB of SC as we exceeded our generous match from the Cheerful Giver! The final total seen on Midlands Gives was $12,098.00, which exceeds all previous records. The anticipation was high as members worked to secure donations to assist us with reaching our goal. The Federation Center celebrated with food and a great deal of excitement during the Power Hour. I want to thank everyone who did anything to assist with our Midlands Gives campaign! We especially want to thank the Cheerful Giver for the generous $5,000 match given to our organization!

Rocky Bottom was also successful during Midlands Gives, winning the Power Hour competition. This earned Rocky Bottom $2,000 added to the donations given during the campaign. We appreciate all anyone did to help with the Power Hour opportunity.

David Houck shared the following. "Thursday was Star Wars Day and Friday "Cinco de Mayo," but Saturday May 6, 2023 was the 57th anniversary of when the SC Commission for the Blind was established by law as a separate state agency.  The NFB of SC made that happen and we must see that it serves the blind of South Carolina well." Congratulations to the SC Commission for the Blind for 57 years of service to the blind citizens of our state!

Registration for the National Convention is underway, and you should register if you plan to attend. The cost is $25, and a banquet ticket is $70. You must visit the banquet exchange table early in the convention to ensure that you are sitting at a table with friends if that is what you wish to do. To register, visit https://nfb.org/civicrm/event/register?reset=1&id=572. You should review the Code of Conduct prior to registering for the national convention.

The Embassy Suites is now accepting reservations for the NFB of SC State Convention, which will take place August 18-20, 2023. Rooms can be booked at $112 plus tax and any applicable fees for singles, doubles, triples and quads for August 17- 20, 2023. You may call the Embassy Suites at 803-252-8700. Members are not being charged the first night's room; instead, a hold is placed on your card until check-in.

Registration for the NFB of SC State Convention is now live!  The cost is $85 for adults, $55 for students and $30 for children under eighteen. These prices all adjust upward after August 4, 2023. Please visit www.nfbofsc.org<http://www.nfbofsc.org> to register online. If you need assistance submitting the online form, please contact me and someone will assist you. We are working on a print form for those who may need it.

Important Things to Remember:

*        Houston ticket sales drawing on May 30, 2023

*        National Convention early registration is May 31, 2023

*        National Convention Hotel deadline is May 31, 2023

*        State Convention hotel reservation deadline is July 27, 2023

*        State Convention early registration deadline is August 4, 2023

If you need additional information about any of the items above, please contact David Houck at the Federation Center at 803-254-3777. You can also contact me as shown above.

Here is David Houck's Federation Fun Fact for this week! Let's continue to read and learn together about our rich history in South Carolina.

Donald and Betty Capps first joined the Columbia Chapter in 1953. After becoming chapter President, he found it necessary to increase funding for the chapter in order to provide greater service to the blind of Greater Richland and Lexington Counties. Thus, the first Barbecue Chicken Dinner was formed which ran annually with the exception of the 2020 pandemic, which was halted for three years, this year being the 68th Barbecue. Dr. Samuel Miller Lawton was the state President at that time.

Having Spartanburg, Charleston and Columbia as its three chapters, Donald Capps wanted to expand on our outreach and began developing local chapters throughout the state including Anderson, Greenville, Florence, Blind Merchants Division, Sumter, Laurens, Rock Hill, Greenwood, Student Division. Lancaster, Conway, Oconee, Aiken, Chester, Beaufort, Union, Low Country. Pickens, Grand Strand, Marion, Kershaw, Hampton, Newberry, Cedar Springs, Cherokee, Hartsville, Georgetown, North Augusta, Kingstree, Marlboro, Summerville, Loris, Edgefield, Parents of Blind Children Division, Berkeley, Bamberg, Chesterfield, Barnwell, Dillon, Abbeville, Computer Science and Technology Division, Lee, Clarendon, Saluda, Jasper, Fairfield, McCormick, North Greenville, Easley, Allendale, Saluda, and the Hilton Head Chapter, All these were organized by the time Donald Capps stepped down as NFB of SC President in 2000.

Marty

Marty R. McKenzie, President
National Federation of the Blind of South Carolina
119 S. Kilbourne Road
Columbia, SC 29205
Phone: 803-254-3777
Mobile: 843-939-8091