[NFBofSC] Positive note 1958

president at nfbofsc.org president at nfbofsc.org
Mon Feb 19 02:26:26 UTC 2024

February 18, 2024

From:  Marty R. McKenzie, President

Positive Note 1958

843-939-8091   <mailto:president at nfbofsc.org> president at nfbofsc.org

Dear Federation Family,

The National Federation of the Blind of South Carolina State Board meeting
was held on February 17, 2024 at the Federation Center of the Blind. The
board spent five hours together and the agenda was intense. The board did an
amazing job of addressing each topic presented. The board adopted several
policies pushed down by the National Office for affiliates and each one was
adopted unanimously. There were many other items covered on the agenda and
the board took its time and had very healthy conversations on many of these
topics. I am very fortunate to serve with such a wonderful Board of
Directors that take their responsibilities seriously and provide feedback in
a very positive and meaningful way! We also appreciate those who attended
the board meeting as observers and their contributions to the discussions.

A huge "thank you" to Isaiah Nelson and his assistant for preparing and
serving ham and turkey subs with sides! It was delicious and kept us moving
along. Isaiah always does an excellent job with our food needs.

>From Andrew Adams Regarding the Sweethearts Ball

The 2024 Sweethearts Ball exceeded all expectations, circulating warmth and
joy throughout the evening. With the announcement of the king and queen,
Gerald Mcmurray and Dorothy Hilton,  the excitement soared, adding a touch
of royalty to the already vibrant atmosphere. It was a night to remember
filled with the perfect combination of great food, music and stunning
decorations. Soul-stirring music was the perfect backdrop for fellowship and
connection. Amongst the laughter and camaraderie, members found relief from
life's burdens, embracing the opportunity to unwind and let go. Generous
door prizes added an extra element of delight, leaving attendees with
cherished memories and hearts full of gratitude. It was truly a night to
remember, filled with love, laughter and togetherness! Kudos to our caterers
and decorator Belinda and Terrill Banks and Kenya Hacket, DJ Butch for
providing the wonderful music, the Fundraising Committee for planning this
wonderful event and members of the organization and the community for
supporting this event!

>From Lori Anne Coley, President, Sports and Recreation Division

The NFB of SC Sports and Rec Division is Sponsoring a Saint Patrick's Day
jackpot, where the winner will have a chance at $750.  This drawing will
help to fund a sports camp for the blind of SC and make equitable access to
sports a reality.  Tickets can be purchase for $20 each via PayPal:
<https://www.paypal.me/sportrecnfbsc> https://www.paypal.me/sportrecnfbsc or
by sending a check to the Federation Center.

Chapters and Divisions should have received their $5 Rocky Bottom Retreat
and Conference Center raffle tickets. Chairman Thom Spittle gave an overview
of the many capital projects needed at Rocky Bottom at the November Board
Retreat and at the recent Statewide Seminar. It is important that we sell as
many of these tickets as possible! The buyer of the winning ticket will
receive $500, the seller will receive $50 and the chapter or division
selling the most tickets will receive $300 for its treasury. All
Federationist are asked to put forth a special effort this year on this
fundraiser. The drawing will take place on March 23, 2024 at the Statewide
Leadership Seminar. I should note that the Clarendon County chapter came in
second last year and we are already working on first place this year!

Kenneth Jernigan Scholarship applications are now available at
<https://nfb.org/get-involved/national-convention/kenneth-jernigan-conventio
n-scholarship>
https://nfb.org/get-involved/national-convention/kenneth-jernigan-convention
-scholarship. These applications are for first-time convention attendees.
There are specific requirements first-timers are expected to meet.
Additionally, you will need a recommendation from your state president.
Please reach out to me to schedule a time for a brief interview before I
write your letters of recommendation.

Applications Are Open

The 2024 online scholarship application is available at
<https://nfb.org/scholarships> https://nfb.org/scholarships. All
applications and supporting documentation must be submitted no later than
March 31, 2024. A list of eligibility requirements, as well as documents
containing answers to frequently asked questions, a submissions checklist,
and other supporting material can also be found on the scholarship webpage.
Throughout the application period, reminders and information about the
scholarship program will appear in the Braille Monitor, on our website, and
will be shared via social media. Please share!

Things to Remember

*	Statewide Leadership Seminar for Chapter and Division Presidents and
NFB of SC board members on March 23, 2024 in-person only
*	Rocky Bottom Fundraiser Raffle drawing on March 23, 2024 - You do
not have to be present to win
*	National Scholarship Applications due by March 31, 2024
*	Kenneth Jernigan Scholarship Applications due by April 15, 2024
*	National Convention room reservations due by May 31, 2024
*	National Convention dates are July 3-8, 2024 at the Rosen Center
Hotel in Orlando, Florida

Marty

Marty R. McKenzie, President

National Federation of the Blind of South Carolina

119 S. Kilbourne Road

Columbia, SC 29205

Phone: 803-254-3777

Mobile: 843-939-8091