[NFBofSC] NFB President’s Notebook - Week of 09/11/2023

Steve Cook cookcafe at sc.rr.com
Tue Sep 12 10:26:06 UTC 2023

President’s Notebook

National Federation of the Blind
Mark A. Riccobono
 <mailto:officeofthepresident at nfb.org> officeofthepresident at nfb.org
410-659-9314

Dear Federation Family,

I am writing this message from the shore of Lake Michigan. Weather left me in Wisconsin for one more day than I had planned. As many of you know, Milwaukee is my hometown. No matter the changes, it always has a feeling of home. I feel the same way about Federation gatherings. This past week I had the opportunity to gather for the first time with the Chicago chapter for the Presidential Release Live. Although it was a completely new experience, it felt very much like home. I deeply appreciate our Illinois leadership for hosting a series of great Federation activities during the past week.

As we are now fully into the fall convention season, I invite each of you to consider what you can do to make your Federation events feel even more welcoming and like home. The business of the organization is extremely important as it impacts the fabric of our lives. However, we should remember that we are not “merely” a social organization. This does not mean we are not social. We should remember that it is the personal connections that we build locally and across the nation that make all the difference. This is what allows us to plug into the social network at any Federation family event.

As I write this message seated at the kitchen table of friends I have known in this movement for almost three decades now, I am reminded how important those connections are to our collective success. As new people come into our movement, it is important that we extend to them the same warmth that is felt in our thirty-year-long relationships. During the past couple of weeks, Federation members have shared with me those moments where the affiliate or chapter that they first came to did not make them feel welcome. Fortunately, many of us overcome those first impressions but we should remember that many do not. It reminds me to both focus on the welcoming part of our brand but also not give up on people who do not connect with us after the first, second, or even tenth interaction.

Here's to a fall convention season full of connections.

Critical Actions:

Spam Text

If you received a text from “Mark A. Riccobono” at a 585 or 901 area code (or any other), please disregard/delete.

September Presidential Release Chapter Version Available:

The National Federation of the Blind  <https://nfb.org/resources/publications-and-media/presidential-releases> Presidential Release #530 chapter version is available. Please mark your calendars for the next Presidential Release scheduled for October 3, 2023, at 8:00 p.m., eastern, via Zoom from Louisville, Kentucky.

News:

Member Profile:

The self-service Member Profile tool launched last week, and we appreciate the feedback we've received from those who have explored it. If there are members within your chapter, division, or affiliate who have not received the email invitation to log in to the profile, please collect their names, email addresses, and the group they are a member of and send them to  <mailto:subscriptions at nfb.org> subscriptions at nfb.org so that we can provide the profile invite.

Congress Is Back in Session:

Following their annual August recess, both the House and the Senate are back in session starting Tuesday, September 12. This is a perfect time to contact your senators and representatives and urge them to cosponsor some of our key pieces of legislation before the end of the year. In the House of Representatives, please ask your representative to cosponsor both the Medical Device Nonvisual Accessibility Act (H.R. 1328) and the Access Technology Affordability Act (H.R. 3702). In the Senate, please ask your senators to cosponsor the Access Technology Affordability Act (S. 1467). If you would like to know whether your representative or senators are already cosponsors on the above legislation, please contact Lindsey Walsh in our Advocacy and Policy Department at  <mailto:lwalsh at nfb.org> lwalsh at nfb.org.

Submit Blind Equality Achievement Month Activities:

Throughout October, members of the National Federation of the Blind conduct activities in our local communities such as white cane walks, film screenings, and social events. Please submit your affiliate or chapter-related #BlindMonth activities, including the  <https://nfb.org/programs-services/blind-equality-achievement-month/white-cane-awareness-day> white cane proclamations, with a brief description to  <mailto:web at nfb.org> web at nfb.org. They will be posted on the Blind Equality Achievement Month page at nfb.org/blind-month <http://nfb.org/blind-month> .

Celebrating Ten Years of the Marrakesh Treaty:

On Wednesday, September 13, at 1:00 p.m., the US Copyright Office is co-hosting an event with the National Library Service for the Blind and Print Disabled. The leaders of these organizations will discuss their personal knowledge of the development of the Marrakesh Treaty and share their understanding of its relevance and impact domestically and internationally. The featured speakers are Shira Perlmutter, the Register of Copyrights and Director of the US Copyright Office, and Jason Broughton, the Director of the National Library Service for the Blind and Print Disabled. Nancy Weiss, one of the members of the 2013 United States Delegation to the Diplomatic Conference where the Marrakesh Treaty was adopted, will moderate the discussion panel. To register to attend the event virtually please visit:  <https://loc.zoomgov.com/webinar/register/WN_2Ft4K6BJS_mmgHpl4fqJ7w> https://loc.zoomgov.com/webinar/register/WN_2Ft4K6BJS_mmgHpl4fqJ7w

Route 66 Ride for Literacy Celebration:

NHL referee Dan O’Rourke has completed the National Federation of the Blind Route 66 Ride for Literacy. He traveled over 2,700 miles by bike from Santa Monica, California, to Chicago, Illinois. The celebration and comments from President Riccobono, Dan O’Rourke, the Illinois affiliate, and Chicago chapter are available on  <https://www.youtube.com/live/3GFldPGreeY?si=-wCul3dPD_XqjQZj> the Nation’s Blind YouTube Channel. Please share this ride with your friends and family to raise awareness on the importance of Braille literacy and connecting with our community.

Dates to Keep in Mind: (all times eastern)

*	    October: Blind Equality Achievement Month
*	November 8: Introduction to the Organized Blind Movement, 8:00 p.m.
*	July 3-8, 2024: National Convention; Orlando, Florida

The NFB of SC now has our own podcast and we hope you will take a listen! Using your favorite podcast platform, search for “National Federation of the Blind of South Carolina” and enjoy! If you have any suggestions for our podcast, please send them to Steve Cook at  <mailto:cookcafe at sc.rr.com> cookcafe at sc.rr.com.