[NFBofSC] Positive Note 1943

Marty McKenzie marty2music at outlook.com
Mon Nov 6 11:56:15 UTC 2023

November 6, 2023
Memo To:  Executive Officers, Board Members, Chapter & Division Presidents & Others
From:  Marty R. McKenzie, President
Positive Note 1943
843-939-8091  marty2music at outlook.com

Dear Federation Family,

November begins the last two months of the calendar year. These months are busy times for Federationist with chapter Christmas parties taking place and  family, church and work activities. For most, this is the most wonderful time of the year but not so for many others. Let us be mindful of our Federation family who may not have anyone with whom to share these special times.

I just spent four days in North Myrtle Beach where the Fall Procedures training for vision professionals and the Association of the Education and Rehabilitation of the Blind and Visually Impaired SC Chapter (SCAER) Annual Conference was held. Attendees included teachers of the visually impaired, orientation and mobility instructors, employees from the SC Commission for the Blind and others. The conference included a panel of blind adults who are employed and was based on the Where the Blind Work panel from the state convention. The panel included Federationist Belinda Banks, Derique Simon, the Honorable Parnell Diggs as well as Mary Lin Barns.

I had the honor of recognizing Dr. Shirley Madison on behalf of SCAER for her many years in the field of blindness education/rehabilitation. Dr. Madison was the director of the Orientation and Mobility Program at SC State University until it went into moratorium in 2016. Dr. Madison has given more than forty years in the field and continues to provide O&M on a contractual basis in retirement. Many of us who are blind have received O&M services from Dr. Madison.

SCAER presented me with the Professional of the Year Award in honor of my work in the field of blindness education. It is a high honor and I am deeply humbled that they chose to recognize me.

The fourth quarter meeting of the NFB of SC Board of Directors is rapidly approaching and we are excited to share this time together conducting the business of the Federation. Additionally, we will have some social time together on Saturday evening as we share in the spirit of the season. We will reflect each week on things that we are thankful for during November. As your President, I am thankful for the NFB of SC and all of you who make it a spirited, fun-loving organization that can roll up its sleeves and do the hard work when it is required.

>From President Demetrius Williford and the Anderson Chapter -- The Anderson Chapter of the NFB OF SC invites you all to our Christmas event!
When: December 2, 2023 at 6:30 p.m.
Where: the Anderson Civic Center located at 3027 Martin Luther King Junior Blvd., Anderson, SC 29625.
Meal options: baked chicken with rice, green beans, squash casserole, macaroni and cheese, a roll and your choice of apple cobbler or cheesecake at $20 or  cube steak with rice and gravy, squash casserole, macaroni and cheese, green beans, a roll and apple cobbler or cheesecake at  $23.
There will be door prizes and a chance to win a TV.  Tickets for the TV raffle can be purchased at two for $5.00 or 3 for $10.00.  Raffle tickets can be purchased until December 1, 2023.
Please contact President Demetrius Williford at 864-685-9005 to purchase event or raffle tickets. Event tickets must be purchased by November 16, 2023 at 5:00 p.m. Our cash app is $NFBAndersonChapter or you can send a money order or check made out to the NFB Anderson Chapter to  1306 W. And Ave., Anderson, SC 29625.
If anyone would like to stay overnight, we also have a block of rooms at the holiday inn, which is located at 3509 Clemson Blvd., Anderson, SC 29621. The cost per night is $105 plus 11% sales tax per night if you are eating breakfast. Call 864-226-1000. Let them know that you are staying underneath the Anderson Chapter of the blind block. Rooms are available December 1-3, 2023.

The Friends of Rocky Bottom fundraising campaign is now underway and will conclude on December 31, 2023. There are a variety of prizes available for those who contribute in certain amounts. This will assist Rocky Bottom with the winter months when income is low and rentals are non-existent. Individually and as chapters or divisions, please consider what you can give. For more information about this fundraiser, contact Thom Spittle at 803-331-3344 or via e-mail at nfbsc.lab.4 at gmail.com<mailto:nfbsc.lab.4 at gmail.com> for additional information.

The Clarendon County Chapter of the NFB of SC is raffling off a beautiful braille afghan made and donated by Glenda Culick who is a member of the chapter. The afghan will cover a queen sized bed. Tickets are $2 each or 3 for $5. The drawing will take place at the conclusion of the state board meeting on November 18, 2023. To get your tickets, contact any of the Clarendon County members including myself.

Things to Remember

  *   We Care Birthday Fundraiser
  *   Friends of Rocky Bottom Fundraiser
  *   State Dues
  *   Chapter Elections
  *   Clarendon County Afghan Raffle
  *   Rocky Bottom Board Retreat - November 17-19, 2023

Here is David Houck's Federation Facing Fact.

The Blind Who Lead the Blind will provide background information on each board member over the next fifteen Positive Notes. We continue with Linda Dizzley, District 5 Board Member of the NFB of SC this week.

Linda Dizzley, a native of Lee County, South Carolina was born and raised in Bronx, New York.   She attended school up to the third grade in Lee County before returning to New York.   While living in New York, she remembered experiencing severe headaches and sensitivity to light which sent her to the emergency room.  She also remembered trying to cross a three-lane highway to get to her nearest supermarket and was nearly hit by several vehicles at different times, including an ambulance.  It began to take a toll on her as she could not understand what was happening.

It was not until she relocated her family to South Carolina and attempted to get her driver's license that it was discovered that Linda had Stargardt Disease, a form of Macular Degeneration.  It was devastating to her but after about a week, she decided that it was not going to be the end of her life, she was determined to get through this because of her faith in God.
After being recruited to the National Federation of the Blind, by Dr. Donald Capps, she felt that there was hope, knowing that there were others experiencing blindness and supporting each other. She lost contact with the NFB  but was reconnected with the organization in 2011 when she was recruited to restart the Lee County Chapter, where she became president and still serves in that position as well as the district 5. Board Member.  She is truly grateful to the members of the National Federation of the Blind who gave her hope, encouragement and support and many of them have become a second family.  She especially thanks Debra Canty for her unwavering guidance and Lenora Robertson for her continued push to learn braille which has truly been beneficial to her.  She is grateful to her husband and wonderful children for their support.

While in New York, she attended Monroe Business College for computers as well as the New York Institute of Photography. Which led her to become a blind photographer and videographer and was in the process of attending the Fashion Institute of New York.  After relocating to South Carolina she furthered her education in Medical Transcription and Early Childhood Education. She has worked in several corporations such as the Internal Revenue, Blue Cross and Blue Shield, various hospitals and schools while being blind, which shows that "blindness is not what holds you back".

In her spare time, she enjoys singing, growing her business of designing edible and wearable apparels, which includes braille, crafting, reading, writing and teaching braille, motivating, educating, encouraging and supporting others when it comes to blindness and advocating for the blind.

Because it was difficult for her parents and several family members to accept the diagnosis of her being blind, she is grateful to her NFB family, locally, statewide and nationally for giving her hope and vows to spend the rest of her life educating others about blindness and the National Federation of the Blind and the tools that you need to help you live the life you want and be successful.  "If I can Help Somebody, Then My Living Shall Not Be In Vain".

Marty

Marty R. McKenzie, President
National Federation of the Blind of South Carolina
119 S. Kilbourne Road
Columbia, SC 29205
Phone: 803-254-3777
Mobile: 843-939-8091