[NFBofSC] Positive Note 1965

president at nfbofsc.org president at nfbofsc.org
Mon Apr 8 01:29:25 UTC 2024

April 7, 2024

From:  Marty R. McKenzie, President

Positive Note 1965

843-939-8091   <mailto:president at nfbofsc.org> president at nfbofsc.org

Dear Federation Family,

We begin this Positive Note with the sad news of the passing of President
Mark Riccobono's father. As an affiliate, we extend our deepest sympathy to
President Riccobono and his family during this difficult time. Our thoughts
and prayers are with them all! Below is the obituary.

Born in Balestrate, Sicily, on November 9, 1950, Sebastian was the oldest
child of Antonino and Caterina Riccobono. When Sebastian was five, he and
his mother joined Antonino in the United States. He grew up in southern
Wisconsin with his four siblings Mary, Nicolo, Anthony, and Felix. Except
for his time in the military, he spent his life in Wisconsin.

Sebastian graduated from South Division High School in Milwaukee, Wisconsin,
in 1969. He entered the United States Navy on January 6, 1970, where he
served until December 12, 1973. He served as a firefighter on the USS
BORDELON in the Vietnam War. Like many heroes of his generation, he was
impacted by the extreme conditions of the war and exposure to Agent Orange
which led to health complications later in his life.

On June 12, 1971, he married Karen Lee Meyer and their only child, Mark
Anthony Riccobono, was born on July 27, 1976. Sebastian was a proud father
and an even prouder grandfather of his three grandchildren Cynthia, Oriana,
and Elizabeth (children of Mark and Melissa Riccobono of Baltimore,
Maryland).

Sebastian exemplified the ethic of hard-working Wisconsin residents, taking
on a number of jobs while giving back to his community and participating
actively in local politics. In the early 1990s, he entered real estate and
pursued a number of entrepreneurial ventures including establishing Dynamic
Real Estate Company. He always found time to contribute to the community
through associations like the Wauwatosa Lions Club and various
veterans-related causes.

Sebastian joins his parents and his brother Felix among the angels. We will
always remember the love he left within us.

Congratulations to Linda Dizzley who has been invited to participate in the
2024 National Federation of the Blind (NFB) IEP Advocacy Academy program!
This is a year-long training which will prepare Linda to assist parents of
blind children with IEP related matters. There is an in-person component and
then virtual follow-up trainings. Linda will also assist parents with IEP
related topics while at the National Convention. This is a huge honor and we
wish Linda well in this endeavor!

>From Steve Cook

If you have any upcoming events, meetings, comments or concerns about our
NFB of SC website, please send them to WebMaster at nfbofsc.org .

The Computer Science & Technology Division of the NFB of SC hopes you will
join us by purchasing popcorn during our Double Goode popcorn Fundraiser!
All of the money raised will go toward a scholarship to be given out at our
NFB of SC State Convention in August!

The Double Goode popcorn Fundraiser aims to open doors of opportunity for
deserving students by providing financial support for their educational
endeavors. Through this fundraiser, we invite individuals, businesses, and
organizations to invest in the future of promising students who demonstrate
academic excellence, leadership potential, and a commitment to their
communities. By purchasing popcorn during our Double Goode pop Corn
Fundraiser, donors not only assist in alleviating the financial burden of
tuition fees but also play a vital role in shaping the next generation of
leaders and innovators. Every purchase, no matter the amount , brings us
closer to our goal of empowering students to pursue their dreams and reach
their fullest potential. Together, we can make a profound and lasting impact
on the lives of aspiring scholars, ensuring that financial constraints never
hinder their pursuit of knowledge and achievement. Join us in creating a
brighter future, one scholarship at a time.

You can purchase your Double Good Popcorn from our store using the link at
the bottom of this message. Find your favorite flavors of popcorn, or choose
combo packs. Popcorn makes great gifts for birthdays, welcome baskets,
sharing with friends, and many other reasons. You can have this wonderful
popcorn shipped to your address or even purchase for another friend or
family member and have it shipped to them. If you purchase your favorite
flavor, you will save more when you purchase 3 or more bags of one flavor.
Your wonderful popcorn will be ship within 1 - 2 weeks from the time you
place your order. Our store will be open until 5:00 PM on April 11, 2024.

Again all of the money raised will go toward a scholarship for a deserving
student to advance their education! The link is
<https://popup.doublegood.com/s/9d0pf65u>
https://popup.doublegood.com/s/9d0pf65u.

Kenneth Jernigan Scholarship applications are now available at
<https://nfb.org/get-involved/national-convention/kenneth-jernigan-conventio
n-scholarship>
https://nfb.org/get-involved/national-convention/kenneth-jernigan-convention
-scholarship. These applications are for first-time convention attendees.
There are specific requirements first-timers are expected to meet.
Additionally, you will need a recommendation from your state president.
Please reach out to me to schedule a time for a brief interview before I
write your letters of recommendation. All Kenneth Jernigan Scholarship
materials are due by April 15, 2024.

The 10th Annual Advocacy Day for Access and Independence (ADAI) will take
place on Tuesday, April 16, 2024, from 10:00 a.m. - 12:00 noon on the north
steps of the SC State House. This will be a fun time with snacks, free
T-Shirts, and a lively program with speakers from the disability community,
lawmakers, and advocates. Visit  <http://www.unlockingbarriers-sc.org>
www.unlockingbarriers-sc.org for more information about this event. One of
the speakers this year will be our very own Jesus Ramirez from Successful
Transitions. Please join us to support the greater disability community of
our state as we take collective action to improve the public's awareness of
our strengths and barriers to independence. The National Federation of the
Blind of South Carolina is one of over 70 organizations that are a part of
this effort making up the SC Access for Independence Network (SCAIN. If you
have any questions, you can contact me Shannon Cook as the NFB of SC ADAI
Rep at 803-605-4250 or call Able-SC at 803-779-5121.

