[NFBofSC] Positive Note 1919

Marty McKenzie marty2music at outlook.com
Mon May 22 11:00:37 UTC 2023

May 22, 2023
Memo To:  Executive Officers, Board Members, Chapter & Division Presidents & Others
From:  Marty R. McKenzie, President
Positive Note 1919
843-939-8091  marty2music at outlook.com

Dear Federation Family,

We begin this Positive Note with information provided by NFB of SC Sports and Recreation Division member, Amy Hatten. The NFB of SC is very proud of her accomplishments on Saturday, May 20, 2023. Please see what Amy had to share.

Amy Hatten completed her first sprint triathlon on May 20th, 2023 in Charleston at the I'On Club. She participated in the She Tris Sprint Triathlon, an all women's triathlon event, that is held every year. The triathlon consisted of a 200 yard swim in a pool, 9 mile bike ride and a 2 mile run. Prior to the triathlon, Amy participated in a 12-week training program with a nonprofit called, Tri It For Life, that is a mentoring program to prepare women for the She Tris Sprint Triathlon. Amy completed the swim portion independently using the lane divider ropes and a sound of a whistle, the bike portion on a tandem cycle and the run as a tethered run.

Congratulations, Amy, on a job well done!

As we prepare for the upcoming national convention, members should review articles written by Affiliate President, Norma Crosby. She provides useful information on airports, nearby food options, attending convention on a budget and other topics that convention attendees will find useful. Additionally, the Texas affiliate is hosting a few tours that some members may choose to participate in during their free time. Check out the April and May, 2023 Braille Monitors for additional information.

The NFB of SC Board is currently working to reorganize the Charleston chapter. The re-organizing meeting will take place on June 10, 2023 at Calvary Lutheran Church located at 1400 Manor Boulevard, Charleston, SC 29407 from 12:00 p.m. to 2:00 p.m. Interested members should reach out to Loretta Green, Marty McKenzie or any member of the state board. Interested members may also call David Houck at the Federation Center at 803-254-3777. We will provide additional details in the coming weeks.

Scholarship season is upon us, and we need your assistance. Please share information about the NFB of SC scholarship program with high school seniors and current post-secondary students. Scholarships are generous, and we want to recognize those blind students who demonstrate academic excellence along with the other criteria the scholarship committee uses. The scholarship application closing date is June 20, 2023. For more information, please visit the web site at www.nfbofsc.org<http://www.nfbofsc.org> or reach out to Shannon Cook at coffeequeensc1 at sc.rr.com<mailto:coffeequeensc1 at sc.rr.com>.

Registration for the National Convention is underway, and you should register if you plan to attend. The cost is $25, and a banquet ticket is $70. You must visit the banquet exchange table early in the convention to ensure that you are sitting at a table with friends if that is what you wish to do. To register, visit https://nfb.org/civicrm/event/register?reset=1&id=572. You should review the Code of Conduct prior to registering for the national convention.

The Embassy Suites is now accepting reservations for the NFB of SC State Convention, which will take place August 18-20, 2023. Rooms can be booked at $112 plus tax and any applicable fees for singles, doubles, triples and quads for August 17- 20, 2023. You may call the Embassy Suites at 803-252-8700. Members are not being charged the first night's room; instead, a hold is placed on your card until check-in.

Registration for the NFB of SC State Convention is now live!  The cost is $85 for adults, $55 for students and $30 for children under eighteen. These prices all adjust upward after August 4, 2023. Please visit www.nfbofsc.org<http://www.nfbofsc.org> to register online. If you need assistance submitting the online form, please contact me and someone will assist you. We are working on a print form for those who may need it.

Important Things to Remember:

*        Houston ticket sales drawing on May 30, 2023

*        National Convention early registration is May 31, 2023

*        National Convention Hotel deadline is May 31, 2023

*        NFB of SC scholarship applications are due by June 20, 2023

*        State Convention hotel reservation deadline is July 27, 2023

*        State Convention early registration deadline is August 4, 2023

If you need additional information about any of the items above, please contact David Houck at the Federation Center at 803-254-3777. You can also contact me as shown above.

Here is David Houck's Federation Fun Fact for this week! Let's continue to read and learn together about our rich history in South Carolina.

Nationally, Donald Capps served many years on the NFB Board of Directors, becoming its senior board member. He was assigned to travel to many states annually to speak as the NFB national representative at various NFB state conventions. He was assigned to survey the needs of the blind in West Virginia for its Governor. He assisted with state affiliate reorganizing in such states as New Jersey. Donald and Betty Capps attended national conventions all across the USA. In fact, they traveled in all the 50 states. He received the Jacobus tenBroek Award in 1977, and Doctor of the Federation by the NFB. He received the Outstanding Leader in Education Award from the National Public Relations Association. He attended countless Washington Seminars and appointed many potential leaders of the blind in South Carolina to the NFB Leadership Seminars. At the 2014 NFB Convention, a Donald and Betty Capps named scholarship was awarded in their honor.

Marty

Marty R. McKenzie, President
National Federation of the Blind of South Carolina
119 S. Kilbourne Road
Columbia, SC 29205
Phone: 803-254-3777
Mobile: 843-939-8091