[NFBofSC] Our 2024 convention, Book Your Hotel

Steve Cook cookcafe at sc.rr.com
Fri Jan 5 11:24:13 UTC 2024

Convention Bulletin 2024

Rosen Centre Hotel at night.

As difficult as it may be to believe that 2023 has slipped by us in the
blink of an eye, we can be assured that a shiny new 2024 will follow on its
heels.

As we flip the calendar to January, it will again be time to plan for the
National Federation of the Blind’s National Convention. We were last at the
beautiful

Rosen Centre in Orlando, at 9840 International Drive, in 2015 for our 75th
anniversary convention. The outstanding Rosen staff will be rolling out the

red carpet to welcome us back this July 3 through 8.

Book Your Hotel

Our 2024 convention

room rate for singles and doubles is $129;

for triples and quads, the rate is $139.

Occupancy taxes and surcharges are an additional

13.5 percent. There is no charge for children under eighteen as long as no
extra bed is requested. Please note that the hotel is a no-smoking facility.

For 2024 convention room reservations you should call the hotel at (800)
204-7234 after January 1. Ask for the “NFB Convention” block. At the time
you

make a reservation, a

$146 deposit is required for each room reserved. If you use a credit card,
the deposit will be charged against your card immediately,

just as would be the case with a $146 check. If a reservation is cancelled
before Saturday, June 1, 2024, half of the deposit will be returned.
Otherwise

refunds will not be made.

Guest room amenities include a wall-mounted 50” HDTV with a multi-outlet
connectivity bar beneath to keep your devices charged and ready for the
complimentary

in-room Wi-Fi. Each room also offers an in-room safe, coffeemaker,
mini-fridge, and hairdryer. Guests can enjoy a swimming pool, fitness
center, and on-site

spa. Those of you who have attended past conventions at the Rosen Centre may
remember Café Gaugin buffet and the award-winning Everglades Restaurant. In

addition to these favorites, we will have an array of dining options from
sushi and tapas to Caribbean-Cuban poolside dining to a 24-hour deli.

Convention Schedule

The 2024 convention of the National Federation of the Blind will be a truly
exciting and memorable event, with an unparalleled program and rededication

to the goals and work of our movement.

list of 5 items

• A wide range of seminars for parents of blind children, technology
enthusiasts, job seekers, and other groups will kick the week off on
Wednesday, July

3. Convention registration and registration packet pick-up will also open on
Wednesday.

• Breakout sessions continue on Thursday, July 4, along with committee
meetings.

• Friday, July 5, will kick off with the annual meeting, open to all, of the
Board of Directors of the National Federation of the Blind. National
division

meetings will follow the board meeting that afternoon and evening.

• General convention sessions will begin on Saturday, July 6, and continue
through the afternoon of Monday, July 8.

• Convention ends on a high note with the banquet Monday evening, so be sure
to pack your fancy clothes. The fall of the gavel at the close of banquet

will signal convention’s adjournment. Make plans now to be a part of it.

list end

To assure yourself a room in the headquarters hotel at convention rates, you
should make reservations early. The hotel will be ready to take your call

beginning January 1.

Request for Door Prizes

Remember that as usual we need door prizes from state affiliates, local
chapters, and individuals. Prizes should be small in size but large in
value. Cash,

of course, is always appropriate and welcome. As a general rule we ask that
prizes of all kinds have a value of at least $25 and not include alcohol.
Drawings

will occur steadily throughout the convention sessions, and you can
anticipate a grand prize of truly impressive proportions to be drawn at the
banquet.

If you have a prize that must be shipped in advance of the convention,
please email affiliate president Paul Martinez at

president at nfbflorida.org <mailto:president at nfbflorida.org>

to make arrangements.

Countdown to Orlando

The best collection of exhibits featuring new technology; meetings of our
special interest groups, committees, and divisions; the most stimulating and

provocative program items of any meeting of the blind in the world; the
chance to renew friendships in our Federation family; and the unparalleled
opportunity

to be where the real action is and where decisions are being made—all of
these mean you will not want to miss being a part of the 2024 National
Convention.

We can’t wait to be with you in Orlando in July.