Midlands Gives will take place on May 7, 2024, and once again the NFB of SC
and Rocky Bottom are participating.  Rocky Bottom hopes to win the Power
Hour from twelve to one PM on that day by achieving the most unique
donations.  Unique donations are determined by name, email address and
credit card number, and a minimum ten dollar donation is required. To
donate, visit  <http://www.midlandsgives.org/nfbofsc>
www.midlandsgives.org/nfbofsc or  <http://www.midlandsgives.org/rockybottom>
www.midlandsgives.org/rockybottom. You can also call the Federation Center
on May 7, 2024 for assistance giving online. You may also give $10 through
your local chapter and this can be applied to the Power Hour. Please reach
out to Valerie Warrington at treasurer at nfbofsc.org or to Marty McKenzie for
additional information.

>From the Fundraising Committee, Co-chaired by Debra Canty and Andrew Adams

The National Federation of the Blind of South Carolina will host a Family
Fun Day on June 1, 2024 at Weston Lakes in Hopkins SC. This is a time for
fellowship, food, and fun! In order for this to be a success, we are
requesting chapters and divisions to donate $50  in order to secure the
venue as well as members of  the state affiliate to collect donations in the
form of gift cards from local grocery stores and businesses in their areas.
This event is a giveback to the members  of the affiliate to show our
appreciation for everything you do! Please contact Andrew Adams at
<mailto:adams.andrew at gmail.com> adams.andrew at gmail.com or via telephone at
803-269-3803 to obtain a copy of the donation letter.

Registration for the National Convention is now open.  The event will take
place July 3-8 in Orlando, Florida.  The registration cost is $25 and
banquet tickets are $75. You can go to
<https://nfb.org/get-involved/national-convention>
https://nfb.org/get-involved/national-convention to locate additional
information about the National Convention as it becomes available.

The Embassy Suites is now accepting reservations for the National Federation
of the Blind of South Carolina State Convention being held on August 15-18,
2024. Rooms can be booked at $112 plus tax and any applicable fees for
singles, doubles, triples and quads. You may call the Embassy Suites at
803-252-8700. Reference the NFB of SC State Convention to obtain the special
rate. Members are not being charged the first night's room; instead, a hold
is placed on your card until check-in. The cut-off for room reservations is
July 25, 2024.

Registration for the National Federation of the Blind of South Carolina
State Convention is now live!  The cost is $85 for adults, $55 for students
and $25 for children under eighteen. These prices all adjust upward after
July 25, 2024. Please visit  <https://nfbofsc.org/node/178>
https://nfbofsc.org/node/178 to register online. If you need assistance to
register online, , please contact me and someone will assist you.

>From Lori Anne Coley, President, Sports and Recreation Division

Our Sports And Rec fundraiser is extended to August, coinciding with the
state convention. All purchased tickets remain valid. Purchase $20 tickets
for a chance to win big, including a $750 and a $250 giveaway. Contributions
support our Sports Camp Week for the Blind at Rocky Bottom Retreat and
Conference Center of the Blind in Upstate South Carolina. Led by the NFBSC
Sports and Rec Division, our mission is inclusive sports. Purchase tickets
via PayPal at  <https://www.paypal.me/sportrecnfbsc>
https://www.paypal.me/sportrecnfbsc or Zelle at srnfbsc21 at yahoo.com. Goal:
sell 100+ tickets by August 17, 2024, with the drawing at the state
convention. Spread the word! For more information, contact Lori Anne Coley
at 803-316-9838.

NFB of SC Scholarship Announcement 2024

Let's do more in 24! We are springing into the 2024 NFB of SC Scholarship
Program season. With the state convention being August 15 - 18, 2024, the
deadline for scholarship applications is 11:59 p.m. June 20, 2024. The
committee will meet about one month before the state convention to select
the top three applicants and winners will be notified following the meeting.
The updated scholarship application is now available at
<https://nfbofsc.org/scholarship-program>
https://nfbofsc.org/scholarship-program.  Please also remember that the
scholarship program operates exclusively on donations. If you, your chapter,
your division, your civic organization, church etc., would like to
contribute a scholarship or donate to the Metro Fund, please contact me,
Shannon Cook at  <mailto:scholarships at nfbofsc.org> scholarships at nfbofsc.org
or 803-605-4250. Please help us get the word out about the program. If you
or someone you know is in post-secondary education full time, please
encourage them to apply for a scholarship! Thank you.

Things to Remember

*	Kenneth Jernigan Scholarship Applications due by April 15, 2024
*	Midlands Gives on May 7, 2024
*	Family Fun Day on June 1, 2024
*	National Convention room reservations due by May 31, 2024
*	National Convention dates are July 3-8, 2024 at the Rosen Center
Hotel in Orlando, Florida
*	NFB of SC Scholarship applications are due by June 20, 2024 at 11:59
p.m.
*	NFB of SC State Convention Registration and Room Reservations are
due by July 25, 2024.

Marty

Marty R. McKenzie, President

National Federation of the Blind of South Carolina

119 S. Kilbourne Road

Columbia, SC 29205

Phone: 803-254-3777

Mobile: 843-939-8091