[NFBofSC] President’s Notebook - Week of 01/22/2024

Steve Cook cookcafe at sc.rr.com
Tue Jan 23 23:59:07 UTC 2024

President’s Notebook

National Federation of the Blind

Mark A. Riccobono

officeofthepresident at nfb.org <mailto:officeofthepresident at nfb.org>

410-659-9314

Dear Federation Family,

As we plan to mobilize our members for Capitol Hill, it presents us with an opportunity to remind people about the core of our mission. We are a people’s movement and our role in the nation is to inform and guide the people’s government. We determined in 1940 that no one shall speak for us except for the democratically elected blind leaders we choose ourselves. During this time of year, we demonstrate the true power of that promise in action. We do not hire lobbyists to represent our interest. We do not determine our priorities based on the political winds of the time. We demonstrate in coming together the diverse and unified agenda of a nationwide movement of blind people when we share our collective voice in Washington, DC.

I encourage you to use this time to remind our members in local communities about the significance of the movement we have built together. Remind them about our power of coordinating our shared agenda. Also remind them that we must continue to speak and act for ourselves at all levels of government. Together we move mountains and mount movements.

Safe travels and, by the way, go Ravens!

Critical Actions:

Presidential Release Note:

The February Presidential Release will not be live. Please encourage members to attend the  <https://nfb.org/programs-services/advocacy/washington-seminar> Washington Seminar Great Gathering-In on Monday, January 29, at 5:00 p.m., eastern. The February Presidential Release recording will be made available by February 2, 2024.

Washington Seminar:

2024 Washington Seminar:

We are only days away from the Great Gathering-In and the official start of the 2024 Washington Seminar on Monday, January 29! Please be sure to visit our Washington Seminar page at nfb.org/Washington-seminar <http://nfb.org/Washington-seminar>  for all of the latest updates including the full event agenda, all of our fact sheets in four formats (Word, HTML, BRF, and audio), a description of the Holiday Inn Washington Capitol – National Mall, and a description of the United States Capitol Complex. If you aren’t able to be at the Holiday Inn for the Great Gathering-In, you can still access it via Zoom or live stream.

Join via Zoom:
Web: https://nfb-org.zoom.us/j/98156556455 <https://nfb-org.zoom.us/j/98156556455#success>
Or one tap mobile :
US: +13017158592,,98156556455# US (Washington DC) or +13052241968,,98156556455# US
Webinar ID: 981 5655 6455 <https://nfb-org.zoom.us/j/98156556455>

Access our live stream by asking your Amazon device to play "Nation's Blind."

News:

Promote the Scholarship Program Application:

The National Federation of the Blind scholarship program helps blind college students reach their educational and employment goals and so much more. Building on its strong foundation, we have enhanced the awards granted—making the experience even more inclusive, engaging, and meaningful for the thirty finalists. Each scholarship winner will receive $8,000. Please share the  <https://scholarships.nfb.org/sites/scholarships.nfb.org/files/2024-01/Scholarship-Program-2024-Flyer.docx> scholarship program flyer and website ( <https://scholarships.nfb.org/> scholarships.nfb.org) to affiliate and chapter listservs, rehab counsellors, parent groups, schools for the blind, other financial aid connections in your state, local blind groups on social media, and any other contacts that connect with blind students. There are more  <https://scholarships.nfb.org/marketing-materials> marketing materials in the Scholarship State President Dashboard.

Member Profile Reminder:

As chapters, affiliates, and divisions refresh information for the year ahead, remember that the Member Profile is a self-serve place on our website where members can update their contact information and preferences. Below is information about the Member Profile that you can provide to members.

*	To log in to your Member Profile, you must be a current member of the NFB with an email address that only you use. If you share an email address, only one person’s profile will be created. For example, if John and Sally Smith share an email address, only Sally will have a profile created for her.
*	Your username for the Member Profile is the email address associated with your membership. If you’re unsure of which email address that is, you can ask the membership coordinator for your entity.
*	If you did not activate your profile using the link in the email that was sent out last September, you will need to set a password by going to nfb.org <http://nfb.org/> , activating the link called “members,” entering your username, but instead of selecting “login,” you would go to the link that says “reset password.” There, you will re enter your username, and then you will receive an email with instructions on how to change your password.
*	Once logged in to your profile, you will be able to change contact and demographic information. You will also have access to member-exclusive benefits.

If you have trouble accessing your profile, please send an email tomembership at nfb.org <mailto:membership at nfb.org>  so that we can assist.

