[NFBofSC] Positive Note 1920

Marty McKenzie marty2music at outlook.com
Mon May 29 11:00:19 UTC 2023

May 29, 2023
Memo To:  Executive Officers, Board Members, Chapter & Division Presidents & Others
From:  Marty R. McKenzie, President
Positive Note 1920
843-939-8091  marty2music at outlook.com

Dear Federation Family,

It is Memorial Day weekend, and this Positive Note is being released on Memorial Day itself. Memorial Day has not always existed, but the purpose behind it should forever be recognized.  Let us take this time to honor and remember those who have given their lives for the causes in which the United States believes. Freedom to do as we please within reasonable laws, to live as we wish and to worship as we wish are things most Americans take for granted; yet they came at a very high price. Our Federation movement is similar in many ways. We came from times when blind people were viewed as unproductive and a segment of society that had to be cared for in all ways. In fact, many cultures hid their blind family members away or committed even greater atrocities. Today, because of the National Federation of the Blind, we have come to a point where we can dream of living the lives we want. There is still work to do, but every blind person in the United States has benefitted from the work of the NFB.  It doesn't matter if they never attended a chapter meeting, never donated any funds or never joined the organization. I am thankful everyday for the NFB, its leaders past and present and the great work that lets me live the life I want!

The NFB of SC Board is currently working to reorganize the Charleston chapter. The re-organizing meeting will take place on June 10, 2023 at Calvary Lutheran Church located at 1400 Manor Boulevard, Charleston, SC 29407 from 12:00 p.m. to 2:00 p.m. Interested members should reach out to Loretta Green, Marty McKenzie or any member of the state board. Interested members may also call David Houck at the Federation Center at 803-254-3777.

Scholarship season is upon us, and we need your assistance. Please share information about the NFB of SC scholarship program with high school seniors and current post-secondary students. Scholarships are generous, and we want to recognize those blind students who demonstrate academic excellence along with the other criteria the scholarship committee uses. The scholarship application closing date is June 20, 2023. For more information, please visit the web site at www.nfbofsc.org<http://www.nfbofsc.org> or reach out to Shannon Cook at coffeequeensc1 at sc.rr.com<mailto:coffeequeensc1 at sc.rr.com>.

Registration for the National Convention is underway, and you should register if you plan to attend. The cost is $25, and a banquet ticket is $70. You must visit the banquet exchange table early in the convention to ensure that you are sitting at a table with friends if that is what you wish to do. To register, visit https://nfb.org/civicrm/event/register?reset=1&id=572. You should review the Code of Conduct prior to registering for the national convention.

The Embassy Suites is now accepting reservations for the NFB of SC State Convention, which will take place August 18-20, 2023. Rooms can be booked at $112 plus tax and any applicable fees for singles, doubles, triples and quads for August 17- 20, 2023. You may call the Embassy Suites at 803-252-8700. Members are not being charged the first night's room; instead, a hold is placed on your card until check-in.

Registration for the NFB of SC State Convention is now live!  The cost is $85 for adults, $55 for students and $30 for children under eighteen. These prices all adjust upward after August 4, 2023. Please visit www.nfbofsc.org<http://www.nfbofsc.org> to register online. If you need assistance submitting the online form, please contact me and someone will assist you. We are working on a print form for those who may need it.

Important Things to Remember:

*        Houston ticket sales drawing on May 30, 2023

*        National Convention early registration is May 31, 2023

*        National Convention Hotel deadline is May 31, 2023

*        NFB of SC scholarship applications are due by June 20, 2023

*        State Convention hotel reservation deadline is July 27, 2023

*        State Convention early registration deadline is August 4, 2023

If you need additional information about any of the items above, please contact David Houck at the Federation Center at 803-254-3777. You can also contact me as shown above.

Here is David Houck's Federation Fun Fact for this week! Let's continue to read and learn together about our rich history in South Carolina.

International efforts were made by the NFB to spread the success of blind Americans throughout the world. Donald Capps was a representative of the World Blind Union, North American - Caribbean Region along with other federation leaders. He attended the meetings in Madrid, Spain, Cairo, Egypt and Melbourne, Australia. Donald Capps would often speak of the abject poverty of the blind in under developed countries where no services existed. Other countries had blind persons selling lottery tickets to make a living but there was little or no opportunity for the blind to be educated or trained to live the lives they wanted. Donald Capps would often purchase hand crafted items whereby one of the blind attendees made their living. The blind are most fortunate in this country to have so many opportunities to live the life we want. If the blind had not organized in 1940 nationally and 1944 in South Carolina, I am certain we might be in their positions as well today.

One last thing to mention: Anyone aspiring to do well as a blind leader just by accomplishing one of the last five weeks of Donald Capps accomplishments would stand out. Donald Capps with his dedication and determination to the blind set a milestone we all might try to aspire to perform.

Marty

Marty R. McKenzie, President
National Federation of the Blind of South Carolina
119 S. Kilbourne Road
Columbia, SC 29205
Phone: 803-254-3777
Mobile: 843-939-8091