[NFBofSC] Positive Note 1957

president at nfbofsc.org president at nfbofsc.org
Mon Feb 12 02:42:46 UTC 2024

February 11, 2024

From:  Marty R. McKenzie, President

Positive Note 1956

843-939-8091   <mailto:president at nfbofsc.org> president at nfbofsc.org

Dear Federation Family,

The Sweethearts Ball was held last evening at the Cathy Novinger Girl Scout
Leadership Center in downtown Columbia. Andrew Adams reported all went well
and everyone had a great time. Additional information about this event will
come in the Positive Note next week.

The National Federation of the Blind of South Carolina will hold its first
quarter board meeting on Saturday, February 17, 2024 beginning at 10:00 a.m.
and concluding no later than 3:00 p.m. at the Federation Center of the Blind
located at 119 S. Kilbourne Road, Columbia, SC 29205. This meeting is open
but is in-person only. No Zoom attendance is permitted. If an executive
session is required, the board room will be cleared until that session
concludes. For additional information, please contact Marty McKenzie,
President, at 843-939-8091 or via e-mail at  <mailto:president at nfbofsc.org>
president at nfbofsc.org.

>From the President's Notebook

Washington Seminar:

2024 Washington Seminar Recap:

Last week we held our annual Washington Seminar. Federation members
conducted over four hundred meetings with their senators and representatives
in Congress. The week began with our traditional Great Gathering-In on
Monday, January 29, where Representative Pete Aguilar (CA-33), Chair of the
House Democratic Caucus, delivered remarks. Representative Aguilar's
grandfather was a Randolph-Sheppard Vendor in the San Bernardino County
Courthouse, so he is very familiar with that program, as well as some of the
other issues blind Americans face.

On Tuesday, January 30, we had our annual Congressional Reception in the
Cannon Caucus Room of the Cannon House Office Building. This year's
reception was sponsored by Waymo. Fifteen members of Congress attended the
reception, and most of them delivered remarks.

Thank you to everyone who traveled to Washington, DC, for this year's event,
and we look forward to making next year's Washington Seminar even better.

The National Convention will take place July 3-8, 2024 at the Rosen Center
Hotel in Orlando, Florida. Members should make hotel reservations early if
they wish to stay in the convention hotel.

>From Lori Anne Coley, President, Sports and Recreation Division

The NFB of SC Sports and Rec Division is Sponsoring a Saint Patrick's Day
jackpot, where the winner will have a chance at $750.  This drawing will
help to fund a sports camp for the blind of SC, and make equitable access to
sports a reality.  Tickets can be purchase for $20 each via PayPal:
<https://www.paypal.me/sportrecnfbsc> https://www.paypal.me/sportrecnfbsc or
by sending a check to the Federation Center.

Chapters and Divisions should have received their $5 Rocky Bottom Retreat
and Conference Center raffle tickets. Chairman Thom Spittle gave an overview
of the many capital projects needed at Rocky Bottom at the November Board
Retreat and at the recent Statewide Seminar. It is important that we sell as
many of these tickets as possible! The buyer of the winning ticket will
receive $500, the seller will receive $50 and the chapter or division
selling the most tickets will receive $300 for its treasury. All
Federationist are asked to put forth a special effort this year on this
fundraiser. The drawing will take place on March 23, 2024 at the Statewide
Leadership Seminar. I should note that the Clarendon County chapter came in
second last year and we are already working on first place this year!

There are several e-mail address changes to take note of for communication
within the NFB of SC. Please see the current list below. I will provide
additional updates as they occur. Thanks to Steve Cook for making this
happen! It is something our affiliate needed in place.

Marty McKenzie, President             <mailto:president at nfbofsc.org>
president at nfbofsc.org

Shannon Cook, Secretary               <mailto:secretary at nfbofsc.org>
secretary at nfbofsc.org

Valerie Warrington, Treasurer         <mailto:treasurer at nfbofsc.org>
treasurer at nfbofsc.org

Theresa Jenkins, Assistant Treasurer
<mailto:assistanttreasurer at nfbofsc.org> assistanttreasurer at nfbofsc.org

Thom Spittle, Membership and Mentoring Chair
<mailto:membership at nfbofsc.org> membership at nfbofsc.org

Applications Are Open

The 2024 online scholarship application is available at
<https://nfb.org/scholarships> https://nfb.org/scholarships. All
applications and supporting documentation must be submitted no later than
March 31, 2024. A list of eligibility requirements, as well as documents
containing answers to frequently asked questions, a submissions checklist,
and other supporting material can also be found on the scholarship webpage.
Throughout the application period, reminders and information about the
scholarship program will appear in the Braille Monitor, on our website, and
will be shared via social media. Please share!

Things to Remember

*	NFB of SC Board meeting on February 17, 2024 in-person only
*	Statewide Leadership Seminar for Chapter and Division Presidents and
NFB of SC board members on March 23, 2024 in-person only
*	Rocky Bottom Fundraiser Raffle drawing on March 23, 2024 - You do
not have to be present to win
*	National Scholarship Applications due by March 31, 2024
*	National Convention room reservations due by May 31, 2024
*	National Convention dates are July 3-8, 2024 at the Rosen Center
Hotel in Orlando, Florida

Marty

Marty R. McKenzie, President

National Federation of the Blind of South Carolina

119 S. Kilbourne Road

Columbia, SC 29205

Phone: 803-254-3777

Mobile: 843-939-8091