[NFBofSC] NFB President’s Notebook - Week of 02/05/2024

Steve Cook cookcafe at sc.rr.com
Thu Feb 8 11:16:08 UTC 2024

President’s Notebook

National Federation of the Blind

Mark A. Riccobono

 <mailto:officeofthepresident at nfb.org> officeofthepresident at nfb.org

410-659-9314

Dear Federation Family,

Thanks to each of you for a very successful time on the Hill. I encourage you to send any feedback about the 2024 Washington Seminar to John Paré <mailto:jpare at nfb.org>  so we can use it in our debriefing and planning for 2025. In the meantime, do not lose track of the fact that we have to keep the pressure on Congress. Please assign members to follow up and continue the work to secure cosponsors. We have plenty of time to get bills passed before the November elections take over decision making in Washington, DC.

Critical Actions:

February Presidential Release:

The  <https://nfb.org/resources/publications-and-media/presidential-releases> February Presidential Release recording and transcript are available for chapter meetings. Please note that we are currently experiencing technical difficulties with our presidential release podcast format. Please use  <https://nfb.org/resources/publications-and-media/presidential-releases> the release webpage or NFB-NEWSLINE® to access the presidential release. The next live presidential release is scheduled for February 29, 2024, at 8:00 p.m., eastern. Zoom TBD.

Washington Seminar:

2024 Washington Seminar Recap:

Last week we held our annual Washington Seminar. Federation members conducted over four hundred meetings with their senators and representatives in Congress. The week began with our traditional Great Gathering-In on Monday, January 29, where Representative Pete Aguilar (CA-33), Chair of the House Democratic Caucus, delivered remarks. Representative Aguilar’s grandfather was a Randolph-Sheppard Vendor in the San Bernardino County Courthouse, so he is very familiar with that program, as well as some of the other issues blind Americans face.

On Tuesday, January 30, we had our annual Congressional Reception in the Cannon Caucus Room of the Cannon House Office Building. This year’s reception was sponsored by Waymo. Fifteen members of Congress attended the reception, and most of them delivered remarks.

Thank you to everyone who traveled to Washington, DC, for this year’s event, and we look forward to making next year’s Washington Seminar even better.

Washington Seminar Great Gathering-In:

The Great Gathering-In is the very exciting opening session of the Washington Seminar. You can access the remarks, watch the live stream, or read the transcript.

Read  <https://nfb.org/blog/significance-2024-washington-seminar> Presidential Remarks about the Significance of Washington Seminar

Watch the  <https://www.youtube.com/live/tUzrJ7w0aOU?si=P7Tonn5_vxRvGDlS&t=66> Great Gathering-In live stream on YouTube

Read the  <https://nfb.org/programs-services/advocacy/washington-seminar/2024-great-gathering-transcript> Great Gathering-In Transcript

Share Stories from Washington Seminar—Write an Article:

We are looking to hear about your experiences during the 2024 Washington Seminar. Who was at Washington Seminar for the first time? What stories did members share with their representatives that can be shared more? If you or someone in your affiliate is interested in writing an article about being in DC, please send an email to  <mailto:story at nfb.org> story at nfb.org. If you are not sure about writing, we can help! We are excited to help share your stories in future communications.

News:

Legislative Update:

In the week following the 2024 Washington Seminar we gained seventeen new cosponsors on our legislation between the House and the Senate. In the House, the Websites and Software Applications Accessibility Act gained eight new cosponsors to bring the total number up to twelve. Also in the House, the Medical Device Nonvisual Accessibility Act gained eight new cosponsors to bring the total number up to sixty-one. In the Senate, the Access Technology Affordability Act gained one new cosponsor to bring the total number up to eighteen. We may all be back home now that our time in the nation’s capital is over, but that doesn’t mean that the work stops. Please continue to follow up with your members of Congress and urge them to cosponsor our legislation.

#NFB24 Book Your Hotel:

Join us for the 2024 National Convention of the National Federation of the Blind, July 3 through July 8, in Orlando, Florida, at the Rosen Centre. Our 2024 room rate for singles and doubles is $129; for triples and quads, the rate is $139. Occupancy taxes and surcharges are an additional 13.5 percent. To book your room, call the hotel at 800-204-7234. Ask for the “NFB Convention” block. At the time you make a reservation, a $146 deposit is required for each room reserved. If you use a credit card, the deposit will be charged against your card immediately, just as would be the case with a $146 check. If a reservation is canceled before Saturday, June 1, 2024, half of the deposit will be returned. Otherwise, refunds will not be made.

Submit Nominations for the 2024 Bolotin Awards:

The National Federation of the Blind is accepting nominations of individuals or organizations who are a positive force in the lives of blind people and help us transform dreams into reality. Each application must include a letter of recommendation. Learn more and submit a nomination for the 2024 Dr. Jacob Bolotin Awards <https://nfb.org/programs-services/scholarships-and-awards/dr-jacob-bolotin-awards/application-information> .

Catch Up on Content and Share on Social Media:

Highlights, news, and stories are available in the most recent Braille Monitor, Future Reflections, Nation’s Blind Podcast, and Voice of the Nation’s Blind Blog. The following are National Federation of the Blind publications for you to access and share with Federationists. These articles and episodes are great to share on affiliate and division social media to create discussions on various topics.

 <https://nfb.org/images/nfb/publications/bm/bm24/bm2402/bm2402tc.htm> February Braille Monitor

 <https://nfb.org/images/nfb/publications/fr/fr42/4/fr4204tc.htm> Future Reflections, Fall 2023

 <https://nfb.org/resources/publications-and-media/nations-blind-podcast> Nation’s Blind Podcast episode, “Washington Seminar”

Blog article, “ <https://nfb.org/blog/coming-full-circle-investing-myself-and-our-community-mentors-training-and-scholarships> Coming Full Circle: Investing in Myself and Our Community with Mentors, Training, and Scholarships”

Dates to Keep in Mind:

(all times eastern)

*  April 15, 2024: Deadline for  <https://nfb.org/programs-services/scholarships-and-awards/dr-jacob-bolotin-awards/application-information> Bolotin Award nominations

*  July 3-8, 2024: National Convention; Orlando, Florida