[NFBofSC] Positive Note 1941

Marty McKenzie marty2music at outlook.com
Mon Oct 23 11:00:18 UTC 2023

October 23, 2023
Memo To:  Executive Officers, Board Members, Chapter & Division Presidents & Others
From:  Marty R. McKenzie, President
Positive Note 1941
843-939-8091  marty2music at outlook.com

Dear Federation Family,

Blind Equality Achievement Month (BEAM) continues with just over a week to go. Linda Dizzley, President of the Lee County Chapter, shared a brief video with me from a part of the Lee County Chapter's BEAM celebration. From the video, it was clear that everyone was having a great time celebrating BEAM. If your chapter held a BEAM event that has not been featured in the Positive Note, please share it with me for the final release in October.

The Clarendon County Chapter of the NFB of SC is raffling off a beautiful braille afghan made and donated by Glenda Culick who is a member of the chapter. The afghan will cover a queen sized bed. Tickets are $2 each or 3 for $5. The drawing will take place at the conclusion of the state board meeting on November 18, 2023. To get your tickets, contact any of the Clarendon County members including myself.

At this time, it looks like the Rocky Bottom Board Retreat will be one of the largest in several years and we are excited to welcome new and returning board members to Rocky Bottom. We are also excited to welcome Lenora Robertson and her kitchen crew who always prepare excellent meals while we are there. If you have not made your reservation with Thom Spittle for November 17-19, 2023, please do so quickly as space is limited.

As a co-chair of the Legislative and Advocacy committee, David Houck submitted a letter to a House of Representatives member in support of increasing the Homestead Act from $50,000 to $100,000. A bill was introduced last year to increase this to $75,000 but it did not pass. Watch for more information on this legislative initiative.

Things to Remember

  *   We Care Birthday Fundraiser
  *   BEAM Events
  *   State Dues
  *   Chapter Elections
  *   Clarendon County Afghan Raffle
  *   Rocky Bottom Board Retreat - November 17-19, 2023

Here is David Houck's Federation Facing Fact.

The Blind Who Lead the Blind will provide background information on each board member over the next fifteen Positive Notes. We continue with Frank Loza, District 3 Board Member of the NFB of SC this week.  Mr. Loza had this to share:

"I was raised in a small town in California where I was the only blind person.  Until I joined the National Federation of the Blind, I knew what it was to be blind and I learned not to hide my blindness.  I used to be a high partial blind person until I had my liver transplant surgery.  Then I became totally blind. I joined the National Federation of the Blind in January of 1998.  I have been in four different affiliates, California, Arkansas, Louisiana and South Carolina.  I have held every position that a chapter has.  I have attended NFB National Conventions and State Conventions in all the affiliates I have been in. I'm a strong believer in the philosophy of the National Federation of the Blind."

Joining the NFB is the best thing I did for my blindness.

Marty

Marty R. McKenzie, President
National Federation of the Blind of South Carolina
119 S. Kilbourne Road
Columbia, SC 29205
Phone: 803-254-3777
Mobile: 843-939-8091