[NFBofSC] Week of 02/21/2024

Steve Cook cookcafe at sc.rr.com
Fri Feb 23 00:05:23 UTC 2024

President’s Notebook

National Federation of the Blind

Mark A. Riccobono

officeofthepresident at nfb.org <mailto:officeofthepresident at nfb.org>

410-659-9314

Dear Federation Family,

As this is the week of Presidents’ Day (officially designated as Washington’s Birthday), I want to extend my gratitude for the leadership that you provide to our affiliates and divisions on a daily basis. I had the opportunity to speak on a panel with other people who have served as presidents in the organized blind movement during our Maryland convention this past weekend. One idea I attempted to express was how meaningful the little things that each of you do behind the scenes without fanfare are to our vitality. I understand the dozens of phone calls, the gentle nudges of the rehab systems, the quiet way you direct funding assistance to members in need every day. While we share in the big victories, remember that it is the little acts of kindness that you extend in your role that make the biggest difference in building our movement together. Thank you!

Speaking of quiet victories, last week I wrote a letter to Uber when we learned about an ad highlighting a blind person. You can read the letter to Uber here <https://nfb.org/programs-services/advocacy/policy-statements/letter-uber-ceo-stop-recent-ad-promoting-negative> . We received an immediate and positive response from Uber addressing our concern. I raise this because we are taking actions like this on a regular basis. While it might have been nice to throw more public shade at Uber, we also recognize we have friends there who hear our message and who want to move that organization in the right direction. So we gave them time to respond, and they accepted the responsibility. This is the value of having a strongly coordinated national movement that uses all the tools—gentle and forceful—in advancing our mission of equality. To be sure, we are keeping the pressure on Uber, but, in this one case, they get credit for acting swiftly. We will hold them accountable to follow through.

Critical Actions:

March Presidential Release:

The National Federation of the Blind  <https://nfb.org/resources/publications-and-media/presidential-releases> March Presidential Release is scheduled for February 29, 2024, at 8:00 p.m., eastern. Each presidential release live includes a question-and-answer session. Please submit questions early to  <mailto:cdanielsen at nfb.org> cdanielsen at nfb.org.  <https://nfb-org.zoom.us/j/98153925681> Zoom ID 981 5392 5681.

News:

Legislative Update:

Since the 2024 Washington Seminar, we have gained forty-nine new cosponsors on our legislation between the House and the Senate. In the House, the Websites and Software Applications Accessibility Act gained twenty-two new cosponsors to bring the total number up to twenty-six. The Medical Device Nonvisual Accessibility Act in the House gained nineteen new cosponsors to bring the total number up to seventy-two. The House version of the Access Technology Affordability Act gained seven new cosponsors, bringing the total number up to eighty-one. In the Senate, the Access Technology Affordability Act gained one new cosponsor to bring the total number up to eighteen. This is fantastic progress! Please continue to follow up with your members of Congress and urge them to cosponsor our legislation.

Black History Month Events:

In honor of Black History Month, the National Organization of Blind Black Leaders (NOBBL) is hosting several meetings and events on Zoom. There are two more: February 21 and February 27. Learn more about the upcoming NOBBL events <https://nfb.org/national-organization-blind-black-leaders-black-history-month-events> .

2024 Federation Song Contest:

Calling all dreamers, melody makers, and lyrical wizards! Craft your sonic masterpiece for the 2024 Performing Arts Division Federation Song Contest. You could win a spot at a special songwriting retreat at the prestigious home to the nation's oldest blindness movement. Don't let your sound dim; tune in to your muse and hit that submit button! <https://nfb-pad.org/songwriting>

Submit Nominations for Distinguished Educator of Blind Students Award:

The education of blind children is one of the National Federation of the Blind's highest priorities. Please help us recognize dedicated and innovative teachers who provide quality education and meaningful experiences and opportunities for their blind students. Nominate a teacher, counselor, or administrator of programs for blind students. Learn more about the Distinguished Educator of Blind Students Award <https://nfb.org/programs-services/scholarships-and-awards/distinguished-educator-blind-students-award> .

Submit Nominations for Blind Educator of the Year Award:

The  <https://nfb.org/programs-services/scholarships-and-awards/blind-educator-year-award> Blind Educator of the Year Award pays tribute to a blind teacher whose exceptional classroom performance, notable community service, and commitment to the organized blind movement merit national recognition. Submit nominations to the committee chairperson, Robin House, via email at  <mailto:robin at mindsrealm.net> robin at mindsrealm.net. Letters of nomination must be accompanied by a copy of the nominee’s current résumé and supporting documentation of community and Federation activity.

Save the Date:

The National Federation of the Blind Diabetes Action Network Seminar will be held on Friday, April 26, and Saturday, April 27, 2024, in St. Louis, Missouri, at the Hilton St. Louis Airport. The cost of a room is $111 a night, and, when you book be sure to request the room block under the name National Federation of the Blind. To reach the hotel call 314-426-5500.  <https://nfb.org/about-us/divisions-committees-and-groups/divisions/diabetes-action-network> More details on the seminar coming soon!

National Federation of the Blind IEP Advocacy Academy:

We are seeking blind adults and parents of blind or low-vision children willing to gain knowledge of Individual Education Programs (IEPs) to assist families with the future education of blind or low-vision students.

Parents can easily feel overwhelmed by the IEP process that is required to establish special education services for their child. Currently, there is a limited number of people that have the necessary knowledge to assist these families.

To address the extreme shortage of knowledgeable parent advocates for blind and low-vision students across the nation, the National Federation of the Blind (NFB), with support from the Lavelle Fund for the Blind, is offering an intensive IEP training opportunity. We invite interested parents and blind adults from every state to apply.

Participants will learn to serve as volunteer advocates in preparation for and/or attendance at IEP meetings for blind or low-vision students. Participants will gain an understanding of education law, learn how to develop a thorough and robust IEP, acquire advocacy strategies in order to empower parents to advocate for students and families, assist in and create the strongest possible IEPs for blind students, and learn to train other advocates in their perspective state.

For more information or to apply visit https://nfb.org/form/application-for-iep-advocacy-tra.

Dates to Keep in Mind: (all times eastern)

April 15: Deadline for Bolotin Award <https://nfb.org/programs-services/scholarships-and-awards/dr-jacob-bolotin-awards/application-information>  nominations

May 1: Deadline for Blind Educator of the Year Award <https://nfb.org/programs-services/scholarships-and-awards/blind-educator-year-award>  nominations

 May 1: Deadline for Distinguished Educator of Blind Students Award <https://nfb.org/programs-services/scholarships-and-awards/distinguished-educator-blind-students-award>  nominations

July 3-8, 2024: National Convention; Orlando, Florida

Introduction to the Organized Blind Movement

Wednesday, May 8, 8:00 p.m.

Wednesday, August 7, 8:00 p.m.

Wednesday, November 6, 8:00 p.m.