[NFBofSC] NFB President’s Notebook - Week of 04/08/2024

Steve Cook cookcafe at sc.rr.com
Tue Apr 9 22:51:06 UTC 2024

Dear Federation Family,

Let me take a moment to thank those of you who have personally reached out to me during the past week regarding the unexpected passing of my father. The support from each of you means more than I could ever convey in words. The depth of the Federation family never surprises but it does always humble me. I am honored to be part of this community with you.

April Presidential Release:

The April Presidential Release chapter version <https://nfb.org/resources/publications-and-media/presidential-releases>  is available for chapter meetings. Please note the podcast format is now updated. The next live presidential release is scheduled for Wednesday, May 1, 2024, at 8:00 p.m., eastern. Zoom TBD.

News:

2024-2025 NFB Teachers of Tomorrow Cohort—Applications Now Open:
Teachers of Tomorrow is an immersive professional development program that connects teachers of blind and low-vision students to the lived experiences of blind people. The program will equip the participants with knowledge of the skills and attitudes that can help blind students thrive in school and beyond. Please encourage teachers of blind students in your affiliate to apply for this opportunity, and help circulate the application information to any university programs that prepare teachers of blind students where you have contacts. For more information visithttps://nfb.org/programs-services/education/teachers-tomorrow. The application period will end on May 3, 2024.

Where the Blind Work Webinar:

Thursday, April 18, 2024, 8:00-9:00 p.m., eastern, via Zoom

The National Federation of the Blind champions cultural and economic equity in society. We firmly uphold the belief that blind people possess the inherent ability to pursue our career aspirations. Join us for an enlightening discussion featuring an impressive panel of blind entrepreneurs who constantly trailblaze the path to professional success. Our panelists are:

*         Shelby Ball, BEP Owner and Operator, Georgia

*         J.J. Meddaugh, Owner and Operator of AT Guys, Michigan

*         William Ruffin, BEP Owner and Operator, Maryland

Register at Where the Blind Work Webinar <https://nfb.org/programs-services/employment/where-the-blind-work-webinars-registration> .

National Association of Blind Students Rocky Mountain Seminar:

Friday, May 17, 5:00 p.m. – Sunday, May 19, 2024, 12:00 p.m., MST.

Climb higher with us at the National Association of Blind Students (NABS) Rocky Mountain Regional Seminar. Immerse yourself in a transformative experience with engaging workshops, skill-building activities, and unparalleled networking opportunities. Registration closes May 3. Be sure to secure your spot at the Denver Marriott South at Park Meadows: Rocky Mountain Seminar Registration Form. <https://nabslink.org/civicrm/event/register?reset=1&id=3>

Please direct questions to NABS board member Manahil Jafri at manahiljafri at gmail.com <mailto:manahiljafri at gmail.com> .

Discriminatory Driver’s License Requirements in Job Applications:

Many employers illegally require driver’s licenses in job applications when driving is not an essential function of the job. To combat this, the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission (EEOC) needs as many charges of discrimination as possible before they can file suit on behalf of blind people. Federal law requires that we file a charge of discrimination with the EEOC before any further action can be taken. If you have been discriminated against in this manner, please contact the EEOC. To start the process, you can schedule your intake interview with the EEOC at https://publicportal.eeoc.gov/Scheduling/login. Please contact our legal program coordinator, Sanho Steele-Louchart, with any questions. Sanho can be reached at legal at nfb.org <mailto:legal at nfb.org>  and at 410-659-9314, extension 2440.

Letter Regarding Accessible Vote-by-Mail Sent to 253 Texas Counties:

On July 27, 2023, the United States District Court for the Western District of Texas San Antonio Division held that Bexar County violated Title II of the ADA by providing only a paper absentee ballot that was inaccessible to blind people. This case was brought by the National Federation of the Blind of Texas, the Coalition of Texans with Disabilities, and three blind voters. The Court ordered Bexar County to provide a remote, accessible, vote-by-mail system that would grant blind voters the same opportunity provided to voters without disabilities. On March 29, 2024, the National Federation of the Blind sent a letter to the other 253 counties in Texas <https://nfb.org/programs-services/advocacy/policy-statements/letter-sent-253-texas-counties-regarding-remote>  reminding them of their legal obligation to provide blind voters an accessible way to privately and independently mark an absentee ballot. The letter can be read on the Policy Statements page <https://nfb.org/programs-services/advocacy/policy-statements>  of our website.

Dates to Keep in Mind:

(all times eastern)

*	April 15: Deadline for Bolotin Award <https://nfb.org/programs-services/scholarships-and-awards/dr-jacob-bolotin-awards/application-information>  nominations
*	May 1: Deadline for Distinguished Educator of Blind Children Award <https://nfb.org/programs-services/scholarships-and-awards/distinguished-educator-blind-students-award>  nominations
*	July 3-8: National Convention; Orlando, Florida

Introduction to the Organized Blind Movement

*	Wednesday, May 8, 8:00 p.m.
*	Wednesday, August 7, 8:00 p.m.
*	Wednesday, November 6, 8:00 p.m.

Chapter Presidents Calls

*	Thursday, June 13, and Sunday, June 16, at 8:00 p.m.
*	Thursday, September 12, and Sunday, September 15, at 8:00 p.m.
*	Thursday, December 19, and Sunday, December 22, at 8:00 p.m.

Mark A. Riccobono, President
National Federation of the Blind
200 East Wells Street, Baltimore, MD 21230
410-659-9314 | Officeofthepresident at nfb.org <mailto:Officeofthepresident at nfb.org>

Please engage with me through Riccobono Personal AI <https://riccobono.personal.ai/messaging/profile>
Mastodon: @President at nfb.social
Pronouns: he, him, his

 <https://nfb.org/>

                          <http://www.facebook.com/nationalfederationoftheblind>      <https://twitter.com/NFB_Voice>      <https://www.youtube.com/NationsBlind>

Dorothy Griffin - President

National Federation of the Blind of Georgia

dgriffin at nfbga.org <mailto:dgriffin at nfbga.org>

770-374-4832