Medical Device Nonvisual Accessibility Act:

For the first time, the Medical Device Nonvisual Accessibility Act has been introduced in the Senate! On Thursday, January 18, Senator Maggie Hassan of New Hampshire and Senator Mike Braun of Indiana introduced S. 3621. This means that two of our Washington Seminar priorities now have legislation in both the House and the Senate. And we couldn’t have done it without all of you!

We Need Your Help with the Museum:

The museum campaign is still looking to expand its list of prospects and potential contributors. As you review your contacts, please identify anyone who would be interested in hearing more about the museum project, or who has the capability to pledge $10,000 or more. Affiliate presidents can expect an initial or follow-up call from Rachel Held to discuss your suggestions in the coming weeks.

Braille Readers Are Leaders Contest:

This is the final week for the Braille Readers Are Leaders Contest, sponsored by the American Action Fund for Blind Children and Adults. If you haven’t registered, you still can, if you have registered but haven’t logged any minutes, you can and should do that as well. For those of you who have logged minutes, completed activities, and secured some badges, don’t quit now. The last day to read was this past Friday. The final day for submitting your minutes will be Friday, January 26. Braille Rocks!

Update on Resolution 2023-05:

Per our Resolution 2023-05: Regarding Audio Delays During Live Radio Play-by-Play Broadcasts, the National Federation of the Blind is submitting a  <https://nfb.org/programs-services/advocacy/policy-statements/request-universal-solution-live-audio> request for a universal solution for live audio without broadcast delays to all major sports league commissioners. Please share the letter on social media and to your major league sports contacts. Here is a sample social media post that you can use to tag your state teams or favorite leagues.

Many blind people enjoy the shared experience of live sports and cheering on our team from the stands. The radio play-by-play typically provides the descriptive information that we need, but this experience often falls short of allowing our equal participation due to the broadcast delay applied to the radio commentary. We request a universal solution for live audio without broadcast delays from all major sports leagues. Read President Riccobono’s letter to the commissioners:  <https://nfb.org/programs-services/advocacy/policy-statements/request-universal-solution-live-audio> https://nfb.org/programs-services/advocacy/policy-statements/request-universal-solution-live-audio.

Convention Bulletin 2024:

As difficult as it may be to believe that 2023 has slipped by us in the blink of an eye, we can be assured that a shiny new 2024 will follow on its heels. As we flip the calendar to January, it will again be time to plan for the National Federation of the Blind’s National Convention. We were last at the beautiful Rosen Centre in Orlando, at  <https://www.google.com/maps/search/9840+International+Drive?entry=gmail&source=g> 9840 International Drive, in 2015 for our 75th anniversary convention. The outstanding Rosen staff will be rolling out the red carpet to welcome us back this July 3 through 8.

Book Your Hotel

Our 2024 convention room rate for singles and doubles is $129; for triples and quads, the rate is $139. Occupancy taxes and surcharges are an additional 13.5 percent. There is no charge for children under eighteen as long as no extra bed is requested. Please note that the hotel is a no-smoking facility.

For 2024 convention room reservations you should call the hotel at (800) 204-7234 after January 1. Ask for the “NFB Convention” block. At the time you make a reservation, a $146 deposit is required for each room reserved. If you use a credit card, the deposit will be charged against your card immediately, just as would be the case with a $146 check. If a reservation is cancelled before Saturday, June 1, 2024, half of the deposit will be returned. Otherwise refunds will not be made.

Guest room amenities include a wall-mounted 50” HDTV with a multi-outlet connectivity bar beneath to keep your devices charged and ready for the complimentary in-room Wi-Fi. Each room also offers an in-room safe, coffeemaker, mini-fridge, and hairdryer. Guests can enjoy a swimming pool, fitness center, and on-site spa. Those of you who have attended past conventions at the Rosen Centre may remember Café Gaugin buffet and the award-winning Everglades Restaurant. In addition to these favorites, we will have an array of dining options from sushi and tapas to Caribbean-Cuban poolside dining to a 24-hour deli.

Dates to Keep in Mind: (all times eastern)

*	Monday, January 29, 2024: Great Gathering-In
*	Tuesday, January 30, 2024: Congressional Reception (Washington Seminar)
*	January 29-February 1, 2024: Washington Seminar <https://nfb.org/programs-services/advocacy/washington-seminar>
*	April 15, 2024: Deadline for Bolotin Award <https://nfb.org/programs-services/scholarships-and-awards/dr-jacob-bolotin-awards/application-information>  nominations
*	July 3-8, 2024: National Convention; Orlando, Florida

Introduction to the Organized Blind Movement

*	Wednesday, February 7, 8:00 p.m.
*	Wednesday, May 8, 8:00 p.m.
*	Wednesday, August 7, 8:00 p.m.
*	Wednesday, November 6, 8:00 p.m.