[NFBofSC] Positive Note 1918

Marty McKenzie marty2music at outlook.com
Mon May 15 11:00:04 UTC 2023

May 15, 2023
Memo To:  Executive Officers, Board Members, Chapter & Division Presidents & Others
From:  Marty R. McKenzie, President
Positive Note 1918
843-939-8091  marty2music at outlook.com

Dear Federation Family,

Kenneth Jernigan scholarship announcements were released this week, and South Carolina is proud to host four recipients! Congratulations to Vincent Downing from the Spartanburg chapter, Eric Hilton of the Sumter chapter, Ronda Phillips of the Columbia chapter and Jameelah Camara of the Rock Hill chapter. Dr. Kenneth Jernigan was a wonderful leader in the NFB, and he always encouraged members to find ways to attend national conventions. The Kenneth Jernigan Scholarship Fund was established after his death in 1998 to assist first-time members with convention expenses. Scholarship winners are required to register for the national convention and the banquet, which is the final event during convention week.

Later this week, we will release finalized sponsorship letters for members to use in securing sponsorships for the upcoming state convention. The registration fee that attendees pay does not cover the cost of the convention, and we must find ways to meet our budget.  I challenge each of us to break all previous records in securing convention sponsorships. Letters will be available electronically and in print for those who prefer to have paper copies.

The NFB of SC Board is currently working to reorganize the Charleston chapter. The re-organizing meeting will take place on June 10, 2023 in North Charleston at 12:00 P.M.  and will conclude no later than 2:00 p.m. Interested members should reach out to Loretta Green, Marty McKenzie or any member of the state board. We will provide additional details in the coming weeks.

Scholarship season is upon us, and we need your assistance. Please share information about the NFB of SC scholarship program with high school seniors and current post-secondary students. Scholarships are generous, and we want to recognize those blind students who demonstrate academic excellence along with the other criteria the scholarship committee uses. The scholarship application closing date is June 20, 2023. For more information, please visit the web site at www.nfbofsc.org<http://www.nfbofsc.org> or reach out to Shannon Cook at coffeequeensc1 at sc.rr.com<mailto:coffeequeensc1 at sc.rr.com>.

Registration for the National Convention is underway, and you should register if you plan to attend. The cost is $25, and a banquet ticket is $70. You must visit the banquet exchange table early in the convention to ensure that you are sitting at a table with friends if that is what you wish to do. To register, visit https://nfb.org/civicrm/event/register?reset=1&id=572. You should review the Code of Conduct prior to registering for the national convention.

The Embassy Suites is now accepting reservations for the NFB of SC State Convention, which will take place August 18-20, 2023. Rooms can be booked at $112 plus tax and any applicable fees for singles, doubles, triples and quads for August 17- 20, 2023. You may call the Embassy Suites at 803-252-8700. Members are not being charged the first night's room; instead, a hold is placed on your card until check-in.

Registration for the NFB of SC State Convention is now live!  The cost is $85 for adults, $55 for students and $30 for children under eighteen. These prices all adjust upward after August 4, 2023. Please visit www.nfbofsc.org<http://www.nfbofsc.org> to register online. If you need assistance submitting the online form, please contact me and someone will assist you. We are working on a print form for those who may need it.

Important Things to Remember:

*        Houston ticket sales drawing on May 30, 2023

*        National Convention early registration is May 31, 2023

*        National Convention Hotel deadline is May 31, 2023

*        NFB of SC scholarship applications are due by June 20, 2023

*        State Convention hotel reservation deadline is July 27, 2023

*        State Convention early registration deadline is August 4, 2023

If you need additional information about any of the items above, please contact David Houck at the Federation Center at 803-254-3777. You can also contact me as shown above.

Here is David Houck's Federation Fun Fact for this week! Let's continue to read and learn together about our rich history in South Carolina.

Aside from Donald Capps personal accomplishments and chapter development, there were statewide services to the blind. Donald Capps served a total of 30 years as NFB of SC President.

In 1961, the Federation Center of the Blind was established as a meeting place for the blind, an educational and training center and a place where the NFB of SC could take collective action. This included Statewide Seminars, Leadership Seminars, and Legislative meetings on a variety of state issues that resulted in Legislative Luncheons, Receptions and Breakfasts which still take place today.

In 1979, Rocky Bottom Retreat and Conference Center of the Blind was developed for recreation, relaxation, and training for the blind of all ages. It was the first camping facility owned and operated by the blind in the nation.

Donald Caps also served as Vice Chair of the Board of Commissioners of the SC School for the Deaf and the Blind from 1981 to 2005. The school's 150th Anniversary Book was dedicated to Donald Capps.

Of course, this does not consider the annual state conventions which had to be planned, agendas developed and encouraging a large statewide participation. Oh yes, there was 1969 when South Carolina hosted its first and only NFB National Convention in Columbia. I believe it was the first state convention our then future NFB President Marc Maurer attended.

Marty

Marty R. McKenzie, President
National Federation of the Blind of South Carolina
119 S. Kilbourne Road
Columbia, SC 29205
Phone: 803-254-3777
Mobile: 843-939-8091