[NFBofSC] Positive Note 1954

president at nfbofsc.org president at nfbofsc.org
Mon Jan 22 03:13:16 UTC 2024

January 21, 2024

From:  Marty R. McKenzie, President

Positive Note 1954

843-939-8091   <mailto:president at nfbofsc.org> president at nfbofsc.org

Dear Federation Family,

For those of us who are native South Carolinians, the temperatures over the
last week have reminded us of just what winter can be like. Remembering a
long ago trip to the Rocky Bottom Board retreat, I traveled there with then
NFB of SC President Parnell Diggs and his lovely wife, Kim. Dr Donald Capps
and his lovely wife, Betty, were also present. We awoke Sunday morning to a
blanket of snow in the mountains. It was a beautiful sight, but what about
"going down the hill" as some of us call it? Needless to say, in the
interests of safety, we did not leave the camp until the roads were clear.
Now, others did not abide by that rule. Seeing Rocky Bottom with snow on the
ground is a marvelous blessing! Such fond memories of days gone by at Rocky
Bottom!

>From Andrew Adams and Debra Canty, Co-chairs of the Fundraising Committee

The National Federation of the Blind of South Carolina Fundraising Committee
invites you to the Sweethearts Ball on Saturday, February 10, 2024 from 5:30
to 9:30 p.m. at the Cathy Novinger Girl Scout Leadership Center, Located at
1107 Williams Street, Columbia, SC 29201. Tickets are $30 per person or $240
for a table of eight. Dress attire is semiformal and you will enjoy food,
music, dancing and good fellowship. Tickets can be purchased through PayPal
at  <http://www.nfbofsc.org> www.nfbofsc.org and click Donations or you can
send a check or money order to 119 S. Kilbourne Road, Columbia, SC 29205.
You must put Sweethearts Ball in the Notes block on the website or the Memo
field on the check. Ticket sales will close on February 8, 2024. For more
information, contact Andrew Adams at 803-269-3803 or Debra Canty at
803-775-5792.

>From the South Carolina Blind Merchants Division

The South Carolina Association of Blind merchants has something beautiful
for you. We all know that love is in the air as we approach valentine's Day,
and our affiliates annual sweethearts ball. This year the Blind Merchants
division will sell corsages and boutonnieres. Corsages are $20 and
boutonnieres are $15. If you buy both the cost is $30. All money must be in
by February 2, 2024. You can send the money to our cashapp at
$blindmerchantsofsc, or send a check to our treasurer Sean Rachal at 64
Clary Hill Drive, Aiken, SC 29805. Please make all checks out to Blind
Merchants of SC. For any questions feel free to reach out to our President
Belinda Banks at 864-909-5587, or Tiffiny Mitchell at 803-603-2098.

There are several e-mail address changes to take note of for communication
within the NFB of SC. Please see the current list below. I will provide
additional updates as they occur. Thanks to Steve Cook for making this
happen! It is something our affiliate needed in place.

Marty McKenzie, President             <mailto:president at nfbofsc.org>
president at nfbofsc.org

Shannon Cook, Secretary               <mailto:secretary at nfbofsc.org>
secretary at nfbofsc.org

Valerie Warrington, Treasurer         <mailto:treasurer at nfbofsc.org>
treasurer at nfbofsc.org

Theresa Jenkins, Assistant Treasurer
<mailto:assistanttreasurer at nfbofsc.org> assistanttreasurer at nfbofsc.org

Theresa Jenkins was recently appointed as Assistant Treasurer of the NFB of
SC. Theresa can be reached at the e-mail provided above. When contacting
Theresa to request any disbursement of funds, you must copy Valerie and
myself. As Theresa moves into this role, I will share other responsibilities
that she will take on in the coming months. We welcome Theresa to this new
role!

Applications Are Open

The 2024 online scholarship application is available at
<https://nfb.org/scholarships> https://nfb.org/scholarships. All
applications and supporting documentation must be submitted no later than
March 31, 2024. A list of eligibility requirements, as well as documents
containing answers to frequently asked questions, a submissions checklist,
and other supporting material can also be found on the scholarship webpage.
Throughout the application period, reminders and information about the
scholarship program will appear in the Braille Monitor, on our website, and
will be shared via social media. Please share!

Things to Remember

*	SC Association of Blind Merchants Fundraiser concludes on February
2, 2024
*	Sweethearts Ball on February 10, 2024
*	National Scholarship Applications due by March 31, 2024